Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 14:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Modifying my Electra 5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Even you can consider 90/100 on Amby HL assy, there are guys who'd already done this mod just by rewinding the coil (AC lighting). Being with a round HL you can expect a good pencil beam on high beam which will give you more visibility and confidence.
Sajjt,I found that the bulb which is currently in my holder is of H4 type II.
I checked our beats bulb today.This will go in to the bike with a little mods.My doom have a 2 pin holder.Yesterday I found a 3 pin holder doom(minda) with one guy.I think I will also get that one.And I already have a clear lens doom.But the reflector has faded.
What if I fix philips extere power in to that(with a new doom)?

Last edited by white-rabbit : 30th September 2011 at 14:04.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
I think this can be done without any modification.2002 TB comes with a A350 engine or standard?I think it is having DC connection.Please check with few more guys,as I am not so sure about the wiring type.
Yes its an AVL engine. I don't what the connection is called (AC or DC) but what i know is my bike does not require bettery for ignition and lights. It is only required for the horns, rest everything is on ignition coil.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Yes its an AVL engine. I don't what the connection is called (AC or DC) but what i know is my bike does not require bettery for ignition and lights. It is only required for the horns, rest everything is on ignition coil.
Oh!I also had a Machismo A350 which worked as yours.I soon had to replace the engine itself,due to loat of troubles it was giving.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Oh!I also had a Machismo A350 which worked as yours.I soon had to replace the engine itself,due to loat of troubles it was giving.
Well i am not facing any issues with the engine, just completed 50k kms and the engine has not been touched from inside ever. Did you replace it with a CI engine? Was it a direct fit?
Old 30th September 2011, 14:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Well i am not facing any issues with the engine, just completed 50k kms and the engine has not been touched from inside ever. Did you replace it with a CI engine? Was it a direct fit?
Ok.That bike was bought as second hand.I used it hardly for some 4 months.I was getting starting trouble.After I went out of country,My uncle was using it.One day he told me over phone that the engine ceased and the mechanic asked to replace it with a standard engine.The next time I saw the bike it looked just like a standard 350(total restoration).After few months we sold that and I purchased an Electra.
BTW I am not sure about the headlight wiring.Let me check it out.
Old 30th September 2011, 16:18   #21
BHPian

Guys,My mods so far..

Mod 1. Rewiring of Horns

Issue: I was facing an issue like when I switch on the headlight, the horns will not work all the time. If i put the horn, headlight will dim. Horns will not work until I start my bull. I was struggling with this. One mechanic (authorizes service centered) he rewired the horn with one extra switch under seat to solve this issue. But even if the engine which is off, if we forget to turnoff the switch below the seat, the horns will work. I was dissatisfied with this approach, I reverted back to the original settings (which was done by a local mechanic in Kerala).He has used a 3 pin cut-out.
I purchased a 4pin sealed HELLA relay which could handle up to 40A, one 10A fusebox, some good quality wire and sleeves. Removed the existing horn wiring completely and connected new wires and sleeves in place. Pulled a new set of connection from the battery wire and introduced the fuse there. All this new set with fuse sits completely in the side box. I used the Hella rely to route the power to the horns. The existing wiring for the company horn was used for activating relay. All my issues solved.

Cost: fuse box+extra fuse 15 Rs
Relay: 80 Rs(Total 95/-)
Wire: I had it in my stock.
Effort : hardly 45 mints]

Result: Horn works without starting engine. Horn works without dimming the headlight. Ammeter shows comparatively less current draw. And happiness of successful DIY.

Mode 2.Single spring seat.

I purchased this single seat, after market one from Shivaji Nagar for 950/- yesterday. As I couldn’t wait till morning, I started fitting the seat in night after I reached home at 11:05 PM.I removed the stock seat and tried putting this in place. It was a shock to see that It is not a direct fit. The seat was little longer and will not fit in stocks seating bolts. But my spirit lead with lot of trial an error and finally I fixed it with help of some Self made brackets. I had these brackets in my basket, which I have been keeping from the time I can remember.
I think it’s time to talk little about my tool box. Story started like this. When I was in KG classes one day I remember,my uncle took all my damaged toys and put it in to a aluminum box (which was my carry box to school) and gave a new fabric bag for school. When days went, that aluminum box stood with me. Toys were replace with metals parts, spanners, nuts bolts etc and etc and I still have that box with all my tools in its .That box is more that 23 years old now.
Back to topic, It was 2:30 in the morning when I finished fitting seat.2 times my neighbor came out because of the hammering noise. Seeing me, he smiled and went. He didn’t even ask a question (I was expecting some shouting).And I also changed the DC Cable.

Cost: Spring seat-950/-
Brackets -2 (self made)
Effort : 3.5 Hrs(Making of bracket contributed to the delay)
Result: Killing looks. A confident ride and an angry WIFE.
The seat is little high, is what I feel when driven for the first time. Excellent jerk reduction when compared with stock seat. I need to try with some different spring to reduce the height mismatch. But I feel this mismatch is negligible

Mod 3: Upgrade tyres
Upgraded the front tyre to Ceat secura tourer, The button type
Cost : 2000/-
Result: We can make out the stronger grip easily even in the first ride. The handles has become little harder and have to tilt the bike a little to make turns(Which I hate to do with Bulls).But the road grip is just AWSOME.

Mod 4: Upgrading the headlight
Still sourcing materials
And more to come..
Sorry for the low quality pics,as it is uploaded from my cell.My broadband is yet to be fixed
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying my Electra 5S-b1.jpg  

Modifying my Electra 5S-b2.jpg  

Modifying my Electra 5S-b3.jpg  

Modifying my Electra 5S-b4.jpg  

Modifying my Electra 5S-b5.jpg  

Old 30th September 2011, 19:56   #22
BHPian

@ white-rabbit, why not headlamp of Uce m/cs - to me convex lens looks good over flat glass of amby. Next, lose the saree guard & long silencer, also change to some apt sized (not this truckie) rear brake light.

You might want to see if the front foot pegs are equally spaced out from bikes centre line
Old 1st October 2011, 00:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,My mods so far..

Mod 1. Rewiring of Horns

Issue: I was facing an issue like when I switch on the headlight, the horns will not work all the time. If i put the horn, headlight will dim. Horns will not work until I start my bull. I was struggling with this. One mechanic (authorizes service centered) he rewired the horn with one extra switch under seat to solve this issue. But even if the engine which is off, if we forget to turnoff the switch below the seat, the horns will work. I was dissatisfied with this approach, I reverted back to the original settings (which was done by a local mechanic in Kerala).He has used a 3 pin cut-out.
I purchased a 4pin sealed HELLA relay which could handle up to 40A, one 10A fusebox, some good quality wire and sleeves. Removed the existing horn wiring completely and connected new wires and sleeves in place. Pulled a new set of connection from the battery wire and introduced the fuse there. All this new set with fuse sits completely in the side box. I used the Hella rely to route the power to the horns. The existing wiring for the company horn was used for activating relay. All my issues solved.
Thats the right way to wire a device which will ensure that there's no active wires once the key is taken, else, anybody can honk the horn/light evenif the switch key is off. Stay out of these type of grease monkeys in future. I guess you are using Roots Vibrasonic which takes 3.5x2=7A which cant' be met by the stock puny wires hence the HL dims and horn cries out of breath. Before upgrading the HL to higher watts, I would suggest to go for a relay to drive the bulb with thicker gauge wires and use the stock wires to drive the relay. You can even use a SPDT relay and wire only the high beam wire to the relay power so that at closed condition (relay is not energised, the low beam contact will be activated by default, once the high beam wire is active, the contact will be shifted to the other pole where the high beam point is connected. I hope you got my idea.

BTW, now your ride is looking more mean and hot. I am sure that it will absorb the bumps more effectively, but usually I've seen this type of seats will tends to go side ways due to the spring's wear out. I guess, you need to adjust the seat to right slightly. I wish I could do this to my bike as my back is being more sensitive to these pot hole hammerings but unfortunately it will look awkward.

Last edited by sajjt : 1st October 2011 at 00:57.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
wish I could do this to my bike as my back is being more sensitive to these pot hole hammerings but unfortunately it will look awkward.
For sure,it will look awkward.Why dont you switch to Bullet?

I have upgraded the headlights.I will post the details soon.Also removed the saree guard etc.Still need to find a better tail lamp.

Any good Idea for a luggage carrier for Bullet?A saddle bag needs a rear seat.But I dont want to put one.I am looking for some DIY.Any ideas? My current plan is to make it from some iron pipes etc.Still looking for some good ideas..
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
For sure,it will look awkward.Why dont you switch to Bullet?

I have upgraded the headlights.I will post the details soon.Also removed the saree guard etc.Still need to find a better tail lamp.

Any good Idea for a luggage carrier for Bullet?A saddle bag needs a rear seat.But I dont want to put one.I am looking for some DIY.Any ideas? My current plan is to make it from some iron pipes etc.Still looking for some good ideas..
My brother had one Taurus and a Classic. But somehow am not a bull fan and never been love with to any of its features except the thumping beat But I still love to watch bulls which are decently modified.

You can search the bull threads for a lead here.

And here's some food for thoughts:

All xBhp Royal Enfield Owners - Your Bikes Pics are wanted !!! - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

[Ownership Thread]: Royal Enfield Classic 500 - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

[Ownership Thread]: Royal Enfield - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 08:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have upgraded the headlights.I will post the details soon...
Hello White rabbit,

Can you pls share your headlight upgrade? . I am also thinking to upgrade it on my 2006 Electra 5s. I am looking to put a 55/60 H4 in place of current 35/35w bulbs. Eas wondering if changing to current gen Electra sealed beam and rings is a direct fit or not on 5s?

Tia,
-BJ

Most Viewed