Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 13:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Tyres for Enfield Machismo 500LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Karlitoz
If your bike has 19 inch rims and you do a lot of higher speed long distance riding you will probably be happier by sticking to that size.

Using 18" rims and tyres on your motorcycle will be rather like shifting the transmission down a gear unless you also change the output drive sprocket to a larger one with 1 more tooth.
Changing the sprocket will also require a new chain to go with it because the existing chain will be too short.

Also, you would need to check to see if a larger output drive sprocket will fit. There is a limit to the sizes that can be used.
Thanks a AJ. I am not too convinced about putting the 18 inchers. Besides, it requires a lot of modifications also. I think I would go in for the Pirelli MT60. Any idea on the price of these tyres and the availability in Bangalore ?
Old 4th October 2011, 15:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
... I have a Sept. 09 TBTS, it has clocked around 19k kms, I have never been comfortable riding in the wet on those stock tyres...
What make, Mrf ya Dunlop?
Old 4th October 2011, 15:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Sorry to hack but me too in the same dilemma
I have a Sept. 09 TBTS, it has clocked around 19k kms, I have never been comfortable riding in the wet on those stock tyres.
I have two issues, firstly no option of tubeless tyres due to the spokes, If tubeless is the way then i have to downgrade to 18 inch mags and then put on the tyres, wheels cost around 7k (no idea about the cost of the tyres)
If I have to stick to spokes then which are the options in 19" tube tyres which look good and do the job on the RE approx pricing would help me plan the budget too.
suggestions please
Cheers!
If you want to stick to 19" tires, then the stock MRF is the only available abundant option although even that has become a rarity nowadays. Do not go for Dunlop tires, I have heard way too many issues with the dunlops off late like the tire developing a bend over a period of time and so forth.
If you want to downgrade your rim size to 18", then Michelin has a tire ( not sirac) which does some decent duty. I kinda dont remember the name right now.
This would require no modification to the swing arm as required by other 18" tires like sirac, or the pirellis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
Thanks a AJ. I am not too convinced about putting the 18 inchers. Besides, it requires a lot of modifications also. I think I would go in for the Pirelli MT60. Any idea on the price of these tyres and the availability in Bangalore ?
I indeed tried checking for the pirellis when I hunted for the shoe change for the second time for my LB 500, but was in vain. JC road is one of the options where you can try but beware of some counterfeit stuff which people openly sell.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
What make, Mrf ya Dunlop?
Dunlop Duro I guess
The rear tyre has sufficient tread
The front is with the straight lines and is skid happy
Old 4th October 2011, 16:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Pirelli MT60,is a nice tyre,i am using it on my CI 350 RE machismo.
If switching to 18",nothing beats Michelin Sirac.
Hey Akshay...finally managed to find a dealer in Bangalore with MT60. But there are two variants, 100 and 110. I guess 110 is broader. I am currently getiing 100 at Rs 3350. Is this the right one and a god price ?

Cheers
Old 4th October 2011, 16:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
Hey Akshay...finally managed to find a dealer in Bangalore with MT60. But there are two variants, 100 and 110. I guess 110 is broader. I am currently getiing 100 at Rs 3350. Is this the right one and a god price ?

Cheers
Since yours is a 500LB,go for the 110 section tyre.
also prices of tyres have increased a lot recently.
seems to be a fair price,though i got 100 section for around 2K 2 years ago.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 16:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Since yours is a 500LB,go for the 110 section tyre.
also prices of tyres have increased a lot recently.
seems to be a fair price,though i got 100 section for around 2K 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot Akshay. Will head out to the local automobile market with the info now. Really helpful.
Karlitoz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 09:23   #38
BHPian

Gote a quote for Pirelli 90 front tyre @ 2675/- from Premji tyres, Mumbai. Sadly they do not have the rear tyre in stock and no idea as to when the new stock would arrive.
other option is Dunlop, which I am not sure whether i would like to go in for..
time to scout the local market
Cheers!
Old 5th October 2011, 12:54   #39
BHPian

Has anyone tried the option of putting tuff-up tubes in their tyres, I guess Honda has this option and are 18", i do not see any problem of putting them on 19"
This might be a lifesaver for those moments when one is stuck with a flat tyre and no visible help for miles..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks