Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 14:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

For your height, I would recommend you to go with Pulsar 220, though I agree that it gets hit in the looks department.

For pure looks (and compromising on power), you may want to look at Yamaha R15.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:34   #17
BHPian

go for the RTR 180. its a well engineered bike and has been developed based on feedback from TVSs racing experience. The p220 is a poser IMO.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
@Technocrat - remember that those roads will have to be Mumbai city roads in this case. My TD on the Yamaha did not leave me thinking "more power"! In Pune fast moving traffic. On an open highway, I have no doubts the Pulsar's longer legs will come into play. But the FZ16 has lot more lower end grunt than the Apache, perhaps more than the 220 too, for all I know.
In any event, all I suggested that the Yamaha be TDed before buying anything else. I would love to buy the FZ16, but my conscience will not permit me. Not unless I sell the 500, and my son won't let me!
Well the need for more power would always be relative, right

Yes the FZ has more lower end torque than RTR 160 but certainly not more than the P220

Also while I would also say that he should test ride the FZ, given his requirements the P220 suits his requirements the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Actually Techno, thats not true. I find the 180 very city friendly in terms of power delivery as well as flickability. The power seems to be more evenly spread over the rpm range than the 160. I havent ridden my 180 much though but the 98 odd kms I have ridden have all been done in the narrow lanes and heavily crowded markets of Bangalore and I have never felt any lack of power at low rpms.

The OP is pretty tall so I am not sure if he would be comfortable on it or not but I am average (read 5 ft 8.5" and find it very comfortable.) My wife is 5ft 7" herself and has ridden with me for almost the entire distance covered on the bike and she finds the pillion comfortable.
Thanks Samy I havent ridden a 180 & hence said maybe, in any case the P220 has more power + torque & not to forget the awesome headlights. Also IMHO the P220 seat would be more comfortable than of RTR. I am not in anyway saying that RTR 180 has poor seats, all I am saying is that I expect the 220 to offer more comfort better
Old 10th August 2009, 14:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Also IMHO the P220 seat would be more comfortable than of RTR. I am not in anyway saying that RTR 180 has poor seats, all I am saying is that I expect the 220 to offer more comfort better
Yeah, I do agree with that. Atleast they look more comfortable

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2009 at 14:49. Reason: Splitting threads
Old 10th August 2009, 14:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
My requirements are simple :-
Fast
Looks good
can have two people sit comfortably.
I'm 6' 2" and i have an atheletic built on the slimmer side, weighing 72

I am buying it for fun, .. this will be 99% driven in the city and only max 20 kms out of bombay, so i want a good city bike.
kgs
Debatable looks, but give the CBZ xtreme a try. (Don't watch its TVCs though!). It's got enough oomph to put a smile on an occasional boy racing feat and decent ergonomics for city use as well. I think it should fit your height, but only a test ride'll confirm it.

No brainer that on race tracks it'll eat the mud of RTR and P220.

Last edited by five46 : 10th August 2009 at 15:01.
Old 10th August 2009, 14:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well the need for more power would always be relative, right

Yes the FZ has more lower end torque than RTR 160 but certainly not more than the P220
What else is a forum for if not to argue?
I will still say that perhaps the better rear tyre of the FZ lays down the power better and so there is more immediately available power! Besides, if the traffic does not let you use the extra power, if the 220 does lay down more, how does it matter if there is more power, relative or absolute, when constrained by traffic? Unless you think that more power will allow you to carve through traffic faster?!
End of the day, the thing to do is to TD the lot and take a call. I just happen to have a soft spot for the FZ, starting with the rear rubber!
Old 10th August 2009, 15:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

err while the the FZ sports a 140 section rear tire the P220 too sports a 120 section rear tire. Yes more power of 220 will allow one to carve through the traffic quicker & faster.

But yes FZ has its own charm & at the end of the day the person buying should really test ride the shortlisted bikes before buying one.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Besides, if the traffic does not let you use the extra power...<snip>

End of the day, the thing to do is to TD the lot and take a call. I just happen to have a soft spot for the FZ, starting with the rear rubber!
Sawyer, indeed if he rides on Laxmi Road/Nana Peth all day all that power is no use
But in Mumbai he could be on Western Expressway or Airoli Bridge for all we know!

Anyways totally agree with the TD suggestion although I am not fond of the FZ look at all (Fazer looks better IMO) but yes the rear tyre looks amazing!
Old 10th August 2009, 16:03   #24
BHPian

Let me tell all, the most riding i will be doing will be in crowded areas.
I will be getting a free flow and a air filter once the run in is done with.
I have riden the FZ S and it was awesome, but it seemed to puny for me.
The R15 with its thin tyres and R1 looks doesnt appeal to me(even though i love the R1).
The only problems i have with the P220 are its side looks and the (un)reliability issues.

For people living in mumbai, i will be traveling from Marol (home) to near lokhandwala versova (college) at around 11 am, so people know what traffic i will go through.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be getting a free flow and a air filter once the run in is done with.
You will be doing what ???
Quote:
I have riden the FZ S and it was awesome, but it seemed to puny for me.
The R15 with its thin tyres and R1 looks doesnt appeal to me(even though i love the R1).
The only problems i have with the P220 are its side looks and the (un)reliability issues.
So basically you are looking for a bike to seek attention
Old 10th August 2009, 16:48   #26
BHPian

Why is P200 not considered?
Old 10th August 2009, 16:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

because it is out of production.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:39   #28
BHPian

Of the 2 bike,P220 is bigger and more comfortable, as far as reliability issues, the newer bike must have addressed the issues.Do check with somebody who has bought the bike .
Old 10th August 2009, 19:48   #29
BHPian

i wud definitely suggest the P220. The Fi version did have reliabilty issues but the new ones a carb. Performance wise its a no brainer, the new 220 kills all and pretty much equals the R15.It does smoke the R15 on top speed but the lil yam as a package is definitely in a class of its own.But both the Yam and the Apache will be cramped for you. Id say 220 wud be the best bet.

OT:The rear tyre for the FZ sucks. Any tyre feels good on good tarmac.I've tried the FZ on the chennai track believe me, MRF could have done a way better job with it.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

The carb 220 puts power on the tarmac like knife in butter (by Indian standards ) Yamaha is a relaxed performance. The RTR 180 is the best streetbike overall.

Only a TD can determine which one is for you. On a side note the fairing on the 220 can be expensive and tough to maintain.

Most Viewed