Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 16:37   #1
BHPian

Enfield Explorer - My first love story

Yes! I made up my mind and I will go for it.

Way back in 1986, my dad bought an Enfield Explorer. I was a 14 years old guy, studying in standard 7 and full of dreams. The morning dad brought her home – I saw her and instantly fall in love. I still remember, after coming from school, I used to spend hours seating on her dreaming only when I would be allowed to drive her. Realizing our strong bond, dad gave me permission to drive her and absolute ownership in 1989. It was a very big decision because we were from a very small conservative town and I was only in 10th class then. Dad attached only one condition before handing over the keys – “you have t score well in your exam ".

I kept my promise and did score well in the 10th class. But, things were written differently in my destiny. Due to the bike, I was very popular among folks. New friendships and rivalry – all kept growing. And then I tasted the first nectar of romance – all of them happened so fast. I was totally out of the world then. Whole day riding on the bike, crossing the street where my lady love used to stay many a times only to catch a glimpse of her – only in the name of going for tuition. As a result, my studies suffered a lot and scored poorly in the 12th class exam.

By then, I was classified as rotten, good for nothing boy by my neighbors, family and other so called well wishers. I remember how they used to complain regularly to my father regarding my “rush” driving – resulting in good thrashing from dad.

So I was soon bundled and sent to Calcutta for further studies. Once in Calcutta, I was free – but without any friend or family – resulting in my involvement in active student politics. But, I never forget my two loves I left behind at home.

That was the time when 100cc bikes were ruling the roads especially Yamaha RX100. I used to watch how my college pals used to drive their bikes – and fantasies. I didn’t get a chance to touch any because I was always considered a novice in this matter. I never felt bad rather my passion for bikes and cars grew day by day. With whatever money I could save from my tightest budget, I kept them aside only to spend on fuel and modification during my vacation days. On many occasions, I travelled all the way from Calcutta to Agartala by road, a four day journey by bus and rail – only to save a couple of hundred bucks.

Those days are so clear before my eyes even today. During vacations, I used to spend all day doing some sort of modification and cosmetic changes to my bike. And whenever we used to get chance, though rarely, I and my fiancé used to meet at some place outskirt the city and then go for a log rides.

Time went on; I got more and more involved with my professional world. And then marriage, job, more and more responsibilities, and career – got settled in Calcutta and then in Dubai. Even my parents got shifted permanently to Calcutta serving all ties with Agartala.

During last year Durga Puja, I visited Agartala on vacation. The moment I saw my first love lying unattended, neglected in one corner of our Agartala home, I felt an explainable pain in my throat. No one even bother to remove her dust cover – for once also. I made up my mind then and there, whatever may be the hurdle, I will not let her die such a neglected un-ceremonial death. So, even against much opposition of my family, who by now consider me an insane, I transported her to Calcutta few months back. I promise to myself, I will bring back all her lost glories.

I need your help guys, I need it to make my promise. I would be thankful for extending your helpful hands.

Please provide me the following informations
  1. Workshop manual
  2. Seat
  3. Handle
  4. Headlight
  5. Clutch and break
  6. Back mud guard
Note: I will be posting images shortly.....

Regards

Last edited by milindajp : 13th June 2009 at 16:45.
milindajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2009, 17:04   #2
BHPian

This is a very old image probably taken in 1992. Me and my elder brother riding the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Explorer - My first love story-explorer.jpg  

milindajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2009, 18:49   #3
BHPian

I cannot help you much save for this.
Just dropped in to say that your narration gave me goosebumps.
All the best for your restoration work!

Last edited by five46 : 13th June 2009 at 18:52.
Old 13th June 2009, 23:19   #4

Hi

Many thanks for your PM and also the link to this topic. I find your story very interesting indeed.

Sadly i do not have a workshop manual in either hard or soft copy, and all manuals and/or parts catalogues i am able to get are in German language, i am not sure if that would be helpful for you..? This is because i have worked more or less exclusively on the German Zundapp-branded bikes, of which the Enfield Fury, Explorer and Silver Star are twin brothers. Enfiled Explorer is known as "Zundapp CS 50" in Germany and is, bside the GTS 50, still the most common Zundapp moped in Germany (and it's smaller brother CS 25, a Mofa version with single seat, hand shift and pedals).

I could point you to pretty much all parts for the Explorer, however it will always be on the German E-Bay and you would need PayPal to get the parts. Also most Germans are somewhat reluctant to deal with people outside Germany for fear of fraud, i, being German myself, suffer from that as well because i live in Bangkok since 8 1/2 years.

However just because the CS 50/Explorer is such a common bike in Germany to date, it is very easy to get just about any part for it. However you need to be willing to pay the price asked.

Please list me all parts that you require and also how much you would be willing to pay, all i can do is try to find the parts for that price including the very expensive shipping from Germany.

I would offer closer assistance but due to my location in Bangkok i am unable to assist directly.

With kind regards......

your Thanh
Thanh-BKK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2009, 23:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
I cannot help you much save for this.
Just dropped in to say that your narration gave me goosebumps.
All the best for your restoration work!

Thanks buddy. I have already gone through the tread. Can you please tell me where I can get a workshop manual. A soft copy will also work.
Old 13th June 2009, 23:52   #6
BHPian

List out the parts that you need. You will still get a lot parts in India if you look out for it.
Old 14th June 2009, 10:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
List out the parts that you need. You will still get a lot parts in India if you look out for it.
I need the following items
  1. Packing Kit
  2. Oil seals
  3. set of all cables
  4. set of indicators
  5. Side panels
  6. Rear & front mudguard
  7. Handle bar
  8. Hand break & clutch lever
  9. Switch
  10. Headlight
  11. kicker shaft
  12. Backlight + backlight assembly
  13. Back guard
  14. Speedometer + Tachometer with assembly
For better explanation, I am attaching images for item no 12,13,14.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Explorer - My first love story-img_0525.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by milindajp : 14th June 2009 at 10:43.
milindajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2009, 20:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats one amazing Photo. i really love that BILBOARD sticker on the bike engine case.
Old 15th June 2009, 21:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Hey thats one amazing Photo. i really love that BILBOARD sticker on the bike engine case.
Thanks buddy. Those were the days of imagination...
Old 15th June 2009, 21:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
I need the following items
  1. Packing Kit
  2. Oil seals
  3. set of all cables
  4. set of indicators
  5. Side panels
  6. Rear & front mudguard
  7. Handle bar
  8. Hand break & clutch lever
  9. Switch
  10. Headlight
  11. kicker shaft
  12. Backlight + backlight assembly
  13. Back guard
  14. Speedometer + Tachometer with assembly
Hi,
Other then Speedo,tacho,head light,indicators,pannier pipes & rear tail light assy, all other parts can be sourced ( mind !! most parts like Mud gaurd,levers,handle bar may be used one,but in good condition).
If you are interested, let us try to get a Fully re-built engine GB assy,so that you can keep either one of them as spare( Donor)
Few months before a guy came up with kind of offer, but I was not interested.
ps: Sure "user Manual" of Explorer CS 50 will reach you before this month end.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Explorer - My first love story-01.jpg  

Enfield Explorer - My first love story-04.jpg  

Enfield Explorer - My first love story-02.jpg  

powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2009, 22:12   #11
BHPian

Explorer CS 50 / Indian

@ Thank-BKK :
I do remember,once you asked me to reveal the specifications of Enfeild Explorer CS 50 at some other thread ( think at "restoring a fury")
Just go through the scanned version of the spec sheet of the Explorer sold at Indian market.
ps: compare the facts & figures of the machine,with your Zundapp ks 50.& also with the one went on sale at your country(Germany)

pps: If you find it difficult to read the blurr spec sheet,plz feel free to pm me, so that I may post a freshly typed one (bit lazy !!)
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Explorer - My first love story-03.jpg  

powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2009, 13:29   #12
BHPian

Is there any shop in Karol Bag or Paharganj - Delhi where I can find some staff.
Old 16th June 2009, 22:58   #13
BHPian

Hey Milind:

I might be able to help you out with these if you find it.
1. Packing Kit ( I think I have one set)
2. Oil seals
3. Hand break & clutch lever (i might have a set, must check, dont know if it is silver plus or explorer)
4. Piston rings.
5. Wiring kit.
6. Kicker rubber.
7. Floats and jets.
8. Fuel tap.

PM me if you are interested, I might have a few other things lying around too.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
@ Thank-BKK :
I do remember,once you asked me to reveal the specifications of Enfeild Explorer CS 50 at some other thread ( think at "restoring a fury")
Just go through the scanned version of the spec sheet of the Explorer sold at Indian market.
ps: compare the facts & figures of the machine,with your Zundapp ks 50.& also with the one went on sale at your country(Germany)

pps: If you find it difficult to read the blurr spec sheet,plz feel free to pm me, so that I may post a freshly typed one (bit lazy !!)

Hi

Many thanks for that But it is indeed very difficult to read, specially the most important bits (horse power!)

I can quickly compare it to the German one, although not detailed as i don't have things like gear ratios etc....

The German Zundapp CS 50 had FOUR gears and a max. permitted top speed of 40 km/h, front sprocket 13, rear sprocket 43 (not permitted to change to a different one). Carburetor was Bing 17/15/xxx, output was 2.9 horse power.

The German Zundapp KS 50 (unrestricted!) had FIVE gears and no legal limit in top speed, typically they made between 95 to 110 km/h. Front sprocket 15, rear sprocket 36 (and it was legal to change them to whatever one liked). Carburetor Mikuni VM 20 or Bing 21/20/xxx (also legal to change to whatever one liked), output ex factory 6.25 horse power. These were, apart from max. 50cc displacement, completely unrestricted and all sorts of modifications were allowed.

This class of bike was replaced in 1980 by the 80cc, which did give more displacement (80cc) and power however were restricted to 80 km/h top speed. Zundapp K80 (same frame as CS25/CS50), KS 80 (virtually identical to KS 50 except engine), KS 80 Touring ("Chopper" version of KS 80), KS 80 Super and KS 80 Sport (the latter two virtually identical bike, only design difference i.e. the "Sport" has not the slightest bit of chrome on it. Most modern Zundapp design with rear mono suspension and 12V electrics, was originally to become a 125 but then outfitted with the 80cc engine).

Best regards.....

Thanh
Thanh-BKK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 00:32   #15
BHPian

Re: Enfield Explorer - My first love story

This is such a cool thread! I am happy you found the bike after years and took it back to Cal! So 10 years on, what’s the update, if OP is still around! Did you manage to get spares? What condition is the bike in now if you still have it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks