Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 14:32   #1
BHPian

Beautiful Design of the Pulsar - a ripoff?

I have always appreciated the beauty of the Pulsar, especially the first lot with the round head-lights. I also appreciated the fact that it was not copied from anywhere, and was actually created by a good designer.

Imagine my suprise when I saw a larger, more butch and much better-looking version while in Milan..

The Pulsar design has totally been ripped off the older generation Honda Hornet. It's not even just a little, it's everything... They just scaled it down a bit and that's about it.. I looked a little on the internet but haven't found the perfect pic. It has to be seen in the flesh.

Never expected this from bajaj, but unfortunately that's how it is. The same people who crib and whine about the Chinese copying their designs have no scruples copying others.

Designers are definitely 'inspired' by their counterparts.. that's how it works, there has to be some limit to it though.

And guess where the tank-design for the discover comes from...

Sorry that I can't convey how alike they look with the picture I attached, this happens to be a more recent model. Believe me though when I say what I saw was exactly like the Pulsar

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2009 at 14:48. Reason: see note in post
Old 26th May 2009, 14:54   #2
BHPian

Dude the later generation of Pulsars were also ripped off of Suzie SVs. Welcome to reality!
Old 26th May 2009, 15:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
Sorry that I can't convey how alike they look with the picture I attached, this happens to be a more recent model. Believe me though when I say what I saw was exactly like the Pulsar
I think you have missed your attachment.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think this hardly matters to Bajaj. As long as they are able to sell bikes and gain profits out of it, the purpose of a business is fulfilled. The percentage of people making a hue and cry over a copied design is very very less.
You make a very good point there about the hue and cry over the Chinese copying the design to make it a Gulsar.
Talking of bike companies copying designs, MUL's zen is a scaled version of some other car, I think Toyota's some car model. I saw it in person and concluded.
And there are many.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I never liked Bajaj bikes with exception to eliminator.
They are hypocrites.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

I feel Zen Estilo is a scalled down version of Toyota Innova,
so we should nto call it as copying .. instead " proudly found elsewhere"
Old 26th May 2009, 15:19   #7
BANNED

I thought the Pulsar looked ugly.

Last edited by Spitfire : 26th May 2009 at 15:21.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Na Na. the type 2 zen, the model prior to the Estilo
Old 26th May 2009, 15:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think we are deviating from the topic here.

As far as designs are concerned there are always certain design patterns when it comes to a particular type of vehicle (be it cars, Bikes, SUVs, MUVs etc)

So most of the street sports bike in early 2000 & late 90s looked quite the same. They say all naked street sports bikes look like Ducati Monster.

Similar most of cruisers end up looking similar & ditto for others types. Its only recently that the designs have gone radical.

I remember a few years back most of us could not distinguish between different SBKs all that differentiated them was their Badge (Honda Suzuki etc).

What Chinese did was that they did an exact replica including a poor copy of the name.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2009 at 16:03.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Correct, but i'm talking about the ones which give you the : "hey that looks like xyz vehicle" feel
Old 26th May 2009, 16:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree, I think you are talking about Toyota Starlet which looked similar to the Old Zen.

I was replying to the thread starter.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:17   #12
BHPian

The pulsar tail and rear cowl is a straight lift from the Suzuki.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

So is the case with the RTR which has practically copied everything from the Pulsars. Ditto with the Apache which had its tail lamp copied from Bajaj bikes.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why? Is there is dearth of desi designers or are they super costly to house ?
Old 1st June 2009, 11:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun911 View Post
I think you have missed your attachment.

Sorry bro. Yes, I did miss my attachment. Decided not to add it later, as it wasn't a very good picture in any case. If I come across a good one, I'll post it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

Ironically, I think the 'Nano' looks like a scaled down version of the 'Estilo'

Anyone agree?

Haven't seen it in the flesh so not very sure, but that's what I've garnered from pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I thought the Pulsar looked ugly.
Kinda ugly but in a nice muscular way, atleast the first gen. It was a very nice-looking bike for it's time. The tank design etc. wasn't very ergonomic though. (a little difficult to tuck your knees in unless you're a midget) Guess that was because it's a scaled down version of the Hornet. Ofcourse the Hornet is properly designed and tested and is ergonomically very accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Why? Is there is dearth of desi designers or are they super costly to house ?

There are alot of good and creative designers. I think it's just that the manufacturers aren't too keen on them. They want to maximise profits and that's IT! They aren't too worried about how good their product is or on optimising what they have. Sad.

Have you for example seen the New bike from Royal Enfield? They've down-sized the tyres to 18" (don't aske me why, it ruins the classic look) What they haven't done though is down-size the mud-gueard/wheel arch. Now it looks even worse than it could have because it looks totally out od sync.

Royal Enfields sell mainly because of their classic looks, their feel and the thump. With the new bike, they've just trashed all three. It looks weird, I am pretty sure the handling is screwed because of the smaller tyres and to top it all off, they've plonked in this weird looking engine. <Sigh!> Why oh why?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2009 at 13:10. Reason: see note in post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks