Team-BHP - Time to change my bike tires?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Time to change my bike tires? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/61774-time-change-my-bike-tires.html)

Hi,

I own a Yamaha Libero G5 since 3 and half years. The bike has clocked 36K kms till now and going really well.

Some observations related to the tires:

- When it rains very hard and roads are totally wet, the rear tire skids sometimes when cornering above 40 kmph.
- Air pressure in rear tire goes away much sooner than compared to front tire.
- No issues with braking till now.

Is it the time to change the tires? What is the typical age of a tire for a 110cc bike?

You haven't mentioned the tyre brand. And how much is the tread depth?

Quote:

- When it rains very hard and roads are totally wet, the rear tire skids sometimes when cornering above 40 kmph.
Has this been happening very recently or has it been the same throught?

3.5 years is not a lot for a tyre. If you still have decent tread on it, you probably don't need to consider a change.

How long a tyre lasts very much depends on what kind of usage you put it to. So there can be no fixed figure in terms of km. As for age, you should usually change it after around 6 years, even if there is tread, as rubber deteriorates with time.

As for the faster air loss issue, you may have a very small punture or a leaky valve. If you can't figure out, you change just the tube.

Thanks for the response. My replies in bold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1386323)
You haven't mentioned the tyre brand. And how much is the tread depth?

I will check and get back to you, thanks.

Has this been happening very recently or has it been the same throught?

It's been happening since some months (may be 3-4) now, if I remember correctly.

3.5 years is not a lot for a tyre. If you still have decent tread on it, you probably don't need to consider a change.

How long a tyre lasts very much depends on what kind of usage you put it to. So there can be no fixed figure in terms of km. As for age, you should usually change it after around 6 years, even if there is tread, as rubber deteriorates with time.

My current usage is around 45kms per day. I drive on the faster side (of course under the restrictions that my Yamaha has).

As for the faster air loss issue, you may have a very small punture or a leaky valve. If you can't figure out, you change just the tube.

I will get the tube checked by the mechanic.

^^^ Whether you need to change your tyre will depend on how much tread depth is left. Tread depth is very important in the monsoons. In the dry seasons, it does not matter much. Also if your tyre contact patch has a convex shape, the tread may not matter much even in monsoons.

Mechanic? You would need to go to a tyre shop. Check the valve with soapy water first. Or you could just change it. They are cheap. Just make sure its brand new and has not been kept on dusty surfaces. Don't expect the tyre guy to be bothered about all that...

If changing tube you could consider Honda/Hero Honda Tuff Up tube if can get the right size. The OEM Tuff up tube in my bike retains air for very long.