Team-BHP - Pulsar 220 (new) or the Apache RTR 180 - EDIT - Bought Pulsar 220 M
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Pulsar 220 (new) or the Apache RTR 180 - EDIT - Bought Pulsar 220 M (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/63264-pulsar-220-new-apache-rtr-180-edit-bought-pulsar-220-m.html)

This is strictly ristricted to performance, i am more of a car guy, so even 30 kmpl is :Shockked: for me.
I know that the 220 is the fastest bike around, but really dont like its looks, but just loved the apache RTR 180.
1 of my brother had a pulsar 180 and wasnt very happy about it, 1 of my brother has a apache RTR 160 and is quite happy, but i dont need it for the regular use.
I am buying it for fun, as the car cant go everywhere, also this will be 99% driven in the city and only max 20 kms out of bombay, so i want a good city bike.
My requirements are simple :-
Fast
Looks good
and
can have two people sit comfortably.
Forgot
I'm 6' 2" and i have an atheletic built on the slimmer side, weighing 72 kgs

If I remember properly, my pulsar 180 was a small bike compared to the LML adreno and my friends RTR 160 which I drove recently seems to be taller than the 220. Why not td both. Apart from height, riding ergonomics will also play a crucial role.

Also when you talk about raw performance, you should be looking at a RD350.

I am not looking in to RD350 and yezdi as they are second hand and good condition ones will be a little difficult to find. The test drive thing i will do but, i wont get to know much, what i want is people owning or having driven them for a while to tell their points.
I read a thread about the new 220 but that didnt help much as the most comparison was between 220 and r15 and the height and weight werent near mine.

I don't like both Pulsar 220 and RTR 180, why don't you consider something else.

For your height the RTR 180 will not suite well, it's got a very short frame, the Bajaj will be more comfortable for your height, however I don't like Bajaj bikes, they are sort of grouse and don't age well. One suggestion would be to wait for the new ZMA.

Since The RTR180 is in your list, I would recommend the karizma. Its good for tall boys.

Otherwise I would say RTR180 is better than pulsar 220. TD them before deciding.

I hate the karizma, its just my opinion, i dont mean to offend anyone.
Anyways i am trying to search for the ZMA but cant find anything on it.
I was earlier thinking of getting the kinetic comet, but then abandoned the idea as would have to sit and search for a nice one.

My vote will go in favor of Pulsar 220

hate all the bajaj. sorry no offense meant. this is from a bajaj customer. have used pulsar 150 as well as driven many other bajaj extensively.
you dont get the positive feel from the engine. you feel as if some other the other parts in the engine are loose. the peculiar "kadd Kadd" sound from the rocker arms and the vague handling in panic braking at high speeds is horrible.

i suggest you to check RTR 180. it has the perfect RACE DNA. TVS are masters @ bike racing. the chassis and handling is awesome on thier bikes.
you can flick the bikes right and left easily in the city too.

Yamaha is the best option in the market currently. perfect ergonomics and each and every part screams" Look at my awesome quality and performance".
but 150 CC might be low for your liking.

TD the FZ16 before deciding on anything else. Great ride in the city. I agree with the Bajaj comments, they have lost the plot on reliability very badly. Too much emphasis on marketing and style I suspect. I think you will see them go downhill for a while now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 1424133)
My vote will go in favor of Pulsar 220

I second techno on that, being a proud 220 owner myself. The Apache simply would be too small for a guy of your physique. The 220 is quite a capable machine.

If the first criterion is "Fast" and second is looks good, I don't understand why there are suggestions of 150/160 cc bikes (Yamaha) ?

Pulsar 220 seems to fit the bill as does the Karizma (which the OP "hates"). I don't know much about the Apache 180 though.

Because if you read the post fully, you will see it says 99% in the city. I doubt that the faster part of the Pulsar over the Yamaha can be laid down on those roads. You implying the FZ16 doesn't look good perhaps?!
I ride a Bullet 500 and loved the FZ on a TD. It made me do a lot of silly things in traffic I am supposed to have outgrown, but I still love the thought of it as a toy. Except that the 500 is my toy!

Quote:

I doubt that the faster part of the Pulsar over the Yamaha can be laid down on those roads.
Yes Sir the extra power of the P220 is very much usable over our roads :) Infact the RTR 180 may have less usable power if the performance of the RTR 160(my current ride) is anything to go by.

@Technocrat - remember that those roads will have to be Mumbai city roads in this case. My TD on the Yamaha did not leave me thinking "more power"! In Pune fast moving traffic. On an open highway, I have no doubts the Pulsar's longer legs will come into play. But the FZ16 has lot more lower end grunt than the Apache, perhaps more than the 220 too, for all I know.
In any event, all I suggested that the Yamaha be TDed before buying anything else. I would love to buy the FZ16, but my conscience will not permit me. Not unless I sell the 500, and my son won't let me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 1424568)
:) Infact the RTR 180 may have less usable power if the performance of the RTR 160(my current ride) is anything to go by.

Actually Techno, thats not true. I find the 180 very city friendly in terms of power delivery as well as flickability. The power seems to be more evenly spread over the rpm range than the 160. I havent ridden my 180 much though but the 98 odd kms I have ridden have all been done in the narrow lanes and heavily crowded markets of Bangalore and I have never felt any lack of power at low rpms.

The OP is pretty tall so I am not sure if he would be comfortable on it or not but I am average (read 5 ft 8.5" and find it very comfortable.) My wife is 5ft 7" herself and has ridden with me for almost the entire distance covered on the bike and she finds the pillion comfortable.