Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 11:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

sorry for repeating it again in this thread...

Power is just not one thing to decide your bike.

See the technology involved in R15

The mono shock is proper mono shock unlike Unicorn and is mounted on hinges and not the swingarm

Handeling has to be considered for a powerful bike like 220

The Plastic quality is un- beatable , Pulsar fairing and Rear View Mirror vibrates like hell

Rear brakes of Pulsar Acts like a drum

The chassis of bike is un beatable

Compare the self starting of both the bikes and one can make out the difference

Initially i wanted to buy a 220 but when i drove the bikes i could make out bajaj is still a bajaj and YAMAHA is A YAMAHA

NO HARD FEELINGS SIMPLE PLAIN UNBIASED REVIEW

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 12th January 2010 at 11:04.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:40   #32

Hey everyone.

I got my new P220 plasma blue delivered a couple of weeks ago. I had been checking out reviews, and knew well the pros and cons of the bike. Since I am well built (read 6 foot tall and 100 kgs) I needed a bike which suits my built at least and found it VFM at just 78k onroad.

I have heard most of the people complaining about vibrations during riding, but I feel that even tho it is present, it is negligible. The RVMs are small, and initially found it useless. Two days ago, I spend some time on it, and was able to adjust it so that both the mirrors now function very well.

Love to ride the bike at night, with the powerful headlamps.

The ride position and comfort and handling is very good. I ride at a sane speed even in highways, around 50-60 kmph normally and I find the ride comfort and power quite good. The handling is very good and feels confident during riding. Breaking is good with the disk breaks, even tho the rear break performs like a drum break, which I feel is good atleast in our roads. Checked the mileage on two occasions, and found it to be 52 and 54 respectively. I am surprised to get this mileage, but maybe I got this as I am still in run-in period, not ripping the bike. Not posting any pics, as it looks just the same as the ones posted above )

Happy Riding
Old 1st February 2010, 17:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperadoxx View Post
Checked the mileage on two occasions, and found it to be 52 and 54 respectively. I am surprised to get this mileage, but maybe I got this as I am still in run-in period, not ripping the bike.
In my run-in period i got a mileage of 44 kmpl. Now in my city riding which is around 75 kms perday, i get around 40-42 kmpl. The worst i have got is 30 kmpl when i drove her constantly at around 100 - 110 kmph and 130 + occasionally from vizag to hyderabad.

52-54 !!! recheck man, there might be some kind of an error. I don`t know if anybody has got such figures.
Old 5th February 2010, 21:08   #34
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I did a 280kms non-stop trip on P220 DTSi. So thought of sharing the experience.

All along it was a decent highway stretch, all plain terrain only. All through out the journey I kept cruising at 105-110kmph. Had mild traffic at some places, still managed to do the distance in exactly 4.5 hrs. Mind you I never went more than 110kmph. Actually wasnt in the mood to go too fast since I have already experimented with the speeds in excess of 130's.

Frankly the mileage I got at those speeds was nothing more than 35kmpl.

After the trip I dint feel tired at all. Slight discomfort in my right hand fingers thats all, since unlike many I keep two fingers on the Disc brake lever while riding!

The suspension I feel has become more 'softer'. It does quite well over the normal patches. Not upto the Zma mark, but still I liked her suspension a lot. Feels like heaven over the prev Pulsar I owned. Just that larger pothholes are not quite enjoyed by ones back on this bike :(

The heaviness of the bike is a blessing. She just grips the road so well. 100-105kmph is quite a comfortable zone for the P220. We feel safe, in control and engine is just at around 6k.

Despite going at 100+ all the while, engine dint even give a hint of over heating or any such issues, and mind you, I travelled during noon. Even after those 280kms the bike was all the same when I parked it into my porch, not an extra sound, nor difference in pickup, missing or anything. All the very same when I took her at the start of the trip!

I LOVE THIS BIKE! Best enjoyed part is while overtaking, you never need to downshift. My previous 'long' trip was just 110kms, so this was a better experience overall. And to emphazise on the part that I dint even feel tired a bit, let me tell you, I slept that night at 1am, not even a hint of tiredness, unlike my past exp's I have had while going long distances on bikes.

Thats all.

CURRENT ODO: 6000
Old 5th February 2010, 22:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I did a 280kms non-stop trip on P220 DTSi. So thought of sharing the experience.
Superb Sam!! That was a good short review.

Had a quick question: You have mentioned that the engine was not too stressed when doing 100-105 on the bike. Was the engine sounding boomy when sustaining those speeds? On mine when i tried sustaining those speeds, it was a bit boomy and not Confidence inspiring to sustain those speeds. Not sure what has changed after service. Current odo reading 4073.
Old 5th February 2010, 23:48   #36
BHPian

No Abhinav, to me even at speeds at 100+ for more than 4hrs, there was nothing abnormal. Even after reaching home, I took off my helmet and had a close note of the engine sound,temp etc. Everything was perfect.
I know the modern bikes dont have heating issues after all, but still I emphazised on that due to two reasons :-
1) Bcoz i know this was a non-stop 4+hr ride at constant 100 most times. So its a good test for the engine as such.
2) Prev I owned a brand new Bullet Std 350 for just 3 months so that just brought me into the heating issue and stuffs! I rem just 50kms at 80kmph and we could feel our legs burning on a Bullet!

May be the oil cooler is helping a lot for the P220.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th February 2010 at 15:13. Reason: please read the note in your post carefully, you had been notified earlier too, thanks
sam_sant2005 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th February 2010, 14:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
No Abhinav, to me even at speeds at 100+ for more than 4hrs, there was nothing abnormal. Even after reaching home, I took off my helmet and had a close note of the engine sound,temp etc. Everything was perfect.
Cool.. Thanks for that Sam! Will get my bike checked out at the Pro Biking outlet.
Old 8th February 2010, 15:40   #38
BHPian

Guys, what's the RPM at 100 kmph? Did anyone notice?
Old 8th February 2010, 16:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

@proxima.... its between 6-6.5 k rpm
Old 11th February 2010, 22:59   #40
BHPian

RPM vs Speed for P220 DTSi

4000rpm - 65kmph
5000rpm - 80kmph
6000rpm - 95kmph
7000rpm - 110kmph and so on.

I went upto 135kmph.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:11   #41
BHPian

P220 rocks

had a test ride of say 100 mtrs in pro biking space near Ruby hall pune thats it and I bought the cocktail red 220 dtsi on 3 nov 09. did the first 500 kms running in with quick racy gear changes maintaing the under 4k rpm. till 1500 kms i managed to keep my control on not crossing 85 kmph speedo read.

after 1500 i started to rip and was surprised that my bike could not cross 125kmph. it would touch 110 115 very fast and after that even with ducking down it would manage 123 or 124 and the strange thing is it would not cross 8.5K rpm

i was happy with the overall bikes performance and agrressive nature of acceleration but then i boght this bike for top speed and this was a mood dampener.

i took the bike for 2nd service at Shirode auto and mentioned to service engineer to dyno the bike and he saw that with a struggle the bike managed to do 133 kmph. he said wait for her to open up. i said man its 2375 kms what open up. i want speed get something done. he said wait for another 300 kms.

wonder if his words were magic. at around 2685kms i just dont know what has happened the bike simply wants to speed up and the top gear was behaving like 4th gear acceleration. seeing this took the beast to work next day.

on the way to Ranjangaon just prior to reaching Kondhapuri is a straight 2 kms stretch. ripped the bike to max saw 9.5k first time and another first the speedo was doing 141kmph. crouched down and boy it was 146kmp. passing scorpios, Lineas, fiestas as though they were at 40kmph.

what else after this a big fat GRIN and goose bumps!!!

indeed i am very thrilled and i dont know what to say its rocking bike for the price.

btw i see 110 120 as regular figures on small stretches (say 500 to 750 mtrs like Kalyaninagar to Yerwada stretch - Pune people will know this road) whenever i get a chance to rip.

Finally the pull of the 2nd and 3rd gear till 9.5k rpm is MINDBLOWING!!!!!

the brakes are zillion times better than my 1992 machismo.
thankyou bajaj i dont care for any more refinement.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 13th February 2010 at 12:15.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

^^ The bike should be able to rev till 11K from 1st - 4th gear! Is that happening?

Btw whats your weight? With my 82kgs loaded on to the Dts-i it was hitting 145+ with ease!
Old 13th February 2010, 13:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
^^ The bike should be able to rev till 11K from 1st - 4th gear! Is that happening?

Btw whats your weight? With my 82kgs loaded on to the Dts-i it was hitting 145+ with ease!
5.6 @ 67kgs
i havent tried 11K as i found 9.5K was sufficient fun

will check the 11K today
Old 13th February 2010, 13:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
5.6 @ 67kgs
i havent tried 11K as i found 9.5K was sufficient fun

will check the 11K today
There is not much usable power beyond 9.5K anyways. But I just mentioned that your bike should be able to rev till the limiter cuts it off.
Old 14th February 2010, 16:34   #45
BHPian

hey but whats the rev cut off limit for p220 dtsi?
Apart from top speed 135kmph, I havent taken her rpm above 9k i guess in each gear. And at 135kmph cudnt get the 'gap' to note the rpm either.

But guys to be very frank due to the heavy nature of the p220, in usual circumstances (i.e. the ride in lower rpms, atleast initially), we tend to feel that the bike is not pulling as much. So only above 70-80kmph she is a rocket (no doubt about top revs).

Otherwise have to twist the throttle a fair bit to get the required initial pickup in 1st gear! :( But then if u twist too much, u ll have a wheelie (which i had on several occassions!!!) Problem is not that bike is not pulling, it just 'feels' so.
Reason why I repeat its just a false feeling is bcoz, RTR's or Zma's cannot catch up to p220 even initially, nevermind above 80 till 145kmph!!!!
and yeah maybe FROM 100 to 135kmph we cud see a R15 chasing us, though it needs to be above 100 atleast a few secs ahead of p220 to 'start' the race 'from' 100kmph

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 14th February 2010 at 16:42. Reason: typo

Most Viewed