Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 18:57   #46
BHPian

Here's the new contender to the ever lasting Std 350 thump War scene. Electra's & Avl's spared !! cudn't help no smiley. On a positive note, it being w/o disc brakes & Es might be very affordable. With regular handle & seats sales this may see good numbers. New wine...Old bottle..wah RE babu..!

Last edited by Rennjit : 13th January 2010 at 19:03. Reason: :-)
Old 13th January 2010, 19:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
the standard with the UCE is being show at the auto expo
it features a LHS gearshift ,RHS brake the seat of electra
probable launch feb 2010.
pics courtesy orkut -
This is plain sad. I wish RE would retire this bike, and maybe make another affordable low end version and call it something else. Heck, they could just sell the CL350 without ES, front disk brakes, gas shocks and call it the vanilla variant and sell it for 30k less.

I wouldn't drive a standard, and I don't think I can adjust to the RHS gear shift. But RE in launching this version of the std is being very short sighted. It's guaranteed to irk their long term fans, and it's frustrating to see them drag a legend of a bike on just for short term profits. Well, I don't own the company, all I can do is rant on a forum
Old 13th January 2010, 20:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
pics courtesy orkut -
If RE prices the Standard UCE for about 80k, I think it'll be a hit, it should have an electric start at that price though.
Old 13th January 2010, 21:11   #49
BHPian

All I got to say is "thank you for the music"

It is sad to see it go away...
Old 13th January 2010, 21:14   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
The "bajaj bashing" has a link to this topic Technocrat: the death of the Std 350 classic has a lot to do with flooding of the market with cheap and efficient "bikes" by manufacturers like Bajaj. Ofcousre Bajaj is not the only one, but they are certainly the one manufacturer which started the trend of flooding the market.

Bajaj etc have volumes which enable them to keep costs low and thus crowd out of the market a manufacturer like Royal Enfield which focuses on quality over quantity.

The death of the 350 line is a sign that Enfield is loosing out to these big guys making these small bikes. Sad but true.

I dont know man I was once in an all Bullet meet & some of the Bulleteers were teasing the Electra & TB owners that they ride RE bikes & not Bullets.

not the right kind of bulleteers i am sure! 'cos a real bulleteer does not differentiate between fellow bulleteers! :P

What were you doing in a bullet meet though? Planning on buying one? chalo der se aaye par durust aaye!
Buddy that is called competition. RE could have make changes or upgraded their products and cought on with the competition. Why blame it on Bajaj for RE's decision to pull something off its production line.

I love the BULLET, but my family hates it. My decision to go for a bullet was changed as a close friend had sold his 2 year old 6000 km run Std Bullet as it gave him approx 18-20 km/L and lots of engine troubles. I would say, in this age of competition, RE needs to upgrade their vehicles and make it VFM. Just my tought, open to criticisms, which I am sure would be plenty
Old 13th January 2010, 21:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
All I got to say is "thank you for the music"

It is sad to see it go away...
True. Love the bike. Have a '76 Bullet and will be restoring it to its former glory. But I really believe that RE should have taken this path some years back and it would have made a good fanbase by now. Still, better late than never. But certainly a step in the right direction!
Old 14th January 2010, 00:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, the UCE350/500 with all the reliability and performance is nice on the TBTS and on any other Royal Enfield Bullet for that matter. But, on the STD350, it just doesn't cut the ice. Whatever happened to thumping along nicely at a steady 40, as the long stroke CI pulses propel you forward, beat by beat? Imho, people should experience a ship shape STD350 once before talking about reliability and stuff. Yes, the STD350 was high maintenance bordering on the unreliable but nothing like a well tuned legend. C'mon it was a classic and with the UCE engine, it has just become another Royal Enfield, minus it's aura. Sadly, you and I cannot walk into a Royal Enfield showroom and walk out with a brand new "Classic" anymore. And this piques me no end. I would've loved to see the STD350 discontinued instead of motoring along with that UCE350 mill which just seem right. For starters, the UCE's cylinder looks a little too ungainly on the STD350. My heart screams sacrilege and I'd go with my heart on this one. Just can't see it go. :-(

Rant mode off.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th January 2010, 04:25   #53
BHPian

Well the new one's may be good. But they are just there because of what used to be there. I own an Electra 4S and my friend was so luck to buy a brand new 350 Standard last week. I dont believe in saying that other bikes are plastic and I am all metal and that stuff coz a normal modern 150cc can beat the crap out of a bullet 4s standard/electra. But again these bikes were so unique in their appearance, the way they move around well I dont really know what makes me ride them everyday and put a big smile on my face all the time, but I have to say that the 350 standard truly is a piece of motorcycling history. While some people just dont seem to understand what it is all about, well I dont blame them not all of us like everything. All of us have our own choices on what we want and what we dont.

For me I have grown up with a Standard 350 that my dad owned and it has become a part of my ear drums, so no matter what people say about the good old 350, to me it just makes perfect sense on 2 wheels no matter what.
Old 14th January 2010, 04:26   #54
BHPian

Happy are those who are still thumping with Points Ignition. We will never get to see anything like it anymore.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:22   #55
BHPian

STD350 with UCE.....sacrilege !!!. RE, please don't disgrace the true classic. Launch Eectra UCE, Machismo CE or whatever you wanna do, but doing it to 350 is juts killing your own legacy..
Old 14th January 2010, 16:28   #56
BHPian

Hey , Something that I wanted to know.
Has the STD 350 stopped being manufactured?

I have been calling a few showrooms in Bangalore and Mysore and all of them tell me that the STD 350 has been stopped in the month of December.

The website still shows the 350 as an option. Also I heard that the bike is going to be stopped in March '10

If there is anyone who knows of how to get hold of a new 350 STD through any of their contacts , it would be highly appreciated.
Old 14th January 2010, 16:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
Hey , Something that I wanted to know.
Has the STD 350 stopped being manufactured?

I have been calling a few showrooms in Bangalore and Mysore and all of them tell me that the STD 350 has been stopped in the month of December.

The website still shows the 350 as an option. Also I heard that the bike is going to be stopped in March '10

If there is anyone who knows of how to get hold of a new 350 STD through any of their contacts , it would be highly appreciated.
The STD350s production hasn't stopped in Karnataka but the supply has. You can buy one in Kerala still.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th January 2010, 17:01   #58
BHPian

Apologise for going OT here:
If I buy the Bull in Kerala , would I have the pay registration twice , once in Kerala and once in Karnataka.
Also would like to know if it is a lenghty process ?
Old 14th January 2010, 21:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_812 View Post
Apologise for going OT here:
If I buy the Bull in Kerala , would I have the pay registration twice , once in Kerala and once in Karnataka.
Also would like to know if it is a lenghty process ?
Buy the STD350 in Kerala. Register it there. Ride in Karnataka for a year with a NOC. Then re-register in Karnataka, replete with a new registration number and Karnataka road tax. Apply for refund of road tax from Kerala. This is a way to do it. Others Bhpians well versed in this subject may give you better suggestions.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 14th January 2010, 22:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
well, its not available for few weeks now. Had to struggle quite a bit to get mine in November.

But trust me guys, however common it is, the Maiden is a show stopper. Even with the stock exhaust pipe, the thump is awesome..
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by subushady View Post
I got my Std 350 on Dec 2,2009. Got the first service done and now the bike is quite smooth.
I feel lucky that I got my Std 350 before it got phased out.
It is indeed an awesome bike and my first bullet
Congratulations
Quote:
pics courtesy orkut -
Looks like RE is following bajaj’s footprints… putting on the same engine (350cc UCE twin spark) and introducing the model with different painting pattern like std 350 (UCE twinspark), electra (UCE twinspark), TBTS (already in market), classic 350 (already in market), machismo (UCE twinspark) is of no use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks