Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 20:54   #16
BHPian

Failed Models From Indian Two Wheeler Makers

TVS (or IND?) SUZUKI Power-UP was a failure model, AFAIK. Was this the same SUPRA Power-UP? We can add Royal Enfield SHERPA too a failed model from RE. The Bikes from Chamundi Motors too.
Old 16th August 2009, 20:58   #17
BHPian

Some of the 'edsels' I can think of:
1) TVS Centra: Ccvt-i, 100kmpl, but didnt deliver.
2) KB 125 rtz : It died a very early death unlike its counterparts which were forced out of production due the green lobby s axe.
3) Bajajs scooterettes like saffire, Wave, Rave, Krystal
4) Hero Honda Joy: dont ask me why! Must be the name! Same thing sells well with the name Dawn, Cd dawn etc!
5) HH Sleek: Maybe junta couldnt digest the stying back then( I loved it)
Old 16th August 2009, 21:00   #18

There were a couple of kinetic as well . One was the GF125 cant recollect the other one .
Old 16th August 2009, 21:01   #19
BHPian

Bmw F650

Guys don't forget about the BMW F650. I guess this was the biggest fail in the Indian two wheeler arena. A fantastic bike, with rock high price and technology ahead of its time. Still I can see this Funduro in Mumbai once in a full moon.
(An image for your reference downloaded from internet)
Another bike I must mention is Enfield Zunddap Fury - Front disc break, 6 speed gear box, fuel induction, indicators in mid 80's.. But failed drastically because of it's engineering.
The third one I can think of is Yezdi 350 - Twin cylinder, single carb. tachometer in the instrument console.
Forth - Enfield Fantabulas
Fifth - Rajdoot Runabout
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Two Wheelers that flopped-bmw.jpg  

Last edited by gaddiwale : 16th August 2009 at 21:03.
gaddiwale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2009, 22:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
...now the FZ 16, FZS and maybe the Fazer were not successes. Even the R15 is losing its sheen now!
FZ 16? I find it is very popular nowadays and won many awards too . Have seen a few not too many.

R15 is just awesome, It won't find many normal buyers, only the enthusiast, I wish it had a 250 cc plant! but then it might have cost say > 1.5 lacs

Last edited by rageshgr : 16th August 2009 at 22:39.
Old 17th August 2009, 13:36   #21
BANNED

Fury never came with 6 speed gear box and fuel injection.
Old 17th August 2009, 18:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha Enticer was not a failure !! For a cruiser model, it did sell quite decently. However Yamaha Libero, Fazer(old one), Gladiator, Yamaha YBX(sold for a while, until the CBZ came and wiped it out), Yamaha Crux( Who the hell thought that adding a letter R created a new model?), Yamaha YD125 etc all failed. I do not know which nincompoop came up with the idea of selling the same 125 cc engine from the failed YBX in various bodies, failing each time. They also made a 100cc version out of it, to fail in that segment as well. Good that they finally saw some shrink and now came up with models that are relevant for the market.

Bajaj Prowler was a still born, so was Suzuki Samurai GP(though it later took avataar as the Shaolin). Yamaha RXG 135 5 speed was sorts of a failure, as they reverted back to 4 speed version very soon.

Kinetic marvel is another name that comes to mind, Kinetic had the audacity to charge a premium for this pile of Junk. Kinetic 4s didn't make any waves either. Anyone remember the Kinetic Blaze? No? No problem. Kinetic Velocity? Kiski hain? Kisi ki bhi nahin Kinetic GF125, 175..Never ever heard of them, much less seen? Now you know why this company didn't succeed.

TVS centra with all it's techno wizardry failed to excite and along with TVS spectra, died early in it's life. How many people heard of the Supra SS? It was supposed to challenge the dominance of the RX100 and was the first bike from TVS to make 11bhp(Supra had various iterations, ranging from 9bhp upwards) and TVS even had a factory racing kit for it. Sadly, the bike never took off. It was probably the genesis for the Shogun. The Shadow never saw daylight, so I don't know if it can be called a failure.

Thats all I remember now, more for later
Old 17th August 2009, 19:15   #23
BHPian

just see link below, and you will be amazed!!!! 99% of the vehicles on that list bombed at the box office to say the least.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1213945
Old 17th August 2009, 19:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Yamaha Enticer can also be added to the list of failed Yamahas.Perhaps all their models but for the RD 350, RX 100, RX135 and now the FZ 16, FZS and maybe the Fazer were not successes. Even the R15 is losing its sheen now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
FZ 16? I find it is very popular nowadays and won many awards too . Have seen a few not too many.

R15 is just awesome, It won't find many normal buyers, only the enthusiast, I wish it had a 250 cc plant! but then it might have cost say > 1.5 lacs
rageshgr Thats right - in fact I said that but for the successes of the RD350, RX100, RX135, FZ16, FZS and maybe the Fazer (as its just launched) the other Yamaha models were Dodos.
I agree with you as far as the R15 is concerned, but its sales are not taking off as it should have after the FZ 16 range launch. Maybe buyers are preferring a 150 cc (FZ series) Yamaha at 75 K and not at 110K.
Old 17th August 2009, 19:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The SX Enduro from Bajaj.
This was launched at the wrong time. Launch this mud bike now and it will see a lot of takers.
Old 17th August 2009, 20:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

No one mentioned kinetic bikes

Gf125
GF170 laser
challenger etc
Old 17th August 2009, 20:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just because a model is not sold anymore, does not mean its a flop. For example Rajdot 175 was not a flop. Basically the whole moped market has died out due to cheap financing and superior FE of 100cc bikes. Also some 2 wheelers were popular in certain parts of the country only and then some were more popular in Rural areas only.

Enfied Explorer and Silver Plus were not failures. They were tremendously popular in the south in their time. As the years progressed, Enfield could not update them and hence they were discontinued after a succesful innings. Fury and Yezdi 350 on the other hand were failures.

Quote:
The exceptions were the very successful 125 cc Bajaj Cub and the 12 V electronic ignition Chetak of the 1980's, to name a few.
Bajaj Cub was 100 cc and 3 gears instead of 4 on the Chetak and Super.

Priya scooter made by MSL was 150 cc with 3 gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
  • Royal Enfield explorer bike
Quote:
[*]Enfield Silver Plus 65cc moped
PL 170 Vespa from Andhra Pradesh Scooters Ltd[/list]
PL170 sold steadly for many years. Company may have had management problems. why blame the product?? Same with Avanti Garelli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
  • TVS Champ,
  • Kinetic Nova,
Unless you live in a jungle near the Bhutan border, you should know that the Champ is one of the most succesful mopeds in Indian history. In fact its the only moped to be sold even today after the whole segment has collapsed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The list from my side is :
3) Kawasaki Eliminator ( was good with that smaller Kawasaki engine ).
Eliminator is still being sold today with Pulsar engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
2) KB 125 rtz : It died a very early death unlike its counterparts which were forced out of production due the green lobby s axe.
KB125, RX135, Shaolin were stopgap models in response to emission norms. They ran as long as the law allowed them to.

Last edited by Mpower : 18th August 2009 at 01:56.
Old 17th August 2009, 23:37   #28
BHPian

how about the LML Graptor and Beamer ? They're as rare as superbikes around here . I see more GF125/GF170s than the LMLs , though Energy and Adreno did okay. Any remember Kinetic Challenger ? Kapil Dev's ads ? Kinetic K4-100 step thru ? The ill-fated Pride and its successor , Style ? None of these did well .

I wouldn't call the Ambition a failure either, it sold quite well. The Achiever on the other hand, has to contend with the CBZ-X and Hunk within HH itself. Neither would I say the Street is a failure.

Among BAL's goofs, there's the Aspire as well , another 100cc variant off the 4S platform. Wind did seem to become common here , maybe didnt do well all over . And there's the Legend , Saffire , Krystal .

Among Yamahas, the YBX and Entice too did okay, as did the Crux & Libero. Not huge volumes , but not too shabby either.
Old 18th August 2009, 02:18   #29
BHPian

does anyone remember the PEGEUOT SPORTIF and ARVIND BENELLI scooter?
Old 18th August 2009, 09:52   #30
BHPian

Add Vespa PL170 by Andrapradesh Scooters Ltd and Girnar 150 by Girnar Scooters

Most Viewed