Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2005, 16:30   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Boy, this thread is walking down the RX / Shogun / KB memory lane.

I remember drooling over the Shoguns rpm meter and wishing that Yam gave it as standard.

GTO
Old 23rd June 2005, 16:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Boy, this thread is walking down the RX / Shogun / KB memory lane.

I remember drooling over the Shoguns rpm meter and wishing that Yam gave it as standard.

GTO
Ditto here! I remember drooling over the KB's comprehensive instrument console, the 'dog-leg' levers, the 'Power Box' and slick mirrors when compared to the RX100s, Ind-Suzukis (AX100, none of the other models had come out then) and the YUKKY hero honda cd100s......

THose were the times when we were SO deprived that EVERY little improvement used to excite us. The Kinetic Honda at that time looked like it had landed from another planet...RX100s were worshipped and their riders were considered a privileged lot.

Does anyone remember the Enfield Fury? We burned quite a few RX egos with my friend's Fury...and it wouldnt make a fraction of the noise that the RX did. Silent killer and he had his in BLACK. Those Disc brakes used to make every RX owner go green with envy, too.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd June 2005 at 16:46.
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:44   #63
BANNED

That would have been the V1.2 of the Shogun! The very first lot of Shoguns had the same instrument cluster as the AX100 series. Based on feedback received, TVS then redesigned the instrument console and introduced an 'electronic' tachometer (the KBs had mechanical tachos).

Even today, I am amazed by the KBs instrumentation levels. What it doesn't have are: side stand indicator & flash switch. Imagine, it had everything else nearly 20 years ago.

Steeroid: Fury - what a machine! You're spot on with us being deprived then. I still remember the very first AX100's indicators being talked about. Heck, in those days, a bike being available in a new colour was news.

hrag
hrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2005, 19:14   #64
BHPian

Whoa...after readin these "senti" posts... i guess kids my age take a LOT for granted eh? (on the automobile front)...newayz, felt good to see sum strong emotions comin outta u guys for the bikes u swore by...cant wait to get myself a bike now...(still clueless on which one tho!)
Old 23rd June 2005, 19:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Imagine, it had everything else nearly 20 years ago.

Jeez, that makes me feel pretty ancient... time to get the dust off my RD and burn the roads once again with my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Tuner
...cant wait to get myself a bike now...(still clueless on which one tho!)
The funny part is, you guys are spoilt for choice but still have very little choice. Your primary criteria is KMPL, whereas ours was KMPH.

Do yourself a favour a buy a two stroke before they become museum pieces.

PS: On second thoughts its our generation that fed the likes of Hero Honda and forced TVS and Yamaha to quit making great 2 strokes and move on to the 'Executive Commuter' bikes of today.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd June 2005 at 19:26.
Old 23rd June 2005, 19:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

I envy you people who had chance to rip those wonderful 2-strokes. My uncle who was a guardian for me during my B.E. allowed me to buy only a Hero Honda CD100 SS. I gave it hell of a time. Engine ceased twice in 3 years. Only then did i change my driving habits and gave it the respect it deserved to. After that I used it for another 3 years with no problem before i sold it off.

I had some precious experiance with the CBZ
Old 23rd June 2005, 19:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Does anyone remember the Enfield Fury? We burned quite a few RX egos with my friend's Fury...and it wouldnt make a fraction of the noise that the RX did. Silent killer and he had his in BLACK. Those Disc brakes used to make every RX owner go green with envy, too.
Whoa never thought some one would mention the fury

Slight correction though it was Zundapp Fury It had the most modern equipment, the tacho, disk brakes(yeah CBZ wasn't the 1st one to sport them) & alloy wheels :-)

Sadly it wasnt sold much

Here's a pic of a Zundapp KS350
Liquid cooled 42bhp 350cc engine

I think this was the one luanched here but not sure tho.

Old 23rd June 2005, 20:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Whoa never thought some one would mention the fury

Slight correction though it was Zundapp Fury It had the most modern equipment, the tacho, disk brakes(yeah CBZ wasn't the 1st one to sport them) & alloy wheels :-)

Sadly it wasnt sold much

Here's a pic of a Zundapp KS350
Liquid cooled 42bhp 350cc engine

I think this was the one luanched here but not sure tho.

DAMN!! they actually sold a 42!!?!!bhp bike here in india?!?
man...17 bhp on bikes is worshipped as of today...
Old 23rd June 2005, 20:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sadly it wasnt sold much

4 Zundapp models were bought by Enfield when Zundapp folded. They bought the rights to sell, tooling, blah blah blah...

Of these only 3 were launched here -

1. The 70cc Silver Plus Mokick (it was a moped without pedals, but with a kick start) - it was the second two wheeler in India with mag wheels, the first being the incredibly smooth Peuguot Sportif.

2. The 70cc Explorer Bike which had a lot of show, mag wheels (first BIKE in India with Mag wheels) and all but sadly no go at all.

3. The 175cc Fury with tacho, disc brakes, 15bhp and all...this wasnt the 350cc version sold in Europe.

They were all sold as ENFIELDs and not Zundapps.

There were two more variants in the line up at 250cc and 350cc (because the Silver Plus and the Explorer were essentially the same vehicle with diff. body styles) , but they never saw the light of the day in India. I think they were to be called the Endeavour and Ecstacy or something like that.

I'm sure Enfield still have the dies, designs and tooling to make these bikes. If only they had the ***** too...

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd June 2005 at 20:05.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2005, 20:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Yeah it was 175 & not 350, thanks for reminding(had this pic so posted as the 175 looked similar ).
But the initial lot was surely sold under the Zundapp brand which was later branded as Enfield.
Old 23rd June 2005, 20:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah it was 175 & not 350, thanks for reminding(had this pic so posted as the 175 looked similar ).
But the initial lot was surely sold under the Zundapp brand which was later branded as Enfield.
I think you're mistaken - they were NEVER sold under the Zundapp brand. The first lot had 'Zundapp' on the crankcase covers, but the branding was definitely Enfield.

There were okay bikes, but then mileage of 30-odd or less was frowned upon then. The Fury also had a problem with flooding, allegedly because of the angle at which the carb was connected to the cylinder. We gained fairly decent calf muscles from kick starting them - if I'm not mistaken Enfield also offered a model with self-start, very helpfully.
Old 23rd June 2005, 20:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

hmm now that you say will check out again as even i remember Zundapp written on engine case only.

Thanks for update
Old 23rd June 2005, 21:10   #73
Team-BHP Support

God Almighty! From Shogun Vs. RX100, we've gone to RTZs, RX135s, RD350s, CBZs, CD100s, Karizmas, Pulsars, Enfields,... wonder how the 5 speed Shaolin didn't make the grade!
Honestly, if you are considering a used performance 2 stroke bike, head straight for a Yamaha RX100. It's not tough to come by a well used example. The Shogun was faster, but, it's brakes were pretty bad. Also, finding a good used Shogun is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Old 23rd June 2005, 21:15   #74
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Have owned an RXZ and a Shogun at some point of time. HAd the RXZ for around a year. It was fun to ride. Didnt give me any problems at all. Sold it and got the Shogun and had it for almost 2 months. In those 2 months i enjoyed the Shogun much more than the RXZ

Anyways coming back to the topic, if u lookin out for a performance 2-st bike, here are some more options (including the ones listed) :

* Yamaha RX100
* Yamaha RXZ (the old one . not the 5-sp 135 cc)
* Kawasaki Bajaj RTZ
* Suzuki Shogun (The 16 bhp with alloys was launched in Bangalore or Chennai, not sure. )
* Yamaha RX125 (Yes, thats not typo error. 125cc and it also had a 5-sp gearbox. This too was made for a limited period. Stopped prodn bcos of pollution norms)

Also the Fury was sold as the Enfield and not the Zundapp. And it was a 175cc solid disc-braked one. Heres a pic of one I took :

Old 23rd June 2005, 22:58   #75
BHPian

@V12... yea thx for the "option list" will try n test ride all of those (almost) before gettin myself the "perfect" 2 st
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks