Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 14:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Also early mornings when I kick-start the bike, just when it idles, there is a tick-tack sound (quite loud) which goes away when I give more throttle. Any idea what that could be?
If you stay close to viman-nagar , you can go to alex/kunal , get the tappets adjusted. I had the same nagging issue with 750 kms on the odo.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:10   #32
BHPian

well an update with finally some pics! Took her out on a ride (of about 90kms or so) this last saturday. On good roads (NH4) the bike was amazing, did not even feel I was on a bike for about 25 kms (those words are of my wife who hated going on bike rides longer than 10kms on my old bike). After leaving the highway it was not bad but the usual bumps/potholes on the road made their presence felt. Still was fun to ride (keeping it below 70..mostly at 60kph)
currently 1400 on the odometer and planning to add a few more kms this week-end.

Bike is dirty in the pics, not cleaning it daily as its raining almost every evening (thunderstorms!) over here for the past week or so. The last pic is an earlier one from my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bird has landed! (Royal Enfield TBTS new ownership review)-tb_side.jpg  

The Bird has landed! (Royal Enfield TBTS new ownership review)-tbird_me.jpg  

The Bird has landed! (Royal Enfield TBTS new ownership review)-tbird_side.jpg  

Old 24th September 2009, 19:31   #33
BHPian

Quote:
optional silencer - short silencer (Rs 2400), I paid Rs 2000 (400 back for stock silencer)
I just enquired for the stock company short bottle silencer at the RE spares shop in Bangalore, and they quoted Rs.1500 with the bent pipe.. strange!!!
Old 27th September 2009, 00:58   #34
BHPian

Abs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post

About braking, I don't have issues with the front disc even when I am wading/heavy rains. Addition of the ABS which saferide offers is a very good option since the front has the tendency to lock up like crazy especially in the wet. I have one running and I am more than satisfied with the braking performance. Highly recommended.
Jay - does that ABS provide real improvement in braking distance and preventing lock ups or was the improvement an ephemeral perception.
Old 27th September 2009, 11:59   #35
BHPian

hello !

Had a query ! Isnt the UCE engine too Loud, in terms of clatter ? I was getting my Bike Serviced ( IInd Service ) & a guy came up on his TBTS & it sounded bit weird.

why is it so ? i see the ownership. how do you feel the sound is ?
Old 29th September 2009, 12:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Jay - does that ABS provide real improvement in braking distance and preventing lock ups or was the improvement an ephemeral perception.
I have said this before and I'm saying it again. The ABS manufactured by Saferide(I don't know about the cheap Chinese imports) is not an ABS per se. It is more of a hydraulic delay mechanism that will help prevent the wheel from locking up to the maximum extent possible. So, this gives you time to ease off and release the brake lever, thus preventing a skid. So, your skill also comes into the picture. More than the braking distance being reduced, the possibility of the skid reduces to a large extent. So, I guess it is a worthwhile addition, especially for a RE.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 29th September 2009 at 12:07.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:31   #37
BHPian

shan2129, yes the engine clatter is very irritating and I just wait for the rpm to rise a bit so that the thump can overpower the mechanical clatter. But I guess can't do too much about it other than close the lid of my helmet to deaden the sound a bit :-)

Did a 320+ km ride on saturday. On some decent roads and some bad broken bits (route = Paud - Tamhini - Mandangad- Mahad - Varandh - Bhor - Pune)

Had actually planned to stay somewhere in Konkan (Ratnagiri district) but somehow that plan flopped so came back. On the good bits of road the bike was excellent but on the bumpy ones it was bouncing a lot especially for the pillion. My wife is not used to riding bikes for a long duration either so was not too happy about it. I guess next time I need to stay more or less on NH4/NH17 or atleast make a break journey.

Anyways bike ran very well (stayed under 65kph so took a long time to get back home, :s ) Waiting to get it serviced at 3k and then do an even longer run.
Old 30th September 2009, 14:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:

On the good bits of road the bike was excellent but on the bumpy ones it was bouncing a lot especially for the pillion.
Anyways bike ran very well (stayed under 65kph so took a long time to get back home, :s ) Waiting to get it serviced at 3k and then do an even longer run.

Hi Abhay!!
nice to read your ongoing thread. Yes I too felt the bike a bit bumpy on uneven surfaces. I feel incorrect tyre pressure might be the culprit. need to check it once again at a good filling station.
cheers!
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Have you had a chance to stretch her legs yet? Can you share your impressions of the bike at highway speeds?

Although, I am from the old school I have to admit that your bike is a looker in its own right. Not only does the UCE look better than the previous AVL engine, it fills up the engine bay(for the lack of a better term) enough to enhance the overall proportions of the bike.
Old 4th November 2009, 13:27   #40
BHPian

Beast_of_Burden, unfortunately no..I have ridden her on highways but have not been able to stretch her legs so to speak. She has now done 2300 kms and probably will get her 2nd service done this week-end. Perhaps time for another long highway run next week-end then. Have not crossed 75kph yet and mostly ride at 60-65 on empty roads.

Hoping to reach higher speeds progressively after this service is done.
Old 18th November 2009, 12:25   #41
BHPian

another update - just sent the bike for her 2nd free service.
odo reading - 2807 kms.

On this past week-end the clutch cable gave up..I find that surprising (even though its susceptible) that a cable should let go after just 2.5 k running. Luckily I was about to turn into my apartment complex and coasted down in 2nd gear. Asked a friend to grab a new one from RE store and get it for me. Also on the same day noticed that the letter "A" from the embossed RE name on the tank had fallen off. Really weird.

Say whatever about Bajaj bikes reliability, my older Pulsar probably had a clutch cable break down only once in 5 years and have never seen anything falling off the bike, especially the name of the Maker!

Asked if I could get it replaced and got the answer that I HAD to buy an entire set which costs - Rs 1100!! Crazy.

Guys from Pune, any idea where I can get a letter made and fixed on to the tank? apart from scratching one off from another TB lol!
Old 19th November 2009, 10:43   #42
BHPian

Got the bike serviced and it appears to be good (well not much different apart from the clutch play, yet to check if the shocks setting is better).

As for the letter A - any idea if and where I can get it done cheaply?
With so many bikers around I would have thought someone might know or have had this problem of letters falling off..
Old 19th November 2009, 12:25   #43
BHPian

abhay , have you faced any issue with shocks , i have been getting a " thud " everytime i go over a pothole or even speed breaker esp with a pillion.
Old 19th November 2009, 14:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
Asked if I could get it replaced and got the answer that I HAD to buy an entire set which costs - Rs 1100!! Crazy.
Was wondering where I'd read that reaction. Yes its indeed quite expensive, especially when you lose just 'one' of the letters.

Quote:
As for the letter A - any idea if and where I can get it done cheaply?
There is actually no solution, try some local mechanics. Probably they'll have some letters.

Quote:
Say whatever about Bajaj bikes reliability, my older Pulsar probably had a clutch cable break down only once in 5 years and have never seen anything falling off the bike, especially the name of the Maker!
Other bikes have stickers, not embossed ones.

Quote:
On this past week-end the clutch cable gave up..I find that surprising (even though its susceptible) that a cable should let go after just 2.5 k running.
About clutch cable failures, I've had my share. Clutch cable used to last for about two months, if not less. The current one, thankfully, has been running for almost 1.5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden
Not only does the UCE look better than the previous AVL engine, it fills up the engine bay(for the lack of a better term) enough to enhance the overall proportions of the bike.
Couldn't agree more. The UCE engines seem quite large and look good on the Thunderbirds. The older Thunderbird looked a 'bit' weird with a lot of empty space between the tank and the engine. The UCE fills it quite well. It even looks good on the Classic.

Quote:
On the good bits of road the bike was excellent but on the bumpy ones it was bouncing a lot especially for the pillion.
Have you checked the rear suspension settings?! You could make it a bit higher. Don't make it too high, else it'll become too firm and hard.

Last edited by Gordon : 19th November 2009 at 14:23.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:48   #45
BHPian

I have just completed a 450km trip on my bike this week-end. Through bad roads and good and twisties/ghats and long straights, the bike ran very smoothly. Super bad, broken bits of tarmac are a nuisance, but then show me a bike which can take it well as some patches were so bad that there was not even a single smooth line.

Did not do any high speeds, still trying to contain myself (just crossed 3k in this trip, odo is now at 3300 odd) but did a steady 70kph whenever the road was good and mostly ran at 65-70. Did touch 80 on a couple of occasions but had a hear a "slow down" from my pillion rider immediately!

Looks like due to all the bumps suffered during this journey it will even tougher to convince her for another long ride next time. Already have promised no more bike rides for next month or two but am already itching to go. Another thing is the fuel economy, i did not buy this bike looking for a cheap commute but then who does not like it when unexpectedly it is giving you 40+ kpl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks