Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 10:25   #16
BHPian

I have a friend who owns a bullet and a member of RTMC (Royal Thunder Motorcycle Club)-Bangalore and usually do lot of long rides on Bullet. I have done couple of rides with him and just fallen for this masterpiece. Frankly speaking I wanted to pickup a Thunderbird, but after the test drive its completely out of question now. Thunder bird and machismo are no doubt good motorcycles, but it doesnt give a bullet feel. As Shubhendra explained, it has a AVL engine which is very reliable and good on FE. Very suitable for long drives, but I personally feel its not a bullet.
After the test drives, now I am keen on buying a Electra. Though Standard and Electra share the same type of engines, Electra has improved suspension and diskbrakes compared to the standard.
Also, I would personally do not prefer or suggest a self start in Bullet. The reason being if you need a self start, then you dont have to own a bullet. You get that option in any bikes these days.
Bullet should be started on a kick, that gives a bullet feel. However, now I am quiet unhappy because I need a Electra and the new Electra comes with self start and I dont need a self start. Making a long story short, I am trying to compromise with Self start on Bullet. Also, if I have an option to buy a recent model second hand bullet, I am ready for it. The new showroom price for Electra is not 85k in Bangalore. Below is the price list I got from Teknic motors (Indira Nagar) and BTM showroom 2-3 weeks back.

Standard 350 CC - (Basic) 72,780 - (On Road) 82,883.
Electra 5S ES DISC - (Basic) 85,859 - (On Road) 97,625.
Thunderbird TS ES DISC - (Basic) 94,015 - (On Road) 1,06,819.
Machismo 350CC ES DISC - (Basic) 91,988 - (On Road) 1,04,535.
Machismo 500CC ES DISC - (Basic) 1,02,045 - (On Road) 1,16,311.

Another point to be noted. Royal Enfield is phasing out the Cast Iron engines (Std and Electra Engines) by mid of next year and all the models of Royal Enfield will have AVL Engines going forward. As you know, the second hand prices will go up for those engines and making it unaffordable then. Hence, if you are planning to pickup and bullet please dont delay. Also, if you find any second hand good machines, please PM me.
Old 10th September 2009, 10:37   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath_rbk View Post
the real Bullet doesn't exist anymore
Rather a real biker doesn't exist anymore.

Pick up what you can afford and like. All possible opinions about what is a better buy have been mentioned in the previous posts.

If you keep looking at each point minutely you aren't probably ready for a Bullet.

Look else where those prices are daylight robbery.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:47   #18

@rabnawaz_b: Thanks for your opinion and the much needed pricelist.

@Spitfire: I agree without you... Without being a real biker searching for real bullet is not a justice~~

Somehow I am more inclined towards Electra 5S itself.. I will discuss the pricing with the owner. How much would be a descent deal???

The bike is..
2007 Electra 5S ES DISC, costed around 94 onroad.
Accessories - A crashguard and is in absolute stock condition clocked 23k kms.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

AVLs are much better if you wish to keep distance from workshops and mechanics.
Hence, I would recommend Machismo.
Machismo with its chrome looks better too.

However, if thump of bullet is your main criteria - then Electra is better bet.

Prices seem pretty high. But then I don't know much about the used bikes market.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:51   #20
BHPian

Electra VS Machismo

1. You won't feel much difference in riding position or quality. However Machismo would have a clattering sound. Electra has a smoother sound and original bull thump.

2. Since both of them have the gears and brakes on conventional sides, so thats not an issue for you at all.

3. Looks is a major factor, even though I wanted to buy a an Electra, but I still ended with a machismo purely because of the looks.

4. Machismo's engine is more towards the fill-it-shut-it-side side when compared to Electra (but do not compare with other bikes, it still requires extensive maintenance).

5. Since Electra has a CI engine, you cannot (or rather should not) ride it at above 90kph for more than 5 minutes. On long rides, you have to constantly do 70-85 kph. Top speed in 98kph. In Machismo, the top speed is 110kph and you can ride on that speed for whatever time you like.

Overall the feel of Electra is more towards the real Bull, however Machismo offers retro looks and bit more convenience. And remember that most of the parts are same and quality is same, so 90% problems would be same with both the bikes.
Old 10th September 2009, 13:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Whats wrong with 65k for a used Bullet?
Most Bullets are not well maintained and timely serviced. Someone who takes good care of the bike with proper timely service. Replacing or keeping the bike in topmost condition at all times, investing his time in watching out for it would deserve that kind of amount. Or in fact more.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Electra VS Machismo
....5. Since Electra has a CI engine, you cannot (or rather should not) ride it at above 90kph for more than 5 minutes.

Why

On long rides, you have to constantly do 70-85 kph. Top speed in 98kph.

from any specific speed tests? pls let us know.

In Machismo, the top speed is 110kph and you can ride on that speed for whatever time you like.

Someone pls share info on speedometer error % of post 2000 RE bikes.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:48   #23
BHPian

@Rennjit - My knowledge is not based on technical know how, but on things I have read on Tbhp and other forums.

When I say the top speed, I am talking about the speeds mentioned on RE website itself. Infact I have just checked and it says 100 kph as the top speed for 5S and 110 for Machismo. Not sure how I remember the 98 number though.

Regarding why not using the CI engine at top speed for more than 5 minutes, I really did not read the logic of it, but its a recommendation from seasoned riders to not to do so. If you explore the forum more you will find it mentioned at lot of places.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath_rbk View Post

Somehow I am more inclined towards Electra 5S itself.. I will discuss the pricing with the owner. How much would be a descent deal???

The bike is..
2007 Electra 5S ES DISC, costed around 94 onroad.
Accessories - A crashguard and is in absolute stock condition clocked 23k kms.
I am still awaiting for your opinion..
Old 10th September 2009, 17:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Renne i would not be sure of the errors but only thing that i can say is that they are Massive most of the times.

any ways i did a top of 112or i think 115 on the GPS on my way to Chandigarh last year in december and the result was a piston seizure. hehehe
Old 10th September 2009, 18:08   #26
BHPian

Shashank - If you could please enlighten us on the technical reasons as to why the CI block is best kept around 70-85KMPH and just 5mins at 90KMPH?

One my good friend own an 04 RE Electra and he is a good rider. Due to his work scheds he often had to ride from one place to another in a hurry and he used to gun it down the DND expressway at 100/110KMPH(indicated) and the Bull has still not complained as yet. Its now ridden by his younger brother and its still fine till date.

AFAIK the only problem with the CI block was oil leakage which use to go up a little with constant high RPM running. Yes if someone is careless and does'nt check the oil level then results might be catastrophic(Read engine seizure).

Ofcourse, its a lot more pleasure riding the Bull at around 60KMPH with the constant "DUG..DUG..DUG..DUG" thump making music to the ears.
Old 10th September 2009, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Renne i would not be sure of the errors but only thing that i can say is that they are Massive most of the times.

any ways i did a top of 112or i think 115 on the GPS on my way to Chandigarh last year in december and the result was a piston seizure. hehehe
Hi Deep,
I am really amazed by your knowledge. I request you all other bullet enthusiasts to visit my thread and give me your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 10th September 2009, 19:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

bharath, you have already got lots of inputs, let me add my 2 cents

I own a 350cc Machismo (5speed) and a 500, i have done quiet a few of rides on both.
Since you require inputs only on the 350 here it goes..

Machismo is best in the lot for long rides, maintenance is easier compared to other bulls(read CI), 5speed is good you ride in very slow traffic or cruise for long it works for both..

This bike takes lots of beating, have done many rides crusing at 80 to 100 constantly and with very less stops...

I think for me Machismo will be the choice
Old 10th September 2009, 19:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Regarding why not using the CI engine at top speed for more than 5 minutes, I really did not read the logic of it, but its a recommendation from seasoned riders to not to do so. If you explore the forum more you will find it mentioned at lot of places.
Shashank thats untrue, have done loads of rides and most of them about 80+ for a long time and there is no issues.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
.... any ways i did a top of 112or i think 115 on the GPS on my way to Chandigarh last year in december and the result was a piston seizure. hehehe
you remember speedo reading then? & which one- '77 Std or Electra seized?
I think Electra-5s' are under estimated reg their potential on better speeds & reliability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks