Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Probably. But I've run with larger jets, all you manage to get is lower average although I touched 105kmph (didnt push beyond that). The mixture was too rich, which is why probably the beat of the exhaust wasn't all that good. Back to stock jet now, with proper adjustments and its running awesome. Not a single misfire or gurgling sound when you back off the throttle after pushing it. Proper pickup, touched 105kmph again, so I have no complaints (as of yet since a year).
Old 4th April 2010, 09:29   #32
RVD
BHPian

How does one check if the mixture is too rich/lean ? I guess lean mixture is much easier to detect for its tell tale symptoms than the rich mixture ( at least I am not aware ). I tried pushing my bike and like I mentioned, it touches 100 + without any sweat. The acceleration is much more linear now but it does misfire a wee bit if a retard the throttle suddenly but if I keep the throttle where the "play" begins for the accelerater(or a little more) then there is no misfire. If I do go one size up on the jet, what size do I go for and much should that cost ?Coming back to my previous question, where can I source glass wool from ? Will I get it at an audio shop as they might be using it for sound dampening ? Thanks to you all for your replies

Regards

Rahul
Old 5th April 2010, 14:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD View Post
How does one check if the mixture is too rich/lean ? I guess lean mixture is much easier to detect for its tell tale symptoms than the rich mixture ( at least I am not aware ).

The acceleration is much more linear now but it does misfire a wee bit if a retard the throttle suddenly but if I keep the throttle where the "play" begins for the accelerater(or a little more) then there is no misfire.

If I do go one size up on the jet, what size do I go for and much should that cost ?
@RVD: Looks like my answers have not been helping you much . When the engine is running rich your spark plug will get fouled, which will lead to starting problems. Other symptoms could be erratic idling, over revving, dark smole in exhaust + smell of petrol, low fuel efficiency to name the main ones.

There are some meters to check the exact Air/Fuel ratio, but mostly the setting is done by feel. Setting up the carb is more an art than a science, and each person may have a different liking. My mechanic has never done the settings to my liking. I always end up changing it based on my driving style and preference.

If you have slight popping, it can be rectified by adjusting your air screw and idle setting screw. Jets are VERY cheap (20 or 30 rupees), but provides excellent performance improvement. Usually jets are advanced in jumps of 5, meaning, if you have a size 15 pilot jet, next you would try a size 20, then 25 and so on. If your main jet is a 105, you could try a 110 or 115. I currently have a size 20 pilot jet and a size 140 main jet. So, the choice of jets is not set in stone.

Infact, I have a few main jets such as 110, 115 & 125 with me that you could try and see if it makes a difference. I think I have 25 and 30 pilot jets as well. PM me your number and we can hook up.
Old 5th April 2010, 23:10   #34
RVD
BHPian

@ganesh : Sorry, did not understand what " or your spark plug seems too light" meant from your previous post. Now I get it. Well, I dont have/had any of the symptoms that you mentioned. So thats good. I will probably try and adjust the mixture needle and see if it helps. If I remember right, I read in one of JAYPRASHANT's post that turning the screw anticlockwise richens the mixture for this carb. Will try it out. Also,thanks a lot for offering to lend me the jets. This way, I can test them first and then decide on the one to purchase. I have PM'ed you my number.

PS : You are more than welcome to have a look at the JAWA anytime except it looks like a junk right now. Will require a lot of time and patience to get it back to the shape it deserves. Will start a thread on it in the near future.

Regards

Rahul

Most Viewed