Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 20:13   #16
TDC
BHPian

Hey Makanaka and Lohithrao, have you guys got front tyres for your enfields? If so, what did you guys get and how is it coming along?
Old 10th August 2009, 11:07   #17
Team-BHP Support

I would say ribbed, for your pleasure.

I don't like the buttons, always mess up the turns for me.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:50   #18
BHPian

Tried and tested on at least 1000 bikes on all terrains. go for Ceat Secura Sport in front.
Old 18th August 2009, 22:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Saw this thread at the right time, my bikes front tyre ( Dunlop) is almost given up..
Hows the tryre behaving now?
Is it available in Bangalore?

I still like the IRC for its grip. It did well in the rain too. I agree with TDC about the slow turn in. You could try the 90/90-19 up front instead of the 100/90-19. The seat secura sport mentioned below sounds like it's worth a dekho. Found out it's available in a 3.5inch x 19. Will wait for someone here to give their verdict first.
I have a huge problem with the mrf meteor. It's a bad tyre - no grip in wet or damp roads. Hit a bit of sand and it goes sliding too. Not sure which tyre to put on the rear, but the meteor sure isn't it.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:47   #20
BHPian

best tyre in front is Ceat Secura Sport 3.25 or 3.00/19"
Old 19th August 2009, 12:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

TDC, not yet. plan to do some more kms on Dunlop

My Machismo came with Secura and it had a very bad wobble/vibration issue, got it changed to ribs later. i heard many machismo had the same issue.. so am not very sure if i want to try it again.
Old 7th September 2009, 15:04   #22
BHPian

^ I think I have a vibration issue with the ribbed ones , but only on smooth tarmac
Old 18th December 2009, 02:00   #23
BHPian

Guys, I know the posts are old but I had to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I would say ribbed, for your pleasure.

I don't like the buttons, always mess up the turns for me.
How does the block tread Dunlop cause problems for you while cornering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
After a good amount of asking around and from personal experience, I've figured that Dunlop 3.25 x 19" are the best for the front in terms of grip. You could use 3.50 x 19" as well, depending on whether you want a fatter tyre or not.
How does the 3.25-19 block tread perform in front? I have one on the front rim of my '79 Standard but haven't tried to scrape the footpegs while cornering, yet. Looking at the design and especially the small contact patch when the bike is on the side stand, I doubt it'll have enough grip to hold the front while cornering hard.
Personally, I trust the Dunlop block tread on the rear wheel. My brother and I swear by it, be it 3.25 or 3.50 but have little experience with it in front. In the rear, it has enough grip even when bald to let me scrape the footpegs on the road! But, what about the front?
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:47   #24
BHPian

Tyres for Enfield Machismo 500LB

BHPians,

I need some advice on which Tyres to put on the RE 500LB.

I like the Meteor(rear), but someone has suggested that its not good on wet roads and is more of an off-roading Tyre.

I encounter wet roads more often than not on all my rides, but I do more of high speed highway riding if it goes by the ratio of clocking the kilometers

I have panniers on the bike and it is usually pretty packed when I go for rides. So I need something which gives a good road grip at high speeds and with plenty of weight.

What would you suggest for the front ? Standard one or a Pirelli P90 ?

Ride Safe
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:20   #25
BHPian

Re: Tyres for Enfield Machismo 500LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
BHPians,

I need some advice on which Tyres to put on the RE 500LB.

I like the Meteor(rear), but someone has suggested that its not good on wet roads and is more of an off-roading Tyre.

I encounter wet roads more often than not on all my rides, but I do more of high speed highway riding if it goes by the ratio of clocking the kilometers

I have panniers on the bike and it is usually pretty packed when I go for rides. So I need something which gives a good road grip at high speeds and with plenty of weight.

What would you suggest for the front ? Standard one or a Pirelli P90 ?

Ride Safe
You hardly have any choice in 19" and thats the primary reason why switched to 18" on LB. You can go for Ceat Vertigo Sports 100/90/18" very good tyre, nothing comes any close to Vertigo Sports. But you will have to compromise a bit on GC. I have used Vertigo sports and then switched to MRF Moto-D (excellent tyre) and I am really happy with it.
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
You hardly have any choice in 19" and thats the primary reason why switched to 18" on LB. You can go for Ceat Vertigo Sports 100/90/18" very good tyre, nothing comes any close to Vertigo Sports. But you will have to compromise a bit on GC. I have used Vertigo sports and then switched to MRF Moto-D (excellent tyre) and I am really happy with it.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. But I am a bit apprehensive about the 18 inch tyres. Like I said, I do a lot of long distance riding, with luggage and a pillion, so I guess GC would suffer more.
On the other hand, what are the advantage of the 18 incher ?
Is it good for Off roading ?
How is the grip on wet roads ?
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Pirelli MT60,is a nice tyre,i am using it on my CI 350 RE machismo.
If switching to 18",nothing beats Michelin Sirac.
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Pirelli MT60,is a nice tyre,i am using it on my CI 350 RE machismo.
If switching to 18",nothing beats Michelin Sirac.
Thanks Akshay...Is this for the rear or fronth tyre and Are these easily available in India ?
Old 4th October 2011, 05:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Karlitoz
If your bike has 19 inch rims and you do a lot of higher speed long distance riding you will probably be happier by sticking to that size.

Using 18" rims and tyres on your motorcycle will be rather like shifting the transmission down a gear unless you also change the output drive sprocket to a larger one with 1 more tooth.
Changing the sprocket will also require a new chain to go with it because the existing chain will be too short.

Also, you would need to check to see if a larger output drive sprocket will fit. There is a limit to the sizes that can be used.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 4th October 2011 at 05:27.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 11:47   #30
BHPian

Sorry to hack but me too in the same dilemma
I have a Sept. 09 TBTS, it has clocked around 19k kms, I have never been comfortable riding in the wet on those stock tyres.
I have two issues, firstly no option of tubeless tyres due to the spokes, If tubeless is the way then i have to downgrade to 18 inch mags and then put on the tyres, wheels cost around 7k (no idea about the cost of the tyres)
If I have to stick to spokes then which are the options in 19" tube tyres which look good and do the job on the RE approx pricing would help me plan the budget too.
suggestions please
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks