Team-BHP - Bike not getting unlocked
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Bike not getting unlocked (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/62263-bike-not-getting-unlocked.html)

Dear All,

Since it poured quite heavily all this week and some days in the last week, I had not used my bike. We have a open parking in our building and my bike was exposed to rainfall. Now the problem that I am facing is it is not getting unlocked because of some reasons. What should i do to unlock it? When I insert the key, it does not turn in full to unlock it. I don't want to break it.

Would any oil help?

WD40 (or oil) might help. Did you try it?

Dip the metallic part of the key in engine oil or even coconut oil and then try. The idea is the oil must trickle down inside. Hope it works. Don't struggle too much with the key, if it doesn't work.

Quote:

WD40 (or oil) might help. Did you try it?
Not yet. Was running late so took the car out.

Quote:

Dip the metallic part of the key in engine oil or even coconut oil and then try. The idea is the oil must trickle down inside. Hope it works. Don't struggle too much with the key, if it doesn't work.
Will try this in the evening. However, have told my brother to put some oil in the lock for the time being.

Once when I was stuck with the same issue.
I removed the dip stick and put a few drops of engine oil into the lock.
Worked like a charm.

Of course I was in the middle of nowhere. :D

Use WD40, leave it for sometime and then insert the key and try. Dont use too much force!

Regular oil also works, but may take some time. Good idea to blow the switch dry if you access to a blower vacuum cleaner before doing this.

One silly question. Whats WD40 and where do I procure it from?

edit: Got it!

Official Site For WD-40, the Versatile Product With Over 2000 Uses!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1399493)
One silly question. Whats WD40 and where do I procure it from?

edit: Got it!

Official Site For WD-40, the Versatile Product With Over 2000 Uses!

Check this WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you will get it in any hardware shop .....

Pick one packaged by a reputed brand, Gulf is one of them.

WD-40 is made in India by Hawco aka Hardcastle & Waud Mfg. Co. Ltd. A 63.8g can costs approx. Rs.88/- ;)

Sealants and Maintenance Division - HAWCO

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1399009)
When I insert the key, it does not turn in full to unlock it.
Would any oil help?

Might sound silly, but sometimes we tend to overlook it. If the handle is fully turned to a side it jams the lock shaft so that it can't move and key will appear stuck. The situation will be aggravated if the bike is on a side stand on soft ground. Hope you are not in a similar situation?

Suggest following. Spray WD40/oil, as others have already suggested, on the lock. Put the bike on center stand and gently rock the handle to either side. Handle will have some play/movement if the bike is lifted on the center stand, front wheel off the ground. This will free up the lock shaft which protrudes into the rake/caster.

Which bike do you ride? My explanation holds for most of the "Made in India" bikes that I have seen.

-BJ

Interesting thought. My bike is indeed on a side stand. A HH Hunk. will put in on a main stand and try to do the technique u suggested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtak (Post 1399009)
...it is not getting unlocked because of some reasons. What should i do to unlock it? When I insert the key, it does not turn in full to unlock it. I don't want to break it.

Stupid question, but you sure that it is your bike & the right key you using :D

Did it unlock finally ??

Clean the keyhole with petrol. Pour some drops of petrol into the keyhole also.

How old is the bike ?