Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:56   #1
BHPian

New P220 DTSi Ownership Review

Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTSi 2009

Date of Purchase :- 10th, July 2009
Color :- Red
First Service :- 640kms (12th August) => Rs.719/- (Teflon Coating incl.)

Current ODO :- 1000kms

Purchase price Cochin : Rs.82635/- (incl accessories, seat cover, waxoyl coating etc)

Max Speed touched :- 115kmph (Effortlessly)

Avg Mileage :- 39.5 kmpl (100% City driving)

My Background:-
Owned a P150Dtsi for 5 yrs and a brand new Std Bull for 3 months prior to this.

Some things about my new P220:-
  • Engine feels very smooth. Engine feel is similar to Zma.
  • 21bhp although doesn’t ‘feel’ so much initially, its real power is felt above the 80’s. Thanks to the 19nm Torque. Not saying its low down power is bad, just emphasizing about the high end power. Just compared it to RTR and felt it doesn’t ‘jump’ initially like that. May be bcoz its too heavy a bike!
  • Mileage of ~40 is a blessing!Sure to get 45-50 on highways.
  • I couldn’t say a single complaint to the service personal while going in for 1st Service! That was a huge plus bcoz my first P150 wasn’t quite like that!
  • Headlights have been very impressive till now. You put on the high beam and without doubt a ‘hesitant’ driver coming in your opposite direction ll dim his beams! Initially was tensed with this all new wiring system, but everything is fine. I ride in what you call the “bumper-to-bumper” traffic atleast 60% of my daily drive, so I guess the alternator and charging system are perfect.
  • Horn is a semi-let down. On highways at high speeds while overtaking trucks this horn could be a let down. In city its fine. I donno why they did that!
  • Riding posture – very similar to Zma again. No back ache, no wrist or forearm pain. I said that bcoz I had that poor exp with r15 when I took TD for a mere 8kms! P220 stance is sporty and we feel very confident while braking.
  • Suspension – Is better than normal Pulsars. Does reasonably well over minors potholes and bumps. Its swing arm is brilliant. BUT once u fall in a large ‘danger’ hole in the road, your back could take a beating. R15 I heard is better in this regard. P220 lands into huge potholes with a THUD. [FONT=Wingdings]L[/FONT]
  • Tyre and Grip are amazing. Wide and softcompound combination is wonderful. Once or twice did harsh braking, everything was perfect and actually the performance was quite unlike the older pulsars!!!
  • No vibes felt till now. Nor from the body neither from the fairings or anywhere. Some say build quality is bad, I wonder why!.
  • Rear disc brakes have improved the braking like anything. I used to often envy the Unicorn rear brakes. But now with the rear disc that problem is solved! Both disc work really really well!
  • Being heavy has an advantage. Has in fact more advantages than drawbacks. 152 kgs is cool! Feels planted in the road always. On highways a 120kg R15 in comparison looks funny, although its design makes up for it. But any day Bullet owners will agree that weight is a big factor! It handles quite well in city too with this weight though but may be not as much as our old old P180 or the new RTR. But straight line stability of P220 DTSi UNBEATABLE.
  • Gearbox has been very slick. No false neutrals or slips. Everything slots in well.
Now some problems:-
  • The design of the REAR mudguard/tyre has somewhere gone bad. While riding on wet roads, the dirt comes directly onto the riders legs!!! Not to mention the legs of the pillion. It just ‘sprays’ dirt all over the place. Bajaj should do something about that.
  • Obviously the rear view mirrors are just 25% useful. Rest 75% is covered by your arms. And mind you Iam just 65kgs. I wonder what ll happen if a 90kg man sits on it. It would be 100% useless!
  • I have noticed a few P200 with some disturbing noise from the engine. Yest after a continuous 25km – 80-100kmph drive I reached back home. Noticed a slight sound from the engine. But it was some noise like a pump rotating, not exactly a sound from the engine. I guess it’s the oil pump which is on work!!! Nothing to worry. Iam a person who really gets down into minor things while driving a vehicle be it a car or bike. So don’t mistake it to be a huge sound! But in short, these new Bajaj performance bikes ll make some noises from the engine and the initial ‘super’ refinement will be lost after riding for a while. That’s the base problem with Bajaj engines in comparison with Honda engines like the ones on Unicorn or even the Honda engine used in Zma.
My verdict is:-
P220 was VFM for ME. The goodies Bajaj offers are just amazing. Bajaj is constantly improving and know the needs of the customers. Bajaj engine some say might be a let down later, who cares. Who wants to ride a two wheeler for more than 5 yrs or 40000kms? My mindset is to change a bike every 5yrs bcoz designs change, technology changes then why not change the bike!!! So if you say Honda engine can run for 1 lakh kms, who the hell wants so much?
About maintenance, Bajaj has been troublesome for a few. But there are indeed quite a few who have found Pulsars to be very solid and maintenance free. I have used P150 for 5yrs and I have spent 4k per year on an avg which incl 3 accident repairs. I WAS happy with it otherwise why would I again invest my hard earned money again on a Bajaj bike!
And remember in between I did take a new Std bullet and got screwed up and had to sell it off in 3 months for this new P220 just bcoz RE QC is AMAZINGLY HOPELESS!

But thank god better late than never, I took a new P220 DTSi.

Regards,
‘Fastest Indian’ Sam

PS: Yamaha’s claims of beating P220 Fastest Indian I think is DUMB bcoz any bike can be modified to improve performance. The way the bike behaves in stock condition is what should be taken for the sake of general comparison. And that too their kit is around 30k’s!!! P220 is designed to be powerful as well as fuel efficient. Once you don’t want FE do something on the engine and Iam sure it can take on a modded R15 and make it eat its dust!!!

But even after having said so much, prospective buyers do wait for the new Zma and then make a deicision.

Last edited by Dippy : 21st September 2009 at 14:12.
Old 23rd August 2009, 13:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice concise review. The bike looks good in red, though black is my favourite.

How is the ride quality compared to Karizma or typical Honda bikes?
Old 23rd August 2009, 13:30   #3
BHPian

Ride quality is good enough. As I said the new swing arm is working perfectly with indeed a 'swinging' action going over rough patches and small bumps. A Unicorn friend of mine liked the rear suspension sitting as a pillion.
But the problem is not the usual road conditions, its the large unexpected one off pothhole. The bike front suspension does well, but rear crashes into it badly giving a jolt to the back to both rider and pillion. That I think although is better only with RE bikes or the mono-suspension bikes. So cant complain a lot about that. But since overall the bike is a huge package we tend to find flaws!!!
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I've always noticed that Pulsar's make an annoying exhaust note. The Honda and Yamaha's sound more refined and have a better calmer note.
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up Sam. The 220 is a fantastic bike, with features packed to the gills.My fav part of this bike is the light. It looks awesome. How about some pics of the Front?
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:00   #6
BHPian

@sammyboy:

here it is!
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sam, Congrats !
Quote:
sam_sant2005 : Horn is a semi-let down. On highways at high speeds while overtaking trucks this horn could be a let down.
Just one point - as discussed elsewhere on TBHP : that truck driver will Never be able to hear your horn. It's not that he doesnt want to, but the truck's cabin noise will make sure the driver cannot hear anything. So, pls dont expect him to hear you honk & give you way. & this is applicable to us car drivers too ..
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review.I hope the Pulsar Engine has improved a lot.test ride at least felt so(smoother) ,for Pulsar 180.

and about Pulsar Engine Life?It is a Hot Topic that Pulsar's Engine gets Vibration(NVH?) after 40000kms.I asked this to Popular Bajaj Service Advisor who says ,Bajaj will recommend a Cylinder Kit change as it is cheaper too after 40-50K done unlike (..).

Last edited by deepclutch : 23rd August 2009 at 21:31.
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Nice Review.I hope the Pulsar Engine has improved a lot.test ride at least felt so(smoother) ,for Pulsar 180.

and about Pulsar Engine Life?It is a Hot Topic that Pulsar's Engine gets Vibration(NVH?) after 40000kms.I asked this to Popular Bajaj Service Advisor who says ,Bajaj will recommend a Cylinder Kit change as it is cheaper too after 40-50K done unlike (..).

yes yes thats the whole point for not going for an r15 which is a good 25k dearer than p220! My dad had a bajaj 4s champion way back in 1996 and myself and my bro ripped it apart. in fact we both had our riding skills cleared in that. in a matter of 4 yrs the bike got screwed up but then a 8k job did the trick and the bike got a new cylinder, piston, full painting, chrome plating, new dome and some things like that which iam not totally clear off and she became as gud as new again!!!
Now thats the best part of Bajaj, low cost of spares!!! Even the engine can be revamped easily!
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sam,

Nice short informative review with good pics. Hope you have some more pics of the bike.

Am planning to go for a 220 Dtsi now and would buy a bike in end november, have convinced my parents somehow. Would visit a probiking next week to check out the bike as 220 are less in delhi.

Will go for Grey p220(looks deadly in grey-black combi) or plasma blue.
Am concerned about vibrations in 220, what is your view?
Old 24th August 2009, 08:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Sam,

Nice short informative review with good pics. Hope you have some more pics of the bike.

Am planning to go for a 220 Dtsi now and would buy a bike in end november, have convinced my parents somehow. Would visit a probiking next week to check out the bike as 220 are less in delhi.

Will go for Grey p220(looks deadly in grey-black combi) or plasma blue.
Am concerned about vibrations in 220, what is your view?
I havent felt 'over' vibes in p220. just normal things felt in a 4stroke.
Old 24th August 2009, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Who wants to ride a two wheeler for more than 5 yrs or 40000kms?
So if you say Honda engine can run for 1 lakh kms, who the hell wants so much?
Me! I want.

Quote:
I WAS happy with it otherwise why would I again invest my hard earned money again on a Bajaj bike!
Fair enough.

Quote:
But even after having said so much, prospective buyers do wait for the new Zma and then make a deicision.
Well said.

Quote:
My verdict is:-
P220 was VFM for ME.
The Fastest Indian is indeed VFM.
Good write up! Congrats on your purchase. Ride it safe!
Old 20th September 2009, 16:12   #13

Absolutely! It is indeed excellent VFM. Power, performance, ride comfort and mileage as well is great. I own a black P220 ( i call it the 'black knight' ), done 1100kms, mileage is around 48kmpl at average speeds 60kmph and gear shifts at 4000rpm. I have felt no significant vibrations so far!
Those thinking of buying it, shoud go for it.
Old 21st September 2009, 13:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Own a black 220 DTSi bought 2.5 weeks ago and done 660 kms so far. Waiting for the bike to run a little more to pen down a review of my own. But so far the experience has been good with just a few niggles.

Let me put down the niggle here and also Sam & knighthawk if you could share your bike's experience and let me know if this is a niggle that you guys face as well.
The rear disc brakes squeak and when pushing the bike there is an annoying noise.
When shown to the Probiking service advisor, he said that its due to the open calipers of the disc brake at the back unlike the closed one in the front. And according to him, riding in the rain will cause dirt and mud to deposit in the open calipers causing the noise. Not sure if this is the problem with all P220's.

Apart from this everything is going fine and the riding pleasure is amazing on the bike. Just cant get enough of riding this bike!!
Old 21st September 2009, 14:14   #15
BHPian

@Sam,Congrats and nice review..

Its good to know the fastest INDIAN is also good on FE..

RideSafe,
Satpal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks