Team-BHP - Pulsar 180 UG3and Apache 180-for a new bike? EDIT - Its the RTR 180
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Pulsar 180 UG3and Apache 180-for a new bike? EDIT - Its the RTR 180 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/63893-pulsar-180-ug3and-apache-180-new-bike-edit-its-rtr-180-a.html)

Hello Bikers,
Is there any review or feedback on new Bajaj Pulsar 180 UGIV ?I *may* be buying a new bike and Consolidating between P180 and Apache 180.

Yesterday evening ,I visited the dealer and checked the details for P180(no test ride taken).It seems to have got much better and almost like P200 with the handlebar etc.Kick Starter is missing.3 colours are available.The Sales staff said the Engine has improved and refined a lot compared to Old model.(Anyone?):D

I am not into racing;but Likes a Powerful(atleast to Indian standards) bike.Any Recommendations ?

I have seen a May 2009 UGIII Pulsar 180 blue colour for sale ,since the owner returned to Gulf.Isn't UGIV better than UGIII Obviously?(Because I read a -ve review about UGIV at mouthshut.com)

Pulsar 220 is not I am looking much into Buying.My Rides are mostly in Town as well as occasional long trips.

Another Bike I am considering is TVS Apache 180.
Do share your Recommendations

Just new color and face-lift etc when it comes to the Pulsar bros.

A biker right? Ride hard? Love fun? Apache it should be.

Well not really, the new 180 has 220's fork & handle Bar & Chasis along with the broad 120 section rear tire.

Both RTR 180 & Pulsar 180 are competent bikes & I believe the RTR has more power.

I would suggest that you test ride both & decide which one suits you better as the power delivery is quite different in both the bikes :)

My take on both bikes.

P180

Good:

1. Clip on handle bars, stepped seat, split grab handle, wider forks
2. 120 section rear and both tubeless tyres
3. Maximum power is now 17 PS.
4. I hear that its a little more refined than before.
5. Straight line stability is good due to the wider wheelbase.
6. Elliptical swing arm and O-ring chain (less maintenance)
7. The usual contact less and back lit switches.

Not so good:

1. I still feel that it is front heavy and prone to under steer when the speeds increase.
2. Weak rear brakes. Tend to lock big time.
2. Quality issues are still there. I have replaced the front footrests 5 times in 2 years on my P180 UG3.
3. Paint quality. This may be specific. The black engine paint on my P180 UG3 has started peeling off.
4. Bajaj service centers are not the best.

RTR 180:

Good:

1. More power 17.3 PS.
2. Super pricing. I guess its 65-67K on road.
3. Good build, fit and finish.
4. Better console. Has a clock and lap timer :D
5. Racing DNA. A perfect handler.
6. Brakes are simply outstanding.
7. Looks better than P180 in my opinion. The yellow 160 and white 180 are the best.
8. The split grab rail is more functional than the P180. The LED tail lamps are extremely functional.

Not so good:

1. Wider than 160 in terms of wheelbase but still shorter than the pulsars.
2. The bike overall is a little cramped and would be uncomfortable for tall/well built riders.
3. TVS re-sale values have not been good so far.
4. I have not heard great opinions about TVS service centers either.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. I'm not sure of the FE figures of both bikes.

Thanks for the info guys.Blue Pulsar 180 is getting my Attention.I am not so tall but heavy(108kg)lol:.TVS Apache 180 ,I have to check tomorrow.
My Priorities are Less Maintenance,Good Power Delivery and Good Road Grip and Trouble Free Engine(like Honda/Hero Hondas).
I think owning a Pulsar 180 UG2.1 before(2006) ,I can tell that it was somewhat OK for me except for Engine which after 40K km feels reduced power,vibrations etc.

Now that you can see that I am more interested in P180.

the dealer staff is telling that P180: now got suspension that of P220.Quality Generally improved a lot and Engine is more quieter.I am arranging for a test ride tomorrow.Dealer Price for P180 UGIV is 72K on road.If everything goes right ,I may buy P180 on Monday.Stocks are available though.

Apache 180: The Service in My Town is not so great with TVS and Suzuki.Any Review about Apache 180's Engine? Which One will get Applauds in Engine Department?If more positive reviews ,I will consider taking a test ride for Apache as well tomorrow.

Deep, I havent ridden this new Pulsar 180 so cant say anything about how it would be, But I do have an Apache 180 and found it to be pretty torquey. Good enough power band for the city and shouldnt be bad on highways as well (still in running in so cant say).

Para_7K above has put it well. I would seriously suggest a TD atleast of both bikes before you decide, but I am pretty sure you will end up with the Pulsar :D (your heart seems to be dragging you there so go man, hear what it says..u are the one who gotta ride it )

I have finalized for Pulsar 180 UGIV ,since I would like to Keep it for 3-4 years. :D
One Advice needed though(Kerala bhpians,please advise):
1)Popular Bajaj Dealership has got its direct operated branch(sub dealership) at Muvattupuzha(My town).
2)Royal Motors is Bajaj's Main Dealer in Thodupuzha(which is 20kms for me).

Should I take delivery of the bike from My town or from the main dealership at Thodupuzha?Please waiting for reply urgently.
thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 1442401)
but I am pretty sure you will end up with the Pulsar :D (your heart seems to be dragging you there so go man, hear what it says..u are the one who gotta ride it )

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepclutch (Post 1446983)
I have finalized for Pulsar 180 UGIV ,since I would like to Keep it for 3-4 years. :D

lol see I told you so :D. Congrats man, will keep an eye on this thread to read your report.

There's a comparo between both bikes in the August 2009 issue of BS Motoring. Unfortunately they haven't put up the story online. Do give the article a read in case you havent plonked your money down already.

Personally though, I feel the P180 is a better choice.

Yesterday got to chance to see both the bike Apache 180 and Pulser 180.

But did not got chance to ride.Bikes were kept side by side.

Apache was White and Bule Pulser.Following are my observation may be little biased to wards TVS a am big fan of them.

1> White Apache looks great also pulser looks good in blue.
2>Quality Apache is Far better and thoughtfully designed.starting from the grip,speed console, paint quality on engine the little belly pan under engine ever thing looks good on apache.Even the rubber quality on foot rests,quality of switch gear.
3>Best part when i asked the sales person to atleast start the bike he started the Apache first and just one thumb press bike started and settled to nice throty idle.Pulse took 3 attempts to start.
4>Am sure apache is going to be bettter handler than Pulser.

based on all the reading that iv e done over the last few months and that i personally owned a pulsar dtsi 150, i would suggest you go for the apache. The white, to me, is a stunner (no pun intended!). Add to that the white dials and the blue backlight. The pulsar 180 it would seem is a bit more heavier than the apache. However, on high speeds, straightline handling on the pulsar is better than the apache. Although the autocar (or was it autobild) review did not recommend the apache for taller riders.

Thanks

I was to take delivery of Pulsar 180 today.but I delayed it Hopefully to make a more convincing decision(myself).Apache 180 ,I am yet to take a test ride,since no bikes are available here for test ride.

I was very impressed with the ride and power of Apache 180. I could not test the handling as the test drive was short on a tarmac. But it does not suit my height, 6' 2". I would recommend you to test drive one and decide.

I have not driven a Pulsar. So do not know how good it is.

All the Best!!

go for the apache . a far better bike than the aging pulsar

I own a pulsar 150 what i feel is that both pulsars and Apaches require frequent maintainance after initial three years i would suggest you to go for yamaha/Hondas since they are much better and reliable than the bajaj /TVS products