Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:57   #1

Jumpstarting a bike?

heres a question i need some advice on guys...
i have a Enfield Bullet with a dead battery, and a maruti alto. is it possible to jumpstart the Bullet with jump leads using the car battery without damaging the bike electricals?
option 2: can i jump start the bike with a friends bike ?
If any anyone has done this before please advice.
thanks.
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Given a friend reasonbly strong enough, is it not possible to push start a bullet?
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

As long as the bullet has a 12V battery (I'm not sure) , it should be fine to use your car battery to jump start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Given a friend reasonbly strong enough, is it not possible to push start a bullet?
Isn't that called bump starting?

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd July 2009 at 18:19.
Old 22nd July 2009, 18:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Isn't that called bump starting?
hehe. no idea. "push start" just happens to well describe the actions involved. I dont know BulletSpeak for it
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedflame View Post
Enfield Bullet with a dead battery, and a maruti alto. is it possible to jumpstart the Bullet with jump leads using the car battery without damaging the bike electricals?
Is battery required to get a Bullet started up ?
My RX and Old Splendor I had used to run fine without battery.

Does the bullet have electric start ?

Car battery is 12V, but which is having a higher amp.
In theory it should't be a problem, but I'd not try it.

Push start is not an option ?

Again, in that case too with dead battery it will not work ?
I'm not sure if a "live" battery is required for a Bullet to start.

A carb car will start without a battery, only exception if the car has a electronic fuel pump. In that case the car will start with a battery in place (even if there is not enough juice in the battery for a self-start) and will not start without a batter or a battery with 0 charge.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:14   #6
BHPian

I own Thunderbird (no self start) which works fine even without battery or with dead battery. But I guess Bullet doesn't start without that. ( this one was one of the major reason not to go for Bullet).

Anyways now I found Bullet can also be started without battery or with dead battery. Refer following link there it's explained in detail.

The Bullet: Mystries & Myths - Improve Your Bullet

I hope this will help.
Old 22nd July 2009, 20:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

For the bullet standard you have to have a charged battery for starting it cause the spark is generated by the battery,
for a electra you have to have the battery intact it does not matter if it is charged or not its just that it has to be completing the circuit.
---------
No you cannot push start the Standar cause it would still need the battery to be charged, though in some times yes it does start but thats a rare one.
---------
yes you certainly can use the Car battery to Jump start the bike but make sure that you donot shot the who thing connect it the connectors correctly and then start it, after the bike starts take off the jump cables after 5 minutes and take the bike for a ride of around 7-10 Km it will charge the battery enough for the time being, as a pricaution and a good measure take off the tail light bulb so that there is no battery being used for any other things apart from the ignition.
---------
DONT . PLEASE DONT use the horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
I own Thunderbird (no self start) which works fine even without battery or with dead battery. But I guess Bullet doesn't start without that. ( this one was one of the major reason not to go for Bullet).

Anyways now I found Bullet can also be started without battery or with dead battery. Refer following link there it's explained in detail.

The Bullet: Mystries & Myths - Improve Your Bullet

I hope this will help.
teh link there does not apply to the new bullets they do not have the same mechanism of the electricals.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd July 2009 at 20:19. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nakedflame,

As others have said - the simplest option by far is to push start the bike! Any reason for you not wanting to try that?

cya
R
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

I've done this on my bike. Although its a 650cc bike, it uses a regular battery.
The day i got my bike, the battery went dead. I called the previous owner and he came by to jump start the bike. Exact same process, and it worked!
I would think its safe to jump start your bike. If the battery is completely dead, then you'd have to get a new one anyway. It won't affect the electricals, IMO.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:19   #10
BHPian

My cousin has a Thunderbird (September 2006), and he barely uses it. So I have to take it for a ride sometimes to make sure that it remains working, but still its quite often that his battery goes dead, so I connect it to my pulsar and start it. Simply use two wires and connect with battery of any other bike or car. (Make sure you connect the correct terminals).

Instead of going for a ride and risking getting stuck, just let the bike idle and increase the RPMs a bit. In 10 minutes you would be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks