Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 16:10   #1
BHPian

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet

Hi Folks,

My hunting spree for a bullet is getting better. Today I came across this 1966 bullet which the owner was quoting for 35k. Need some of your expert advice whether to go for it. It was for the first time I sat on a bull, and it really felt majestic. I had a hard time starting it while siting on the bike, then the owner told that the 60's models are different and needs a heavy crank unlike the 80's. I had to get down and then try after which it started after a few kicks. Ya and while kicking, it did bounce back hard couple of times. I am attaching a few pics, some of which has an engine number embedded as "RE1468", the owner was telling that this is an original English bullet. The only problem he mentioned with it was the 'chamber' of the engine was changed to a 76' model after it got worn out. [not sure what that meant], else everything according to him seems to be in good condition. If some of you guys can please help me with an initial screening of the bike, I can then take it to a good mechanic for checkup, probably to Shankar anna as recommended by bblost.

Cheers
Premson.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_380.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_381.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_383.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_384.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_385.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_386.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_387.jpg  

Old 13th June 2009, 17:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I am no expert to comment on vintage\classic bikes,but this one does not look like one at all.
the twin leading brake drum is a product of 90's leaving apart the paint job.
what about the speedo? any pics?
and the carb,it looks like mikuni,again used on later models.
i can also spot changes around CB points area,i cant recall what,but will try to find out.
Old 13th June 2009, 18:11   #3
BHPian

Hi,

All body parts appear to be those of recent models. If you are buying thsi bike for it's 1966 value and restore it as a classic, then you have a big challenge ahead of you. Looks like even the rear swing arm is changed.

If you are buying the bike for RE value, IMHO you can get better bargains for 35K based on more recent models.

Cheers
Old 13th June 2009, 18:54   #4
BHPian

Stay away!Not worth the money! Go buy a new bullet! Off late they have improved a lot!
Old 13th June 2009, 23:01   #5
BHPian

Hey Guys firstly thanks for replying.
Shivshanker, you read my mind, I was exactly thinking on similar lines of restoring it to Classic. When you said challenges, is it the price or procuring the parts of Classic ? Any ball park figure how much it would cost ?
Akshay, sorry i totally forgot to take the speedo pic, but it looked regular RE (not BSA).
Gill, initially I had considered buying a new STD350, but then after reading a lot from you guys, I felt its better to go for seconds, restore it and add all the new accessories.

The owner did mention that he had changed most of exterior parts to some extent but the engine is original. I might have to take a call by next week, if this is really worth and start working on restoring it to classic.

My original plan when hunting for a bullet, was to procure a 80's Bull [i love the soft crank start of the bull] and give it a standard look with a Bullet badge over the tank, but since this 66 has come, my mind is leaning towards Classic !

Really confused whether its worth going for Classic restoration or keep things STD.

Thanks
Premson.
Old 13th June 2009, 23:45   #6
BHPian

It would have been a good price if the bike had at least a few original parts. I doubt even the engine is original. Did u cross-check the papers and the engine number? I think the numbers for the 1966 still started with "G". I would stay away from this bike unless I got it for lot lesser. It would take a lot of money to get it back to its stock condition, starting with the fenders, which are very very difficult to get. These came with the "box mudguards". Apart from those, u need the meters, switches, levers, fork, shox, levers, the list goes on and on and on. The heavy cranks were discontinued for a very short while (I guess the mid 90s) but then apart from the recent aluminum engines, every bullet had the heavy cranks. The heavy cranks are a pleasure to ride.

If you are looking at just picking up this bike and "customizing" to your likes to look like a standard bull, do go ahead with it and you can restore it later on. The value of these bikes wont go down. If you planning to restore it to its former glory, hope u have a good budget for it. The Smith's speedo alone will set you back anywhere between 5 to 10k and the brass tank emblems 3 to 7k.

Mechanically, you will not find any difference in the STD bulls from the later model ones.

Again, just cross check if the numbers match with those in the RC book.

All the best.
Old 14th June 2009, 07:28   #7
BHPian

Hi TuffRyder, I checked the Xerox copies of the papers and the engine number was there and the year make was indeed 1966, but I am really not sure what all changed since then. I can assign a budget of 1L for my dear lady or probably little more, but considering procurement being a challenge I might need to starting thinking about first making it look like STD and then later think about Classic [as u mentioned].

On similar sale, I also happen to talk to another guy near my house over phone [he is out of town for now], where he happened to have a 67 Bullet with Smith's speedo for sale, but for 69K, will feed in more once I see that bull.

Cheers.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:46   #8
BHPian

from what i can see of the bike, you are buying a 1966 document, not a bike. thats the most confused assembly of a bull i have seen.

see the attached pic for a better idea of a vintage bull. its a 1960 restored. and btw, dont miss the bull in the background!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-1960j.jpg  

Last edited by hollywoodhogan : 14th June 2009 at 22:47.
Old 15th June 2009, 00:00   #9
BHPian

Hey, thats a nice looking bull [both, foreground and background] . I have a doubt on the term 'restoration', please pardon my novice questions, but does it mean you are talking about restoration of the parts inside the engine or the exteriors, like speedo, carb, swingarm, electricals etc. What I am trying to understand is, of all the replies I received so far, most of them are not very inclined with the bike, probably with the expectation of seeing a vintage model right away, but since things are confusing with respect to the bike, I presume there is no point going with the deal unless it is sold really cheap and probably then restore it later with a vintage STD look ?

Thanks
Premson.
Old 15th June 2009, 01:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

there was a nearly-new bullet 500 for sale in the dc classifieds a few weeks back, why not check out that one and if its a good deal, pick it up and keep your hunt on for a old bullet slowly and steadily?
Old 15th June 2009, 08:22   #11
BHPian

Wow 500 for sale ! I think I have to start being a little more patient in my hunt. Will keep an eye on the classifieds.

Thanks !
Old 15th June 2009, 08:43   #12
BHPian

Hey aadix, I dug that classified out [24-may-2009] and called the guy, it appears its a Machismo 500 [AVL] :-( the guy is selling it for 95k. Probably a okie deal, but I am more inclined towards CI.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

stay away this is not an original in any case this does not even have a Original Engine crank case . i dont know why people start bulffing.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:55   #14
BHPian

1955 Bullet

Hey Guys,

Guess what I came across today, a 1955 Bullet. Oh boy, I instantly liked it when I saw the bull. I was able to start it just with the second kick. I took a small stroll down the galli and boy - what a sound, literally i could see everyone starring at me, Phew ! The owner was kind enough to allow me to take some pics, so that I could show it to you guys. Now comes the tough part for me, the price, he is quoting a whopping 1 lakh for it. He said there is a buyer ready for 85k, but I really want to check with you guys whether its really the right price ? I checked the papers, he is the second owner and the engine make is 1955, he's got green tax paid but needs to take insurance and pollution.

There are a few things I noticed with this bull [I have circled blue, in some of the pics]
- There is a huge dynamo kinda' thing over the engine, can some one please shed what its really for ?
- Also the owner mentioned there is a little oil leak coming from a nut of the engine
[which i blue'ed it in one of the pics], can this be fixed ?
- The engine number has G2<and_some_number>, so does this mean this is 'Made in England' stuff ?

Finally, he said something relieving, that he services his bike with Sudhakar anna [R P Road], who I was eventually planning to go with. All in all, I am very satisfied with the bike, but the price is the only factor I am not sure off.

Please let me know, what you think of this bike.

Thanks
Premson.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_400.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_402.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_404.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_407.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_410.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_411.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_412.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_414.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_416.jpg  

Need advice on buying a 1966 England Bullet-image_417.jpg  

Old 15th June 2009, 21:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now that is a real thing. it seems to be a Canadian Model.

Most Viewed