Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2005, 21:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
It was built to better the RX100, which I think it did in terms of power and handling.
The diff was that the KB 100 had a chassis used by its original 125 cc brother (or sister, for those who are for equality of the sexes) whereas the RX100 had a 100 cc chassis.

KB is a bummer on maintenance, though. Lots of things come loose every now and then. The RX was definitely a better built bike.
Old 22nd June 2005, 22:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
KB is a bummer on maintenance, though. Lots of things come loose every now and then. The RX was definitely a better built bike.
The RX engine was so good that it never changed for like 15 years, all the way from 1985....and then only reason it had to change was because of emissions.

The KB went through so many avtars KB-100, RTZ, RTZ delta, super-tuned.....never could quite get it right.

Worst thing bout the KB was that it sounded like an autorickshaw. Ergos, clocks and the chassis was topnotch. RX electrics were horrible (6V) and the the stock Srichakras were nasty (I still have the scar from my crash).

Aah....... brings back memories of the early 90s and my beloved silver RX....KA-01 J7903. Shogun did beat it fair and square but I had already adopted Yamaha as my religion. Good Thread.

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd June 2005 at 22:44.
Old 22nd June 2005, 23:02   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Definitely the RX100 - I had one and it was just too special.

I remember back then, we had only one competitor - The shoguns on the road. Half the street races I saw then were between Shoguns and RX100's.

GTO
Old 22nd June 2005, 23:17   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I remember back then, we had only one competitor - The shoguns on the road. Half the street races I saw then were between Shoguns and RX100's.
GTO
Now taken over by the Pulsar 150 Vs CBZ and P180 Vs Karizma races..!
I prefer the CBZ, Karizma and Unicorn for the sheer ride comfort they offer over the Bajaj twins..
Old 23rd June 2005, 09:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

@RX135: ithink type-o-negative has ansewered the 4 speed question. Yes the yamahas were shorter & hence they were good handlers because of their short wheelbase which makes them more 'Flickable' i was talking about stability & not flickability

Ride a KB at 100kph & an RX too & you will know the difference :-)

& yes it was RX100 & not Rx135 thanks for correcting me T-O-N :-) fading memories as i knever owned them so dont ask me which KB was it :P it was in 1999.

Another great thing about the initial batch of the RTZ was that they had some metal lining on their pistons due to which these bikes needed no running in, start ripping from the first day. I know this because it was quite a news those days(infact it would be even now if sucha bike comes) & one of my friend bought it because he felt too lazy to runing the RX :P

btw if i had an option i would have opted for the RX :-)

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd June 2005 at 09:49.
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:19   #51
BANNED

This thread has gone way beyond its original scope (thanks to me!).

The KBs had a brilliant chassis setup - as Steeroid pointed out, this came from the original KH / KE 125 series of Kawasaki motorcycles, long wheelbase and were heavy bikes. As Techno has pointed out, KBs were extremely stable and not as flickable as the RXs.

Yes, KBs were heavy on maintenance, a speciality being the speedometer cable, which used to snap for no reason at all. The gearbox wasn't all that great and most importantly, the engine had to be kept above 5000 rpm at least (in the KB100) to do any kind of storming.

In any kind of street races, the KB100 was no match for the RX100 or the Shogun. But talk about anything above 70-80 kmph and the handling advantage came through.

Now for some timelines: (those who remember better please correct me)
Yamaha launched the RXG in mid-1996 and Bajaj launched the KB125 almost immediately. The RXG failed to make a mark - it has been written that the RXG had 2 competitors to beat - the original RX100 and the newly launched KB125. Shoguns were out of production in this period.

In 1997, Yamaha released the RX135 which restored some of the RX100's glory. The (in)famous TV ad was in 1997 and this was the KB125 pitted against a Yamaha 135 (whether it was the RXG or the RX135 is not clearly known). In early 1997, TVS relaunched the Shogun with a catcon but only in the metros since unleaded wasn't easily available everywhere.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of the RX series but only upto 70 or so.

Rice_tuner: as somebody has pointed out, heart appeal - Shogun, head appeal - RX100. The RX100 is almost maintenance free, which cannot be said about the Shogun. I'd suggest you take the RTZ out of your equation since it is extremely difficult to find a well-maintained RTZ today (I'm not selling mine ;-))

hrag
hrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:54   #52
BANNED

Rice_tuner: forgot to add, if you do ultimately buy an RX100, make sure you spend money converting that lantern in front to a proper headlamp (sorry RX guys, couldn't resist this one but also wanted to make sure someone who's 19 and on a limited budget spends on a good headlamp rather than something like a aftermarket exhaust)

Finally, all these are powerful machines which can catch you out at times, so please also get a good helmet and ride safely at all times.

hrag
hrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:29   #53
BHPian

@hrag... yea, difinately...am lookin to get a powerful head lamp...but do these bikes support halogen or other powerful bulbs?
n yea...i prefer the exhaust note of the stock RX to the "suer shrill" after market exhaust anyday...
gnna be gettin a bike in bout a weeks time...

cheers
p.s : got myself an helmet already
Old 23rd June 2005, 11:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_tuner
...but do these bikes support halogen or other powerful bulbs?
Not sure what kind of powerful headlamp you can get with those 6V electricals. Ask around with other RX members to see if any one of them has tried an electrical upgrade, either to 12 v or a more powerful battery with new rectifiers...
Old 23rd June 2005, 12:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

One primary upgrade from RX100 to RXG/RX135 was 12V electricals/battery. hrag is absolutely true about it. You will probably need rectifier which should cost somewhere between 600-800 Rs. One important check before you buy any 2-stroke bike. Make sure that the owner has used the bike properly and never ceased the engine (mostly due to running out of engine oil). A re-bored engine with new piston would most likely not be the same as original. A visual check would be to check the bolts on the cylinder head.
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:07   #56
BHPian

For all the Yamaha ppl here... today my friend told me he knows of an "RXZ" for sale...

i aint too familer with this model...so can u ppl help me out with this?
wats the diff between the rx-100 n the RXZ
n which one wud be a better buy?
by the way, the price quoted for a 97(i think) rxz was 11k... is that allrite?
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Its a tough choice to make between these to bikes, shogun may have more power than RX100, but still I prefer RX.

Last edited by sridhar24 : 23rd June 2005 at 15:25.
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

I rode .. no .. scorched around .. on a catcon shogun for 5 yrs (98 to 2003) and then had to give up on it due to medical problems. It was a tearful goodbye. No one .. repeat no one on two wheels ever got ahead of me when I was on song, during those 5 years .. (thankfully never came across a RD ) .. touched 115 max on the speedo .. had really wrung the accl .. the engine scream was exhilarating and scary at the same time ..

maintenance - used to give it for regular servicing at the showroom every 2 months .. then the dealer closed shop .. indentified a good local mechanic and maintained the same freq of servicing .. hence never had to spend too much on regular maintenance as I took care of every squeak at the first occurrence ..

it's a fantastic bike to live with .. gives you the goosebumps everytime you watch the tacho revv away .. without fail .. at 19yrs .. these things matter !

Go for the shogun .. look after it .. maintain it properly .. keep it in good shape .. and rip it always .. that's how it's meant to be riden ..

PS: As @hrag says, do wear a helmet (i was never without one), do not break traffic rules and know your limits ..

Enjoy ...
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:46   #59
Senior - BHPian

oh i forgot ..
just to give you an idea ..
I sold my beloved shogun for 18K in Aug 2003 to a bike rally enthusiast
(had bought it in Feb 1998 for 43K)
Old 23rd June 2005, 15:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the engine scream was exhilarating and scary at the same time
Scary, huh? It's not for weak hearted mortals j/k.

@rice_tuner, RXZ is the one with fairing. Same as RX135 with cosmetic changes and better instrument console (comes with a Tacho, other RX won't). But, I am not sure, if you would like it's styling. Most prefer RX100/135 styling. RXZ has 132cc engine against 100cc of RX100, power output: 12 bhp against 11 bhp. RXZ has 12v battery. Check exhaust notes of both. They are similar yet different.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks