Team-BHP - CBZ Xtreme's Piston into Pieces
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   CBZ Xtreme's Piston into Pieces (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/59421-cbz-xtremes-piston-into-pieces.html)

Two of my colleagues planned trip to Chennai last Saturday from Bangalore on his CBZ Xtreme and luckily two more colleagues who were suppose to go to Chennai via SETC bus planned to join them in their ZMA. They started from Bangalore at 5AM and it was just 15kms to Vellore suddenly there was a squealing noise produced from the bore and the Xtreme tuned OFF. They tried starting the bike immediately and kicker got jammed. I got a call reporting the problem. I suggested them to check the Engine oil, wait for 15-20 Min, release the kicker manually and use self start to start the bike. They found that the Oil was completely Dry and I asked them to find nearest Automobile store and fill in Castrol power1 20W-30, however still unfortunate the bike did not start. They towed the bike to a nearest Mechanic and he said that the engine is seized and this is what they saw when the bore was opened –
Piston was completely melt, broken in to pieces, complete engine seize, bent connecting Rod, They left the bike for service and collected on Monday while coming back to Bangalore
Parts Replaced were – Piston/Rings, Connecting Rod, packing kits …. Total cost involved – Rs 3500

Did they able to find what was the reason for the seized engine? I guess it is due to 'no engine oil' or 'less engine oil'. Must be the bike was maintained very badly.

how do u 4 st guys manage to run a bike without oil even by mistake ? dont they show tell tale signs like overheating , gears not shifting and dont ya'll have an oil level indicator window / warning light ?! 3500 is cheap ! that includes rebore , new piston rings pin , con rod , reset crank , bearings , oil seals , valves ( if damaged - most prob ) + labour ! goddamn are 4 st that cheap to fix ?!

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie (Post 1323006)
3500 is cheap !

Exactly my thoughts. I have seen cases where in the entire Yamaha engine block was a write off. Here the CBZ owner is plain darn lucky to get away with INR 3500.

I dont think the bike can be fixed for 3500 . The piston with rebore , connecting rods , bearings , can set you back by atleast 5000 . Make sure all the parts that were used are of quality . I hope you guys dont want to be stranded again .

I am trying to rebuild a HH cd100ss and it has cost me around 4000 . I am rebuilding it on my own without a mechanic .labour for the mech will be in the region of 1000 atleast . I expect the parts for the extreme to be much more costlier than the cd100 ss .

^^ same doubt here. A person I know got his TVS Victor engine done by a local garage and it costed him around Rs. 4500.00. Wonder why such a big difference.

With temperatures soaring nowadays, it is absolutely imperative to check the engine oil status in quick intervals- especially while doing a long ride of 350km during daytime.

The kicker getting stuck is a tell-tale sign of trouble, any further attempts of cranking the bike using self start etc. may have caused more damaged.

As others have said- 3500 is dirt cheap, I'm sure spurious parts are used and I hope they didn't leave the bike at the same place seen in the pics. Genuine parts alone would cost around 3500-5000 (depending on what all is damaged as elaborated by 2StrokeJunkie) the labour. Did they run in the bike on the way back? I would suggest have the engine re-opened and the stuff checked by some qualified guy. Spurious parts will ditch you when one least expects.

a question: what exactly is the purpose of this thread? to highlight the stupidity of your friends? its quite obvious is'nt it. no offense meant just cant figure out what i can learn from this.

Well the Bike owner said its almost 2000kms the engine was changed.
I wonder that the Bore had issues and started drinking oil and resulted in Oil Dry and Engine sieze, also negligence of the owner toooo.

I got a chance to look at the bike when they came to bangalore, engine noise and highrings noise from the bore.
He was not sure if the parts replaced were Genuine HH
More over the engine oil was very black when checked, bike had done just 200 Kms

I suggested him for a Re-bore or a new Bore kit if the Oil gets dry again

Quote:

Originally Posted by howler (Post 1323882)
a question: what exactly is the purpose of this thread? to highlight the stupidity of your friends? its quite obvious is'nt it. no offense meant just cant figure out what i can learn from this.

Its nothing to highlight stupidity of my Friend, mistakes are made well we are Humans not GODs ..
This thread was not to provide an specific information, Well just wanted to share an incident happened to my friend
Yes even he agrees that its was purely his mistake

My Previous Honda Unicorn Seized due to the same problem , and I rebored and sold the Bike for 30K , And what did it cost me to replace the piston+rings and do a rebore ? The cost including Oil was just 1400rs :D .

PS it seized cause i knew it would it has seized twice before i got it , i was just waiting for it to seize for good. Like the picture above when I opened up the engine what i found was many pieces of the Piston and the Rings.

Unicorn's Parts are Cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muneemmk (Post 1324447)
My Previous Honda Unicorn Seized due to the same problem , and I rebored and sold the Bike for 30K , And what did it cost me to replace the piston+rings and do a rebore ? The cost including Oil was just 1400rs :D .

PS it seized cause i knew it would it has seized twice before i got it , i was just waiting for it to seize for good. Like the picture above when I opened up the engine what i found was many pieces of the Piston and the Rings.

How old was your bike ? How many Kms did it do?

It was a 2004,electric start bike with 2 engine seizures,I was just the caretaker,my friend had bought it 2nd hand for 40K and his mechanic drained the oil for replacing and the mech's assistant promptly put the drain nut back on without refilling the engine with Oil :Shockked:.That is how it got Seized in the first.2nd time was because of low oil levels due to compression leak and oil consumption and the bike used to go around with a noise similar to a tractor.

It must have done above 60,000 KMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muneemmk (Post 1324447)

I wouldnt buy your statement . In all probability you must have rebored and replaced the piston only .

but , that will not suffice normally . You got to get the crank bearings , gaskets , seals replaced . Also a crankshaft reconditioning is advisable .

TO do a proper job , it will definitely set you back by 5000 .