Team-BHP - Expert mechanic for Yamaha RX100 in Pune?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Expert mechanic for Yamaha RX100 in Pune? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/64098-expert-mechanic-yamaha-rx100-pune.html)

Hi friends,

I own a 1991 make RX100 which was restored in 2006 by a local mechanic. The bike was lying around in my garage for the last 2 years or so. Now, when I try to ride it, it isn't the same what it used to be earlier :(

The bike gives hiccups when accelerated, the kind of behavior when there is low fuel in the tank. please:, can someone point me to a Yamaha RX100 expert who can help me fix my bike's engine issues. I have tried some mechanics but nobody has been able to solve my issue

@Mods: I did not find a similar topic on searching the forum, hence created a new topic. I hope I haven't missed anything :)

Take youe bike to Shrish Joshi,Am sure he will solve all your bike problems.

His address is Mobike Center Girija Vihar Soc.,Karve Nagar,Nrar Alankar Police Chauki.Let me know if you want his mobile Number.

My RX is maintained at Desai Garage in Fatimanagar. Does a really good job at a reasonable rate. PM me if you need more details.

You can also go to Sheri Bhathena right next to Kayani Bakery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parimal_g (Post 1447236)
Take youe bike to Shrish Joshi,Am sure he will solve all your bike problems.

His address is Mobike Center Girija Vihar Soc.,Karve Nagar,Nrar Alankar Police Chauki.Let me know if you want his mobile Number.

Hi Parimal,

The bike was with Shirish for 3 days last week :) The issue was not fixed :( I will be giving him the bike again today. Lets see what happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 1448166)
You can also go to Sheri Bhathena right next to Kayani Bakery.

Are you talking about the Yamaha service centre next to Kayani?

Sheri's workshop is near Kayani, opp Wonderland (East Street Side).

@AlstomVaz: I have PM'ed you my query? Please check.

@Parimal_g, straight6 and Samir Taheer: Thanks a lot for the info guys.

Update: Just came back from Shishir. He had a ride on the bike and then opened up the seat and then the tank. Below the tank is some coil. He cleaned the connectors to the coil which had carbon deposited on them. Thats why a break in the current and above behaviour. The bike is fixed :) and I have no words to describe my ride back from his garage to my office :D It was simply awesome.

Thanks everyone

Quote:

Originally Posted by alstonvaz (Post 1447332)
Does a really good job at a reasonable rate. PM me if you need more details.

Please share those details publicly, so that they may be of help to other users of the community. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1450457)
Please share those details publicly, so that they may be of help to other users of the community. Thanks.

Posting the address Alston gave me:

Desai Garage,
Opp Kedari Garden,
Fatima Nagar,
Wanowarie, Pune.
Ph: 9890340303

Any other places that people know of, please post them here.

great to know your bike brought smile back on your face.And Shirish is great guy and excellent doctor.I used to service my GUN at his place only all the way from Dombivli.
enjoy your ride,RX 100 is great bike specially low end torque fun riding in city,small flick able.:)

Yours truly here for the RX 100, but I am about 850 kms away from Pune.
Expert mechanic for Yamaha RX100 in Pune?-dsc04020.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by parimal_g (Post 1456768)
great to know your bike brought smile back on your face.And Shirish is great guy and excellent doctor.I used to service my GUN at his place only all the way from Dombivli.
enjoy your ride,RX 100 is great bike specially low end torque fun riding in city,small flick able.

Hmmm... It indeed is a great bike for pleasure riding. I have been riding a Pulsar 150 regularly and the RX is a break from the old schedule. I have mostly (atleast since last week) ridden the RX since it was fixed. It like the old days are back again :)

The best thing about Shirish is that he will only fix what is needed and will not ask you to change everything like most company service centres do...

GUN? :Shockked: Whats that?
You get your bike to service to him all the way from Mumbai? OMG!

(24th Jan, 2014)
Hi guys,
First off all, I'm surprised to find so little information on TBHP regarding Pune mechanics? All posts seem to be Bangalore / Kerala / TN heavy (which is understandable.) (Is it because I've been looking in the wrong places on the site? or maybe just because I'm a total Newbie!)
Anyway, I wanted to share my experience trying to find someone to replace the terribly gutted wiring harness on my 2002 RX135.
I went to Nanapet (obviously) and looked for Sallauddin (I had heard he is the go-to person for any RX wiring related concerns.) For those who want to try and locate him, he has a small shop right next to Kaka Halwai shop at Nanapet.
To be honest, I had to make a couple of attempts at his shop to find him. And frankly he didn't seem at all interested in fixing my bike's issues. I also noticed that he was in a hurry when I asked him. No interest whatsoever (maybe because his expertise is in great demand. I understand.)
I asked him a few questions about when he will be available, what spares/kit I would need to procure, etc.
After a not particularly lengthy conversation, I discovered I had the wrong battery in the bike (Amaron, what?!) and that I'd need to find and purchase a new wiring harness.

OK. Good so far.

I agreed that I will get back in touch with him once I have located an original wiring kit and LH switchgear (previous owner had fitted an adapted 5 speed OE one with the pass switch for flashing headlight at silly ‘high-beamers’ of India, which now appeared to be a 100 years old.)
Now, after this I went on a hunt for the original wiring harness and LH switch gear.
Tilak Spares had recently shifted their shop and the old location of the shop only sold helmets (You'll know this if you're in Pune and own an RX.) The chap at the old shop very politely guided me to the new location of the shop.
Kapil's (Tilak Spares' proprietor) shop is now located at Quatergate (exactly opposite HDFC Bank, near Padamjee.) Very hard to miss, save for the tree which sort of blocks your view when trying to look for the shop's board.)
Anyway, I pull up in front of the now large and bright shop and Swapnil (Kapil's assistant) immediately recognizes me and smiles.
I park, and say hello. Kapil isn't there.
I ask him if he has the original wiring harness/kit and switchgear. He, of course, nods yes and asks which year, etc. He also says, he might need to double check the new one(s) against the old one my bike is running. I guess he called Kapil to double check this 'curve ball.'
And I'm just talking to Swapnil while he's sifting through stuff, looking for what I needed so much!
…and this guy standing next to me asks me if I'd like him to install the new kit???

Now I'm gobsmacked. I had no hope of getting the kit done up quickly as I knew Sallauddin would've given me an appointment for next week or later if he could help it. Now here's this guy asking me I'd like him to install the thing, right now.
I'm thinking wow! I can have my cake...and eat it too! I asked the following questions:
Q1. Kitna time lagega (how much time will it take...this particular job apparently is notoriously time consuming, so I'm a bit wary considering it's kinda getting dark..)
A1. Saab, adha, ek ghanta lagega, fatafat karta hoon.. (chap says 30 mins to 1 hour, I'll try to hurry up..)

Q2. Kitna paisa loge? (How much will you charge me to fit the kit and the wares?)
A2. Saab 500 rupai loonga. (I'll take 500 bucks.)

I immediately agreed. By now Swapnil had brought out about 2-3 possible original versions of the Wiring Harness in nice shiny Yamaha packaging. But Swapnil again said he'd need to verify which one will fit into the bike. He then proceeded to help Swapnil zero in on a probable fit for my bike.
Lo and behold, this guy Javed is lightning fast, like he was born to do this, genuinely a happy worker. 10-15 minutes into stripping out the old wiring, in walks Kapil, the owner of Tilak Spares. I say hello and nod towards Javed working on my RX135.
Kapil gives me this re-assuring look (don’t worry, this guy is good.)
Few other pesky things that I needed to fix (along-with the severely annoying lack of anything electrical working on the bike; below list includes the bits needed for replacement of the wiring harness itself and also to enhance the reliability of the whole electrical system; Price in Rupees in brackets next to item.)
1. LH Switchgear {this is the non-pass original one} (500)
2. Wiring Harness 4TL version (430)
3. Battery - Tata Green (had to replace the Amaron as Javed suggested. apparently the Amaron battery doesn't get charged and causes a world of problems with the Yamaha electricals.) (800)
4. Front Number Plate {old one was breaking apart for some reason...} (90 + 70 for numbering with black tape. The number plate lettering guy is located close by)
5. 4 small bulbs in instrument console (32)
6. Indicator Bulb (10)
8. Indicator Flasher (55)
7. Battery Pipe (20)
8. One of the 2 Headlight screws {without which the headlight makes an irritating buzzing sound} (10)
9. Fuse box - (50)
10. Pilot box RH {the one which holds the ignition key hole} (90)
11. Choke lever holder and associated screws (60)
12. Handle Lock replacement {the old one was broken for some reason, and I couldn't lock the bike, had to make do with a cable lock...Yeah, I was nervous and had to check on my bike all the time, especially when not parking in the office parking...so scary!} (150)

Total spend - circa 2500/-
Payment to Javed - 500. And yes, he didn't just do the wiring harness, he installed the remaining bits and pieces too, and did it while being a total joy to talk to.
He was talking about how he got started in the trade, speaking about Kothrud, where lots of good Yamaha RX mechanics are located in Pune. I picked up on that and said that he may have in-fact worked on one of my old college buddy's bike in the earlier part of the 2000s. He recognized the name immediately and laughed. He said it's a small world. Indeed! I really liked my friend’s RX135. It was a nice little rocket.
Then I started talking to him about other issues with the bike, and that it's been lying around for about 6-7 months without proper use ever since I got the Suzuki Access for office runs. He heard on…and worked away at the wiring.
He double checked....and triple checked everything with regard to the wiring. He got into ‘the zone’ and started to check on other things. I thought while he was at it, might as well...
It seemed to me that he really enjoyed his work, and it also seemed he doesn't touch other bikes, which he promptly confirmed. "Mein sirf RX ka hee kaam karta hoon saab!" (I only work on Yamahas!)

Impressive so far. By now I'm convinced I have made the right decision by having Javed work on the bike.
I told him about some of the sundry issues I was facing like the chain making funny (not worrisome) sounds after the change to Michelin Cirac Street 2.75’ in the front, and 3’ in back a week back (yummy.)
He said he will look into it if time permitted and take a quick round to check other things. It’s already around 7 PM and it’s getting dark, although the bright light outside Tilak’s is sufficient to find a lost earring.
By the end of the hour, everything lights up, I’m about to shed some tears of joy. Indicators, horn, brake lights (front and back! yay!) headlight (seemed to be brighter on the new wiring? Could be something else, he electronic hobbyist says voltage wouldn’t change due to wiring…
I ask him to take a ride and check what else needs to be done.
(I suspected he will talk about working on the engine, I already knew there's much work to be done as the engine sounds like cats in a bag!)

Sure enough, he comes back and says he thinks the engine needs to be worked on. Says that is his forte and in standard tradition (perfectly reasonable and in fact a sign of a good mechanic) did not commit to exactly what all things in the engine needed to be restored. He mentioned he would need to take a look to see what bore the Engine was on and also if the bearings, et al needed to be replaced.
To be honest he told me a lot of things which I frankly cannot recall to pen down here. He is clearly an expert, has worked on Yamahas for most of his professional career, and knows all the little quirks that make our Yamaha RXs so unique and sweet (ahem.)
In my book, he's established himself with his know how as (a potential) expert and I will confirm things again after I have had work done on The engine. Kapil says he has everything that Javed might need to bring my bike back to its old glory.
I paid him and took his phone number so that I can contact him early next month (when I have enough money to be able to afford a new set of block and piston plus kit in case I need it to be replaced (Original 4TL 4 speed one is 8.5K.) I will also get a spare one to hoard for the next iteration of repairs, I know it's going to cost a hell of a lot more later after I'm through the one I get next.)

As far as the electricals on the bike go, everything works.
Oh and I had the spark plug changed as well, the responsiveness and ease in starting (warm and cold) is markedly improved. (I'm so happy. now I'm looking for silly little excuses to go for a ride. Wrote this after a breakfast run at 7.30 AM?!)
So in case you are my side of the town in Pune (or near Camp, Quatergate,) you can find Javed working away on some poor ol' soul's Yamaha in front of Kapil's shop. That is if you make it to the spot before 7PM.

Tilak Spares Address:
(Shop # BF9, Kaveri Co-op Society, 896, New Nanapet, Opp HDFC Bank, Pune - 2.
Phone - 020 32909866)
Sorry about the lengthy post. Hope you enjoyed it and are able to benefit from it. In case you are looking for a good mechanic this side of Pune, you can rely on Javed. He is one of the better (still to see him work on the engine) mechanics who specializes in all things RX. Happy riding!
:thumbs up

Hello everyone,

Am looking for an independent service station for Yamaha R15, Ray and Alpha in Pune.

Literally fed up of authorized service centers.

Ideally, it should fulfill the following criteria :

1. Reasonable labor charges - At least 30% - 50% lesser than ASS
2. Usage of genuine spares - Goes without saying
3. Ability to quickly detect issues - Should't request to keep bike for the extended period unless there is a genuine issue
4. Timely delivery - Delivery at promised time
5. Tool set - Equipped with required tools and machinery, no Jugaad kind of tools
6. Parking space - Shouldn't park bike on road attracting dust and minor scratches etc.
7. Communication - Not asking for a chap who has read "How to win friends and influence people" but should be open to listen to my point of view as well. :D