Team-BHP - Std 350? Hmmm Electra 5s? Or Mach 350?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Std 350? Hmmm Electra 5s? Or Mach 350? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/63094-std-350-hmmm-electra-5s-mach-350-a-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MumBiker (Post 1420633)
So i guess i pretty well know my stuff ;)

You did get my point then :)

Anyways, for folks like Mr Merchant above who are looking for a commuter - read reliable and economical, a Bullet should not really be an option to pick from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1420771)
You did get my point then :)

Anyways, for folks like Mr Merchant above who are looking for a commuter - read reliable and economical, a Bullet should not really be an option to pick from.

Thanks mate :)

Sometimes we all need to be corrected. In our love for the old age iron we might end up providing the wrong advice, probably the very mention of them sends a surge of adrenaline.

I think you are right in saying that Mr. Merchant is probably looking at a civic commuter product.Driving a heavy bike is not an option in a heavy traffic congested situation unless you pump iron regularly ;)

Thanks for correcting the situation, Spitfire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 1420262)
You will still spend Rs 50 per day + the cost of the bike thats 80k+. Simple calculation.

Money saved per day - 100, for a 82K Bullet, you need to ride it for 820 days to break even. Thats 2+ years. Makes sense? Forget the maintenance cost.

Get a commuter instead.

You want a bike because you want to ride and live with - get a Bullet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team (Post 1420345)
I think what Spitfire says makes eminent sense. If fuel economy and commuting was the main reason for you to buy a bike go for a light, reliable Japanese bike, especially in the mad traffic of Pune.
If you want character in your rides then go for Bullet. No matter which Bullet you buy, never expect 100 per cent dependability at all times, like you expect in a Hero Honda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 1420666)
It is strange that yo have chosen Bull to be your steed when your purpose is to save fuel expenses.

Well, I had mentioned in my first post that my long lost liking for Bullet started haunting me again.
If I wanted just a commuter, whats wrong with my Bajaj Scooter? I just got i serviced after it was unused for 3 years and it still gives me 35-40/litre and you bet, its more dependable than any of those bikes out there. After 3 years, I put in some petrol, bent to 45 degrees, two kicks and it started roaring again.
That still saves me a lot of money as compared to my GTX, isnt it. And the average of the bullet will be on similar lines. Around 35.

My logic is simple. If I am buying a two wheeler, then why not a Bullet.
Agreed its not reliable, but thats ok. I have two alternatives in case the Bullet doesnt start one fine day. My car and Scooter. Plus, two of Pune's most trusted Bullet Mechanics are at a walking distance from my residence.

Now to the point. I heard someone say the Machismo 500 give 35/litre?
Is this figure consistent? Do all the Mach 500 give the same mileage? I can wait a couple of months to strech my budget to 1.20L. Not an issue.
25/litre would be painfull.

Note: All those 30 Kms/day are 90% highway.

As long as you are following your heart with your head fully informed, buy the Bullet 500 AVL by all means. I get 33-35 on mine like clockwork. And on the highway, a 350 CI runs out of breath at speeds that a 500 will cruise at. If you already have a good mechanic at hand, you are in good shape. Check the RE fora for confirmation about the FE, and your mechanics will also have a good idea.
Here's a thing to know though - be prepared for days when the Bullet will break down 15kms into your ride to work.
PS: the 500/350 AVLs are at a dead end in term of their life, it is true. So too I believe is the CI engine, that is not exported anymore. But parts for that one will be available forever into the future. I personally do not like the look of the T Bird, but the UCE engine is one that will stay. Perhaps you should check the launch date of the 500 Classic with the UCE - but my guess is that one will sell close to Rs 1.5 lakhs.
On the other hand, there are just a few parts that are not common to the AVL bikes and the rest, and this may really not be an issue in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MumBiker (Post 1420874)
Thanks mate :)

Nice meeting you on here, we should meet up someday. On a Bullet may be. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinit.merchant (Post 1420878)

So you are aware of what you are getting into. Good enough. Its not mostly true with the new age Bullet buyers. I have seen many of them being frustated because of their choice of wheels and the Bullet isnt to be blamed for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 1420894)
As long as you are following your heart with your head fully informed, buy the Bullet 500 AVL by all means.

+1. The RE 350's are trying to be commuters anyways.

I agree with what sawyer says, if you are well informed and don't mind being the occasional grease monkey when your bull gets a mood swing, go ahead and get yourself a Bull.

The Reliable Mechanic that you refer to can also put you across with owners of Mach V and 350's to get a fair idea + he could also guide you with the kmpl figures, since he will be the one maintaining your steed.

My guess is the C5 will launch somewhere in Feb/March,2010. I personally bought a 2nd hand one to keep me going till then, as i would not like to loose a lot of money moving on to the newer C5 ;)

Why would you want to move to the new 500?! Personally, the look of the independent gearbox is unique. The UCE doesn't look anywhere as good as the AVL, which itself is not as good looking as the CI. And reliability on the current 500 is pretty good already other than electricals. And knowing RE, I won't be surprised if this continues in the future. The US dealers rewire the bikes in most places before they sell them. The current electricals make full use of the property of electricity to still flow no matter how horribly convoluted its path has to be.

Quote:

Well, I had mentioned in my first post that my long lost liking for Bullet started haunting me again.
If I wanted just a commuter, whats wrong with my Bajaj Scooter? I just got i serviced after it was unused for 3 years and it still gives me 35-40/litre and you bet, its more dependable than any of those bikes out there. After 3 years, I put in some petrol, bent to 45 degrees, two kicks and it started roaring again.
That still saves me a lot of money as compared to my GTX, isnt it. And the average of the bullet will be on similar lines. Around 35.

Agreed its not reliable, but thats ok. I have two alternatives in case the Bullet doesnt start one fine day. My car and Scooter. Plus, two of Pune's most trusted Bullet Mechanics are at a walking distance from my residence.

Now to the point. I heard someone say the Machismo 500 give 35/litre?
Is this figure consistent? Do all the Mach 500 give the same mileage? I can wait a couple of months to strech my budget to 1.20L. Not an issue.
25/litre would be painfull.

Vinit,

Let's be clear with one thing. In rush hour traffic, the AVL500 will struggle. It has a heavy clutch and the gear ratios are more suited to cruising/touring than commuting in traffic. Add a 185KG kerb weight, you have the perfect recipe for a urban workout every day. About the mileage, some LB500s give 30-35, if ridden with a very light right hand. Most deliver 25-30Ks to the liter. I used to get upto 44KMPL during my run-in days when I used to do a steady 60-70. It is pretty tough to do that nowadays though.:)

If you want a commuter among bulls, go for the STD350. Why? You can thump at 40-50 in 4th gear without lugging the engine : perfect for congested city conditions. I certainly agree that it does have quality issues. But, with regular maintenance and some regular checks, you can get by with very few niggles that could leave you stranded. The biggest thing that has the STD350 going for you is the fact that it is a classic and it is about to be discontinued soon. So, the last of the STD350s will always have a certain appeal about them, or atleast I think they will.

Go for the STD350, but remember, you are riding a motorcycle designed in the 50s.

Cheers,

Jay

Reading the last thread reminds me - my 500 is unmodded, bog standard in every way. Havent put in any fancy bits like performance filters or open pipes. And maybe that is why I get the FE I do even now. 33-35. You play around with the bike, it probably hits the FE too. And yes, the 350 is lighter on the controls and rides easier in traffic. But on an open road, it runs out of breath a lot quicker than the 500. Besides, the 500 has some heavier duty parts on it, down to the final drive chain. But the CI has its own unique character. Enjoy picking the one!
PS: or do what I did, buy both. After a year of fun and games I put up both for sale, and have kept the one that did not sell first!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPrashanth (Post 1421004)
Let's be clear with one thing. In rush hour traffic, the AVL500 will struggle.

Quote:

AVL 500 would be suitable no?

Spitfire,

Thanks for pointing it out.I read it as city.

Meanwhile, Vinit, if you are riding on the highway on the LB500, you'll be hard pressed to do less than 90-100 I guess. So economy: 25-30.

Cheers,

Jay

I would like to add my 2 cents to the disscusion, you have got some wonderful and really strategic advised from the fellow T-Bhpians here. I really listen to advise coming from JayP. He knows what he is talking about.
Now, life with RE, my dear friend is a love affair, always and throught tried and tested. Know that it will have highs and lows. Now the ans. to the question: which RE? is quite simple one, really!, all you need to do is try and TD 1. Std 2. Electra 3. AVL-350cc 4. TB 5. AVL-500cc. And listen to your heart, thats it!
All of these are worth their salts!
Only and Only thing I would add is if you are bend to buy 350 STD, and ready for the tested part, then buy a 2nd hand. With the mods you can make on it you would love it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPrashanth (Post 1421004)
Go for the STD350, but remember, you are riding a motorcycle designed in the 50s.

If 350, then why not the Mach 350 ?

You get AVL Engine, 5 speed GB, Fr. Disc, Gas Shocks and Electric Start.

MumBiker,

What is the Mach 350s USP? It is clearly a neither here nor there motorcycle. Too much clatter but doesn't go as fast at the 500. Costs just 10 odd thousands lesser than the 500. So, you might as well buy a 500 than a 350.

Cheers,

Jay

[quote=vinit.merchant;1419918]Hi All,
Now I am confused with the Std 350, Electra 5s and the Machismo 350
quote]
Electra 5S - You will enjoy riding it for years. Will have few niggling issues but a great bike to drive. Max 100km/hr and 30-35kmpl. AVL is a noisy engine and spares are expensive compared to 5S. My 2 cents.