Team-BHP - HID for gladiator
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   HID for gladiator (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/63749-hid-gladiator.html)

i have a gladiator rs.the problem with the bike is the stock headlamps are pathetic,you can see a thing during nights.so i have decided to fit a hid kit on the bike.
but the problem is when i saw the gladiator manual the battery rating is given as 12V 5AH.
so can i fit a hid kit on 5AH batery? will it drain the battery during night use.i use the bike during nights for about 45mins to 1hr.
so please help me guys.

Hi mavrick,

I installed a chinese HID kit on my pulsar 180. I suppose it has a 9 Amp battery. The kit came with the lamp, a booster (HIDs need direct DC he said) and the wires. The mechanic then installed one more rectifer to increase the power output from the alternator.

Also, the new pulsars have contact less switches, so he had to fix separate switches for these lamps.

For a few days, the lamps seemed to work fine. After sometime, when I run the bike with the lights ON for more than 30 mins, the lights started to flicker and were eating up the battery power. Later, my battery went dead.

I checked with my regular service center and he advised me stay away from HIDs. I have restored to stock 35/35 lamps now.

Please note that this is only my personal experience. There could have been a problem in the HID kit too.

Today, I was installing the philips Xtreme power 60/55 for my Maruti 800. The dealer told me that the same bulb can be used on Motorocyles too. Any idea on it ? That should be a worthy/safe upgrade compared to HID.

Taking a cue from above; Can I fit an HID kit in my bike? I am doing 56 kms at night on the highway and its pretty scare to be not able to see the road. Mine is a Hunk which has pretty strong headlight but of no help on the highway.

PS: Whats the price?

@amtak,

From my personal experience, I would advise you to stay away from chinese HID kits.

I have planned to install the Philips Xtreme power 60/55 on my pulsar 180 before this weekend.

I will keep you posted on how it works out.

@ Para, whats the price of the philips Xtreme power? Mine is a Hunk. Any modifications needed? Relay to be changed or alternator fitted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by para_7k (Post 1438614)
I was installing the philips Xtreme power 60/55 for my Maruti 800. The dealer told me that the same bulb can be used on Motorocyles too. Any idea on it ? That should be a worthy/safe upgrade compared to HID.

Yes you can fix 60/55 bulbs into your bikes headlight, but before that make sure your alternator is done with proper winding(coil) to support the extra wattage bulbs, make sure the alternator winding is done by an expert electrician.

@sushrutha,

Thanks. I will check with an expert before proceeding.

@amtak,

The bulbs come in pairs and cost 950. I'm still bargaining to get a single lamp. I will keep you posted.

I am more than reasonably experience with this. I had installed 60/55W in my original Caliber ( old 7.7 bhp one ). It worked fine, people told me this will melt, that will happen, but in reality nothing happened. I now praise the strength of electrical system of Caliber. The stock bulb was non halogen 40/45W from philips. This was one of the best stock set up I have ever seen.

Now when I tried in my Zeus, the batter power was eaten as alternator was not capable of providing sufficient power.

Think twice before making any change because these bikes have electrical system that work on threshold. Add a small thing and its all upset.
If you know a proper mechanic who can handle the job for you, then rewind the coil, make appropriate change in rectifier ( correct me if I am wrong ) that is responsible for extracting the juice from alternator. Then try new things out, else leave it stock. I know that they are so bad, pathetic seems to be a good word for their performance.