Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2006, 23:55   #1

K&N Filter on Pulsar 180 - few doubts

i own a pulsar 180 cc dtsi(fear the black) and am very happy with the performance and milage of the vehicle..fuel economy is between 46-55.. the other day i just happened to ride a pulsar 150 with a k & n and was totally taken aback by the sound of the vehicle(almost ike an rd).the bik was stock fitment,even as old as mine.. only diff was the k&N. i want to fit a k& n on my bike but cant make up my mind cause of the following
1)will it experience a huge drop in fuel economy
2)will it affect the long trm life of the bike??

the bike is only 9 mths old and has completed 15000 km...

dont want to do anything more cause the bike is well within the warranty period

i am not looking for that extra performance.. just doing it it for that mesmerising sound..

is rejetting required??
please advise.. thx
Old 17th October 2006, 15:22   #2
BHPian

Yes.. Rejetting is defanitely required and it can be real time consuming to find correct jet sizes.. your initial pick up will be drastically low cos your pilot jet will not be able to supply enough fuel to the carb to maintain 14:1 air to fuel ratio.. since more air is comming in to the carb. you may have to play around variuos jet sizes to get the right match.. you cannot depend on your mech to do this for you.. its fun to do it urself.
Old 17th October 2006, 17:58   #3

oh..thanks for the reply.. will there be a drastic drop in my fuel economy with the regetting???my riding is basicly betwwen 50-80km/hr....
Old 17th October 2006, 18:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Depending on the Upjetting you do,there will be a drop in economy.Say,if you use the standard RC-1060 K&N,the drop in eff will be negligible but the bigger the K&N,the larger the jet you'll have to use and you eff will drop depending on your riding(ie..if you chumma rev to hear the sound)

Last edited by binz : 17th October 2006 at 19:07.
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:51   #5
BHPian

K&N Filter on Pulsar 180 - few doubts

heyy!!

i just got a new K&N air filter for my pulsar 180. i have noticed that there is a significant change in the engine noise at higher revvs(4000 upwards). considering that the airfilter is component which is used before the actual combustion taking place in the engine, ho does it manage to change the noise?????

also ive heard from a friend (who also retrofitted his pulsar win K&N's) that these filters are bad for the pistons of the bike. is this claim true to any extent???

please help me out!!
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
heyy!!

i just got a new K&N air filter for my pulsar 180. i have noticed that there is a significant change in the engine noise at higher revvs(4000 upwards). considering that the airfilter is component which is used before the actual combustion taking place in the engine, ho does it manage to change the noise?????

also ive heard from a friend (who also retrofitted his pulsar win K&N's) that these filters are bad for the pistons of the bike. is this claim true to any extent???

please help me out!!

i don't think it is the engine noise and nor related to exhaust. it must be intake roar and actually it should sound good .
bad for pistons? can't say exactly, but if the bike is running too lean (due to increased airflow in to the carb) for too long it might result in damage. carb retuning/rejetting will be the solution for that.
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
i don't think it is the engine noise and nor related to exhaust. it must be intake roar and actually it should sound good .
bad for pistons? can't say exactly, but if the bike is running too lean (due to increased airflow in to the carb) for too long it might result in damage. carb retuning/rejetting will be the solution for that.
i guess noise is too strong a word here. im in love with my bike new "growl" aswell,just wanted to know the reason. could you explain more about the "bike being too lean" part??

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd September 2009 at 14:49. Reason: Fixed the quotes
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
i guess noise is too strong a word here. im in love with my bike new "growl" aswell,just wanted to know the reason. could you explain more about the "bike being too lean" part??
running lean- more airflow compared to stock setting in the bike's carb. this will result in better mileage but power or pick-up would go down.

if fuel flow is more than required then the bike will be running rich which is not advisable again.

after fitting the after-market performance filters like k&n the carb needs to be adjusted for a balanced fuel flow to compensate the more air available. this can be achieved to some extent by adjusting the air-flow screw on some bikes. otherwise carb needs rejetting.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd September 2009 at 14:49. Reason: Fixed the quotes
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:34   #9
BHPian

Or in simple terms if you had it fitted by a professional then you dont have to worry because he knows he has to tune the carb so he would have made you sit after he fitted and would have spent some time with it.

Try to check your emissions you will be emitting NOx at a dangerous levels. Damage levels can be due to overheating of the engines !!

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 3rd September 2009 at 14:38.
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:

running lean- more airflow compared to stock setting in the bike's carb. this will result in better mileage but power or pick-up would go down.

if fuel flow is more than required then the bike will be running rich which is not advisable again.

after fitting the after-market performance filters like k&n the carb needs to be adjusted for a balanced fuel flow to compensate the more air available. this can be achieved to some extent by adjusting the air-flow screw on some bikes. otherwise carb needs rejetting.
what are the benefits of doing this??? also what are the concequences of not doing so??

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd September 2009 at 14:50. Reason: Fixed the quotes
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:48   #11
BANNED

While K & N increases the airflow, do not expect a cat to become a tiger. The power gain may at best be about 3-6%. Also, one must watch out that the freezer induction is not at the coat of filter efficiency, esp. in a dusty country like ours. More dust will naturally result in more wear and tear.

I an afraid according to the Spicer report on air filters K & N scored rather poorly in terms of flitrartion efficiency. I am sure you will be able to find this on the web. unfortunately, the original link is no longer operative.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Like others have mentioned, the sounds is essentially an Induction noise.

I too had one on my P180, while it bettered the mid range it almost killed the top end. Believe its mostly a feel factor than any significant gain in actual performance.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:36   #13
BHPian

Bivin: The benefits of tuning your bikes carb is that it wont not run lean. It will not be polluting (NOx). It will not over heat and therefore some long term engine damage will not happen.
I think you also know the consequences.

@sgiitk: Sir, I thought K&N were good in filtering.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
what are the benefits of doing this??? also what are the concequences of not doing so??
benefits- you make more power as you are burning more fuel
if not- you are running lean and 'll result in engine damage in the long run..

as Technocrat rightly said definitely most of it is feel factor. but if the carb is tuned properly you can really enjoy whatever the improvement you see in the engine response.
Old 3rd September 2009, 18:17   #15
BHPian

Oh my god. I ran a search in the web there are lot of people complaining about the filtering efficiency of K&N ! .

SGIITK sir was indeed correct. I m sorry pal, how much did you spend?

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 3rd September 2009 at 18:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks