Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 23:06   #151
BHPian

Got my bike serviced today, lets see what happens, lets see the changes
Old 16th February 2010, 21:04   #152
BHPian

Got a can of matte black paint, will soon paint the white parts
Attached Thumbnails
Pulsar 220 (new) or the Apache RTR 180 - EDIT - Bought Pulsar 220 M-dsc_0694.jpg  

Old 7th March 2010, 04:51   #153
BHPian

WoW, i cant believe its been over a month, i have covered around 1400 kms, will post a complete review of the bike then. Still havnt painted the silver parts, will do it today.
Now here a interesting thing i found.

Antilock Braking System (ABS) for Indian Motorcycles
Jul 08, 2009 in Bike Technology

The German firm of Robert Bosch GmbH had been developing anti-lock braking technology since the 1930s, but the first production cars using Bosch’s electronic system became available in 1978. The early era did not have the kind of a technology and sophistication that we have right now. But for its time, the system was superior. But if we were to compare the earlier systems with today’s ones it would seem a bit OLD SCHOOL.

ABS in India

Right now, in Indian motorcycles we still don’t have the system. But in cars, yes we have it, but, at a cost, As we now know, ABS stands for Antilock Braking System. This is a device which avoids locking of wheels equipped with hydraulic brakes.

When Bajaj introduced disc brake system, they had a lot of troubles with the design which I guess was due to lack of knowledge. But Royal Enfield was the first to introduce disc brakes in India. They introduced this system in vehicle called Fury. Fury was launched by Royal Enfield Motors. The original company who made this awesome motorcycle was Zundapp. When they launched this powerful moto in India, it came with disc system. The disc system was from BREMBO Germany. One of the biggest companies specializing in disc brakes.

Fury had a very good and bad reputation in India. It was very good in speed but very bad in braking due to its Disc Brake system. At the, time the disc brake system was very much unknown to all our Indian friends. So it was much harder to use. People whoever bought FURY had many accidents due to the brakes. Why did this happen? Well the answer is simple: misunderstanding the brakes. Using the front or rear brake depends on the vehicle speed. It has to be in some ratio which we learn by our experience and judgement. Due to wrong usage, Fury owners had problems. But after this long span of time, this system began to be introduced on Indian motorcycles but without an ABS.

Types of ABS

ABS comes with two different types. One is mechanical and another is ECU based. If I am not mistaken, the first motorcycle with an ECU controlled ABS in India and for Indian roads is CBR1000 by Honda.

The mechanical system works on pressure but continuously varies it according to the pressure applied by the rider on the brake lever. An ECU controlled ABS works in a smarter way because it is based on sensors and a processor which work together to vary braking force based on numerous information for the bikes systems such as throttle position, vehicle speed, angle of lean etc. It is bit complicated to understand.

Installing Mechanical ABS For Your Bike

But let’s talk about mechanical ABS. Its a good news to all moto lovers in India that an Indian based company actually manufactures Mechanical ABS systems themselves.

The system was introduced by company called EATA Plast Fabrics. And they currently manufacture Mechanical ABS for Indian motorcycles. When I saw the article related to ABS in “Bike India” magazine I was very curious to understand it. But since no one has ever got an ABS system in India which can be fitted to any of our Indian made motorcycles. I bought the system online and tested it on a ThunderBird Twin Spark and a Bajaj Avenger.

The result was amazing. I could instantly feel the change between both the brakes, I meant, without and with ABS. The bike can stop without skidding under hard braking. The system works 2-3 times per second. When rider presses the brake lever it applies variable pressure to the brake pads hence making sure that the brakes maintain maximum pressure while keeping wheel lock aside on any surface.

But it depends on vehicle speed. If the speed or load of the motorcycle is high then the system works faster. That means the system is activated 2-3 times every second the brakes are applied. This system is relies on some mechanical spares. The unit is quite small and can fit onto any motorcycle without any alterations or changes. You can roll back to original if you don’t want it.

The only catch is that Bajaj vehicles need different spares for ABS, but for other motorcycles all the spares are same. Bajaj has got a different threading style. So EATA Plast Fabrics provides spares for that too. You can order ABS online through Saferide ABS or can order from me also.

The price tag is very reasonable which is M.R.P.1250/- without shipment charges. The price tag on site is included courier charges. Rest of the information you can get is from their website. This system is not suitable for foreign motorcycles. Get it as fast as possible and fix it from your skilled and professional mechanic.

Friends, remember one thing this system is not an entertainment plug in. It is A Guaranteed Hardcore Safety Device, In effect, you can brake on any surface, be it water, mud or gravel, with full force at any speed without having the fear of locking the wheels and crashing.

Here is the original link - Antilock Braking System (ABS) for Indian Motorcycles
and here is the companies site - Saferide ABS
Its located right here in bombay, in Mulund W, i was planing to get it for my front and rear brakes, what do you guys think??
Old 7th March 2010, 07:31   #154
BHPian

A true ABS has an electronic system which releases the brakes whenever the wheels skid and re-applies them an instant later. It can do the brake+release routine 20+ times a second. This prevents you from having a straight-forward braking skid ever (you can still have a sliding skid on a curve), and is said to reduce serious accidents rates by upto 40%.

I installed the Saferide ABS on the front disc brake of mt Royal Enfield TBTS. It is not a true ABS, as it just moderates the disc brake by using some simple hydraulic principle. It therefore makes the brake be applied more gradually--- over a greater range of the brake lever movement. It helps if your disc brake is "grabby", i.e., if it switches to high-braking levels with just a small movement of the brake lever.

Saferide does not prevent the brakes from locking ( i.e, the wheels from skidding), it just reduces the chance that you would lock the brakes by applying them too hard (which happens quite often in an emergency). So you can skid and crash (as I have!) even if you install saferide ABS.

So my advice would be: (1) get saferide if your disc brakes are grabby
(2) but do not depend on them to save you: practice emergency braking regularly.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 7th March 2010 at 07:39.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:50   #155
BHPian

My disc are not grabby, but just a few days ago, i had to press the brakes extremely hard while i was turning, and there was no space to straight out the bike, so the front tyre skid immediately. Now from what i could see in the video also, the system is mechanical, and thus will release the brake when it is programed to. But in a case of emergency braking, what most do is that, they depress the clutch and apply full brakes, thus locking them.
I plan to use this for a small time period, till i get habituated to a proper emergency braking procedure. These will stay on for that time period only.
Rollin' Thunda, im sure that this system must be having some plus sides?
Old 7th March 2010, 14:13   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Rollin' Thunda, im sure that this system must be having some plus sides?
Yes, it has! I did not mean my review to be totally negative. My TBTS brakes are grabby, and Saferide helps in moderating them. I just wanted to point out the limitations of Saferide: It will not release brakes (unlike a true ABS) during a skid, it just helps in preventing a skid during hard braking by moderating the pressure being applied.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 7th March 2010 at 14:15.
Old 6th May 2010, 04:01   #157
BHPian

3840 km Update :-
Had my second problem with the bike fixed, the first which was not my fault.
Last night i noticed a warning light binking, i had been riping the bike, which wasnt something unusual, actually it was slower than my real rips, but i thought maybe the engine was overheating, came back home opened the manual and saw that it was the Air Filter Element Choked light. I knew that it was the my filter was blocked, today i had taken the bike to the service center, the guy just came out opened the filter and cleaned the sponge and oiled the chain. That is it, then the light didnt come on. But i did do some mischief while he had opened the filter and taken the sponge for cleaning, i started the bike to hear the Roar, and WoW was it a roar, really nice, now i am seriously waiting for cash.

Now Updates since my last post

Fully synthetic oil at 2k kms
Castrol Edge 5W40

Iridium Spark plugs

Sadly a new Front Tyre :(

Painted the Foot Pegs and also a small part of the silencer/exhaust

Touched 145 kmph

Finally learnt 1st gear wheelies

Some pics are also attached below, showing the Painted parts, you will need to compare to see the difference, cant post the Wheeling pics as i have only 1 set without my helmet.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Picture of you riding without a helmet has been removed. Please do not post content which displays irresponsible and careless driving/riding behavior. We urge you to practice safe riding/driving habits in the interest of your personal safety and safety of others on a public road.
Attached Thumbnails
Pulsar 220 (new) or the Apache RTR 180 - EDIT - Bought Pulsar 220 M-20741_107497535933199_100000188581660_190838_7309977_n.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th September 2010 at 11:46.
Old 6th May 2010, 13:48   #158
BHPian

Can anyone tell me if i can get these kind of rims?
I dont want them to just look good, i want light weight and strong also.
Attached Thumbnails
Pulsar 220 (new) or the Apache RTR 180 - EDIT - Bought Pulsar 220 M-rc8_90__.jpg  

Old 10th May 2010, 23:37   #159
BHPian

Here is a sneak preview of what is to come, it will be installed soon.
Also i am still searching for the Rims, does no one have any idea?

Old 27th May 2010, 01:25   #160
BHPian

Completed 5k kms just today, the Odo reads 5001 kms now, yahooooooooooooooo. I have already serviced the bike at 46xx kms.
Have started a job and major mods to come soon, very soon, have started the job for mod reasons, by end of june or start of july all my mods will be done with.

Free Flow Exhaust - Made by Joel Joseph, hope he has time to do it

Air Filter - Lets see which brand

Jets

Sprockets - 2 in number, one 2 teeth bigger for city riding and one 2 teeth smaller for highway tours.

Xenon - for both with a twin beam mod

Will also be doing more and more small things as time continues.

Now a review

Its been real nice, never failed me even once, really capable for anything i dish out, may it be hard ripping for hours and hours together or going off'road' if you may call it, its been a great bike all together and can silence all that say bajaj bikes are this and bajaj bikes are that, this is really India's first true sports bike and as wine, 220 just keeps on getting better with age ( )
But seriously, the only problem i have faced is vibrations from the front fairing, got the double sided tape stuck, but today realized that it is vibrating between the fairing and tank, so will get that sorted too, i have been running the bike without the airfilter cap, enjoyed for a few days but now dont cause of the vibrating sounds, so will be putting the cap back on. Without the cap the bike use to get hot quite soon and the top end dropped a bit.

Thats about it, i guess everyone just reads this thread and no one replies, but do reply, ask something, anything, it can even be
Attached Thumbnails
Pulsar 220 (new) or the Apache RTR 180 - EDIT - Bought Pulsar 220 M-photo0438.jpg  

Old 27th May 2010, 11:54   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
cant post the Wheeling pics as i have only 1 set without my helmet.
do most guys wear helmets for photography purposes only?
Old 27th May 2010, 13:37   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Completed 5k kms just today, the Odo reads 5001 kms now, yahooooooooooooooo. I have already serviced the bike at 46xx kms.
Congrats on completing the 5k kms. Good to see that the bike is performing to your expectations.

What is the gains expected out of the mods you are planning on?
Old 27th May 2010, 13:49   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Xenon - for both with a twin beam mod
Do let me know how u go about doing this since there's no kit for P220. I am willing to do the same , please let me know once you have figured it out.
Old 27th May 2010, 19:02   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i guess everyone just reads this thread and no one replies, but do reply, ask something, anything, it can even be
Below is my reply and I hope I did not offend you.

Quote:
Touched 145 kmph.... Finally learnt 1st gear wheelies.... cant post the Wheeling pics as i have only 1 set without my helmet.
I seriously urge you to ride responsibly dude. A crash can happen in a split second which can either leave you dead or worse, a vegetable for the rest of your life.

Invest in a good helmet, preferably one which carries an international safety mark, a good riding jacket with protective armour (Preferably CE approved) and a pair of knee and elbow guards. You never know when it might actually save your life.

And while stunting is fun, wear your gear. Its downright stupid and immature to wheelie and do more without even basic protection like a helmet which is most important.

Since you are in mumbai, there are scores of shops that sell high quality gear... even imported stuff. While you may think it is uncomfortable to ride with all this armour and jing jang, let me tell you, it actually feels safe. I never ride my bike without my gear and it gives me confidence and makes me feel safe. But at the same time, doesn't mean you should exploit the fact that you are protected and ride dangerously.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:38   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Congrats on completing the 5k kms. Good to see that the bike is performing to your expectations.

What is the gains expected out of the mods you are planning on?
More power, better top end, i mean more top speed, i have TOUCHED 145 but normally ride at max 120 or so, so want to increase that, also would like more acceleration from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Do let me know how u go about doing this since there's no kit for P220. I am willing to do the same , please let me know once you have figured it out.
I dont need to figure it out, there is a thread on xbhp where a person has explained how to do it with the help of a diagram, its simple, just a small relay is needed. This is the thread - P220 Twin Beam HID Mod - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
do most guys wear helmets for photography purposes only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Below is my reply and I hope I did not offend you.

I seriously urge you to ride responsibly dude. A crash can happen in a split second which can either leave you dead or worse, a vegetable for the rest of your life.

Invest in a good helmet, preferably one which carries an international safety mark, a good riding jacket with protective armour (Preferably CE approved) and a pair of knee and elbow guards. You never know when it might actually save your life.

And while stunting is fun, wear your gear. Its downright stupid and immature to wheelie and do more without even basic protection like a helmet which is most important.

Since you are in mumbai, there are scores of shops that sell high quality gear... even imported stuff. While you may think it is uncomfortable to ride with all this armour and jing jang, let me tell you, it actually feels safe. I never ride my bike without my gear and it gives me confidence and makes me feel safe. But at the same time, doesn't mean you should exploit the fact that you are protected and ride dangerously.
I dont know if you guys know this but i have a helmet and a good one at that, i do wear it always but i dont carry it if i am just siting down in my building and when we decide to just go for a small round, i dont go and get it, it really doesnt make sense to do so, but if you do see me on a highway or any major road, outside marol, you can then tell me this. Also first gear wheelies cant really kill you, because you wont be over 20-25 kmph, and im sure i wont die then, and i had actually gone there to sit and just like that a few wheelies and burnouts started, and i have specificly not posted the pic because i know that what i did was wrong and do not support it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks