Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 14:38   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
hmm, would that help in any way? Is it required? I dont really have a clue about this bro. Is it that the particles because of the running in might have clogged the filter?
Yes, the particles.
The would not have clogged the filter but they will still be there in it. If you are putting in fresh oil, better put in a new filter as well.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sammy Insist on getting the oil changed, its actually recommended to change oil in first 100 kms. He will say that its not needed but be firm & get it changed.
Is it true for every new bike?
Old 21st August 2009, 14:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I didnt do this for my Pulsar as I wasn't aware but have done it for both Karizma & RTR.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:15   #64
BHPian

The fresher the oil the better. Oil looses its viscosity after continual usage and also gets burnt, getting the oil filter changed after 100k is not needed.The amount of particles scraped of by the moving joints will be not in so much quantity to enforce a filter change..getting oil changed after the first 100k could be advantageous, for the only reason that during the oil change a lot of suspended particles will be drained along with the oil.. I change my engine oil every 3000k when doing exclusively city riding...if anybody rips their bikes regularly or do sustained high speed jaunts buns the oil quickly.The best way how to do an oil change (I read this in a book in my engineering days)is to flush the engine with kerosene to remove any sludge, drain the kerosene completely then fill it up with oil..I change my oil my self, reason being at the service centers they don't drain the oil completely which pollutes the new oil.. I recommend that the oil change must be DIY job, Ride the bike for a while ,heat up the engine(this decreases the viscosity) draining the oil completely use the kick lever, engage the gears(DON'T START THE ENGINE!!!!!!) to ensure the burn engine oil is completely drained and then I fill in the new oil..check the link below for better understanding
https://www.amsoil.com/comparison/motorcycle-oil.pdf
Old 29th August 2009, 11:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so just back from a 20km ride and the menace has now done 161 kms (yeah I am getting there, 1 mm at a time ).

Some observations:
The bike is great in stop and go traffic but give it on an open road and it almost got me into a fight.
No not with anyone else but between the heart and mind.

Heart : Come on man, a lil more twist of the throttle, whats gonna happen?
Mind: Noooo if you run it in properly, it will serve you better.

Heart: Hey whats a measly 50 kmph, lets atleast try 70'
Mind: No ways.

Finally they reached a compromise: 60 kmph

Made me realize the other side of the Menace. It just reaches 60 so effortlessly that it becomes difficult to control the urge to wring the throttle more.

Though, as soon as i crossed 55 i instinctively tried to shift to a non existent 6th gear.
Yes, I feel TVS should have introduced a 6th gear on the Menace.

Thats pretty much for now.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2009, 12:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though, as soon as i crossed 55 i instinctively tried to shift to a non existent 6th gear.
Yes, I feel TVS should have introduced a 6th gear on the Menace.

Thats pretty much for now.
Hey Sam, nice write up there. Happened many times with my Gladiator too, when I wanted to change to the 6th gear.
Good to know that TVS has such a belter bike under its portfolio.
Seems you are having a lot of fun with it.enjoy!!!
Old 29th August 2009, 12:24   #67
BHPian

Actually its not the speed of the bike that matters during the Running in period, its the RPM, most of the bikes I've ridden , at 4000 rmp or so (could be quite different for other bikes as it depends on gearing) it was doing 40kms per hour, so you could ride at 70 KMPH if the RPM is still low, because of the gearing
Old 29th August 2009, 12:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Heyy Manish, thanks bro. The Menace is a lot of fun to ride, though the running in will take me months if I continue the way I have been carrying on. (160 kms in a month and a half ) I usually prefer the Ikon for office travel so the Menace is hardly ridden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Actually its not the speed of the bike that matters during the Running in period, its the RPM, most of the bikes I've ridden , at 4000 rmp or so (could be quite different for other bikes as it depends on gearing) it was doing 40kms per hour, so you could ride at 70 KMPH if the RPM is still low, because of the gearing
I completely agree motorpsycho. I guess 60 would have been around 5k rpm or so in top gear (not sure though, will check and confirm)

Last edited by sammyboy : 29th August 2009 at 12:34.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heyy Manish, thanks bro. The Menace is a lot of fun to ride, though the running in will take me months if I continue the way I have been carrying on. (160 kms in a month and a half ) I usually prefer the Ikon for office travel so the Menace is hardly ridden.
Hey Sam,
Guess we are in the same boat. My Gladi is just getting to 14K kms in 3 yrs now. I generally prefer taking my bike to office, as its just 3kms from my place, and that too sometime I give it a miss for my Ikon.
Try riding it more. I feel guilty for leaving my bike when I take the car around and the same for the car when I take the bike. Guess it's just human.
Old 29th August 2009, 19:49   #70
BHPian

Though you cant compare it to Honda engine refinement. Haven't really reached higher speeds to comment more.

Why do you feel honda is more refined,ride it hard it also vibrates and about engine noise it more towards the silencer design than the refinement.
Old 29th August 2009, 19:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hey just open it up little bit somes , touch 100 and shut the throttle , let it come back slowly to 60 by engine braking and then again cruise . Keep changing the RPM .Happy runin .
Old 29th August 2009, 21:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Though you cant compare it to Honda engine refinement. Haven't really reached higher speeds to comment more.

Why do you feel honda is more refined,ride it hard it also vibrates and about engine noise it more towards the silencer design than the refinement.
Well Parimal, I have owned a Splendor for about 5 years and then used to ride a friends ZMA once in a while. Can say this from my personal feel that the RTR engine feels a little coarse. I am not saying thats a bad thing, if it were I wouldn't have bought it. It has nothing to do with the sound, its got more to do with the engine smoothness which I feel is more in the Honda engines.
You are perfectly right in saying that Honda engines are coarse too when you ride them hard, but I feel the RTR is not as smooth even when riding slow. But I guess thats what I loved about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Hey just open it up little bit somes , touch 100 and shut the throttle , let it come back slowly to 60 by engine braking and then again cruise . Keep changing the RPM .Happy runin .
You serious ? I am anyways having trouble keeping the speed in check
I have never really followed this method of running in, have heard about it and read about it but never tried it. Would it be ok to do this once in a while?

Last edited by sammyboy : 29th August 2009 at 21:40.
Old 29th August 2009, 21:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey Sam,
Guess we are in the same boat. My Gladi is just getting to 14K kms in 3 yrs now. I generally prefer taking my bike to office, as its just 3kms from my place, and that too sometime I give it a miss for my Ikon.
Try riding it more. I feel guilty for leaving my bike when I take the car around and the same for the car when I take the bike. Guess it's just human.
Lucky you man, my office is 12 km one way plus I leave late from my work as I go a lil late to office (majorly to avoid traffic) so cant really ride to office.

Yeah, you bet it happens to me too. Look at the bike longingly each time I take the car out . Am trying to use it more. Lets hope I am able to.
Old 29th August 2009, 22:26   #74
BHPian

sammyboy
Apache has over square bore and my be the reason for slight rough tone of the engine as the exhaust is if am not wrong specially tuned for the throaty roar with help of AVL from Austria.
And am owning a GLX 125 which has clocked more than 50000km still running strong and butter smooth and excellent power delivery.
Old 30th August 2009, 13:57   #75
Senior - BHPian

^Any benefits of Over Square Bore?I heard from a dealer the AVL involvement in RTR engine development.The Bike is smooth till 4K RPM.

Most Viewed