Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2019, 23:23   #16
BANNED

Re: Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I wanted to know if bullet 350 twin spark coils are true parallel circuits (1IC , 2SP's).
The same individual mentioned opting for Thunderbird Twinspark's Ignition Coil as the thing powers two SP's, though I didn't share the info as I was uncertain about whether its based on a CDI or TCI.

While asking around I was told that there's a CD200 running on a custom CDI setup, will share more info once we're able to get in touch with the actual owner of the motorcycle.

Fingers Crossed!
Old 13th March 2019, 15:59   #17
BHPian

As I wait , with fingers crossed, I read this article about single to twin conversion.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.in/201...m-old.html?m=1

One point mentioned in the article , written by someone with good tech knowledge no doubt , was about air fuel mixture resistance. It may be that its a case of weak spark.One peculiar thing about the problem is that the misfiring cylinder is not always the same one. I don't know if it would need extensive modification of my existing wiring.

What is your suggestion Mr. Ashwin?.
Old 13th March 2019, 22:42   #18
BANNED

Quote:
As I wait , with fingers crossed, I read this article about single to twin conversion.
While we do wait for an update from those who've got a working setup I've got another suggestion.

The CT100B runs a static map, nothing complicated, no TPS, nothing.

Why not go for a CT100B's CDI with two of its ignition coils wired in series as mentioned in the post you've shared.

You'll get two firing plugs without any RPM requirements, in effect a wasted spark system.

BTW, quick question, since I've not worked on twin's my understanding as of now is that there are two pickup points on the magneto, which signals the the CDI to fire on every BTDC.

Is my assumption right?

Because if otherwise I can only presume that the stock CDI is designed to fire in intervals and swapping that with a CDI of a regular single would just result in only one cylinder firing.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
While we do wait for an update from those who've got a working setup I've got another suggestion.

The CT100B runs a static map, nothing complicated, no TPS, nothing.

Why not go for a CT100B's CDI with two of its ignition coils wired in series as mentioned in the post you've shared.

You'll get two firing plugs without any RPM requirements, in effect a wasted spark system.

BTW, quick question, since I've not worked on twin's my understanding as of now is that there are two pickup points on the magneto, which signals the the CDI to fire on every BTDC.

Is my assumption right?

Because if otherwise I can only presume that the stock CDI is designed to fire in intervals and swapping that with a CDI of a regular single would just result in only one cylinder firing.

Cheers,
A.P.

My understanding is that there is a single trigger coil that triggers a single output CDI which in turn fires through a ignition coil that has two SP leads. I will send you some photos over the weekend so that you can see. I will also check for the CT100B system.

This problem has been frustrating me so long that I am even thinking of going back to points. At least you can see where exactly in the stroke the trigger happens. I am also thinking of getting a bigger capacity battery and a heavy twin output ignition coil although I don't know where to find one.

Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 09:42   #20
BANNED

Quote:
My understanding is that there is a single trigger coil that triggers a single output CDI which in turn fires through a ignition coil that has two SP leads. I will send you some photos over the weekend so that you can see.
While asking about on international forums got this reply;

Quote:
It is going to depend on your trigger which coil you use. If cam driven you will need two pickups and two coils, if crank driven a single pickup and a coil with dual outputs would suffice. Coil primary resistance must be matched to the ignition system. I think only the ‘78 cd185 had cam driven ignition, ‘79 and later was crank driven.
Since yours is a '79 the pickup is from the crank.

Quote:
I will also check for the CT100B system.
A point to note is that the the motorcycles spark current is generated from a primary ignition/source coil on the stator and not the battery.

So how you've set up your current stator would determine whether you can go for the setup or not.

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-ctstator.jpg

The above is a picture of the CT100's stator.

Quote:
This problem has been frustrating me so long that I am even thinking of going back to points. At least you can see where exactly in the stroke the trigger happens. I am also thinking of getting a bigger capacity battery and a heavy twin output ignition coil although I don't know where to find one.
Electronic Ignition Conversion Kits are available for Vintage Honda's on international websites, though I doubt the pricing would be ideal.
Old 16th March 2019, 13:20   #21
BHPian

They say that it is bad luck to lift the veil off a bride before the wedding but i will make an exception this time. After all with the present problems, there may be no wedding.

Here are some photos of the bike and the electrical parts.

The coil ( NS200 or P220), CDI and rotor winding with what appears to be a pick up coil. I will dismantle the rotor cover to get a clearer view of the coils. The battery is a 4AH one while the manual recommends a 9A battery. It must be noted that the starter is not wired at all. The bike is kick only type. The CDI seems to be a standard one used in 100 cc bikes. The markings are undecipherable

The original coil seems to be bigger than the present one and that's why i thought the present one is not able to run a spark through the gap. I have changed a blown plug with a new one and both the plugs spark outside the cylinder now , although i don't know for how long. would a iridium plug help?

Hope the details are sufficient for trouble shooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-20190316_095553-2.jpg  

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-20190316_095607.jpg  

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-20190316_115859.jpg  

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-20190316_095950.jpg  

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-20190316_095906.jpg  

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-20190316_095911.jpg  

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-20190316_095626.jpg  

srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 01:29   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Here are some photos of the bike and the electrical parts.
1. The IC You have is of the 200NS its the secondary IC which fires two plugs simultaneously.

2. This is what a CDI(Light Pink Box) of a 100cc motorcycle looks like which has spark powered by the source coil;

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-ct100-cdi-rr.jpg

In the above picture you can also see the RR unit.

And just for reference here's also a picture of the IC on a machine as such;

Looking for a 12v Twin output ignition coil-ct100-ic.jpg

3. Since your stator/ generator is designed with a source coil and pickup coil in place, I'd suggest you go with the setup of something similar with the only difference being that there would be 2 IC's wired in series.

P.S. I do understand that the information is inadequate, but I'll try my best to get info that will have your machine running.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 17th March 2019 at 01:36.
Old 25th March 2019, 10:39   #23
BHPian

Some update from my side. Yesterday, I changed the ignition coil from the NS200 to a RE classic 500's twin spark ignition coil. I also changed the two plugs ( the 6th or 7th time I don't remember). After rewiring, the bike started good , firing on both cylinders during idling and while throttling on stand. I did not venture to take it out for a ride. I left the bike for some 2-3 hrs feeling good.

When I started it again after some time, it did give me the impression that it was kind of mis firing and starting to die out even in idling.

I checked the old ignition coil (NS200) and I got around 1.5ohms in primary and between 6.5 to 7.5 K ohms in the secondary depending on the lead. So I am guessing that it's not a problem with the coil but more so with either the cdi or the pick up coil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks