Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 11:25   #1
BHPian

RTR front end conversion into RX

Has anyone tried the front end disc conversion of RTR on Yamaha RX.

I have some doubts on this, if someone has done it kindly share the exprerience as to what all is required for conversion.

I have the front shock legs, disc setup.

Now will i need to change or convert the T stem of the RX into RTR.
Old 15th June 2009, 12:02   #2
BHPian

No you dont need to change the T-stem. Just the shocks. What hub are you using? Go for Fiero hub with an adaptor plate to mount the disc. Its a straight fit, wont be much of a problem..But you would not be able to use the stock mudgaurd as it is, would have to drill extra holes..
Old 15th June 2009, 12:09   #3
BHPian

OK i am not able to do the conversion inspite of using the max parts from the RTR and Fiero F2.

The shocks from Apache can mount on the RX but the issue comes when i have to insert the Caliper in the disc break.

The centering isnt happening and i am using the differncer of the Fiero F2. Rim is also of the F2.

The issues is with the clearences between the caliper and the shocker leg.

If i add more spacers then it become more wider at the bottom as compared to the top, which will result in not a good balanced setup.

So i believe i will have to change the T stem upper and lower to RTR for a proper finish and fit.

Kindly advise if i am missing anything here.
Old 15th June 2009, 12:23   #4
BHPian

why would you want to do it in the first place. the rx is way light as it is and thats too much stopping power for such a teeny bike. its performance is reigned in comfortably by its drum set up.
Old 15th June 2009, 12:45   #5
BHPian

Arey baba lets just forget why i would want to do it.
There must be reasons for doing it thats why i ventured into this project.

Since you spoke about performance, once the performance is increased you need more sharpness for stopping aswell na.
Old 15th June 2009, 13:42   #6
BHPian

Getting the wheel centered is a little difficult. You will have to grind the spacers to get it correct. You have to very precise when you do this. Attached are a couple of pics from my bike.
I made a custom spacer, you can get it done in any lathe. I did not change the t-stem, i am using the RX t-stem itself. Although you could change the t-stem also but i dont think its required.
Attached Thumbnails
RTR front end conversion into RX-rx_disc0001_1.jpg  

RTR front end conversion into RX-rx_disc0000_1.jpg  

Old 15th June 2009, 14:28   #7
BHPian

Thanks Shaz for the pics.

I have done exactly what you mentioned i.e grid the spacer, i did that but somehow i am not getting the exact centering.

Ok let me ask you, on one side you would have added the spacer whats on the other side to make the centering perfect. Are you using the meter worm of the Apache or something else.

Also which axle are you using to confirm the connection, is it the RX or the Apache's.

Cheers
Old 15th June 2009, 15:25   #8
BHPian

ok, now i remember .. I had problems fitting the fiero worm wheel. I removed the wormwheel casing and made a custom spacer in its place. I am using the RX axle..
Old 15th June 2009, 15:32   #9
BHPian

Hmm so i believe i will have to go ahead and work on the T Stem upper and lower, then fix it to the RX chasis by welding and then add the disc using the spacer and the meter worm of the Apache. Thats the only solution for having the best braking out of the setup.

Guide me if anything i am missing here.

BTW i am riding the bike currently with the spacer (grinded) and RX differncer with RX axle.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:15   #10
BHPian

well, changing t-stem upper and lower will defn work.. its up to you .. Its defn easier than running around cutting spacers but did you try with out the speedo assembly ? After removing the speedo assembly, it was straight forward for me..get the right measurement and cut the spacer.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:17   #11
BHPian

I can take a pic of the other side of the wheel and post it tomorrow to givean idea how i have done it.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:21   #12
BHPian

Well the things is while going ahead with the fitment it was realised i was not carrying the meterworm for the centering part.

So yes if this is what you have metioned as speedo assembly, i did tried and then only realised that customising the spacers will give me the setup, but then it wont be perfect in terms of usuage.

I am able to center the wheel to some extent and it can work for sure, but then i wanted things to be perfect while in operation with less of permutations and combinations .

Btw how is the breaking and stopping power with your setup. Are you happy with it.

Kewl Shazi it will be great if you can share the pics of the other side of the setup, will surely help.

Last edited by invincible7 : 15th June 2009 at 16:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks