Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 17:01   #1
BHPian

Silencer change for my Bullet CI 500

Bulleteers, after a lot of thoughts i've finally decided to change the stock long bottle silencer in my '93 CI 500.

My need is a bit more meatier thump, i hate the loud sound of the free flow ones and the rocket silencers, so they are out... After researching a lot, i've zeroed in on the below 2.

1) Company short bottle silencer: I have a STD 350 with this silencer and it just sounds wonderful

2) Goldstar with baffles: My friend got this installed in his TB and I drove it, its good.

If anyone has changed their silencers for their cast iron 500, please enlighten
me about the pros and cons.

This is what I have now.
Attached Thumbnails
Silencer change for my Bullet CI 500-bike3.jpg  

Old 21st September 2009, 17:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jingaboysr,
Although i do not have 500, but my friend has 500 CI with 350s short bottle from last few years and it sounds very good.
My suggestion is to go for original Short Bottle.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 21st September 2009, 20:47   #3
BHPian

Same as above, I don't have a CI 500 but I've been around my friend's CI and it is fitted with the Goldstar. It is really loud and doesn't have a very heavy note. Kinda like if you did not have a subwoofer. If you want a heavier note, go with the short-bottle exhaust. If you can source it (Prem Motors, Shivajinagar) get the original CI 500 short bottle exhaust. It is pure heaven. Else get the standard. I have it on my LB and it sounds very, very good! If you want a loud, rasping sound, go for the Goldie.
Old 21st September 2009, 21:38   #4
BHPian

hi ! two very close friends of mine bought two CI 500's on the same day long long back, they both changed the Silencers to the Short bubble ( bottle) from RE ( original ) & they sound amazing. So go ahead, but make sure you do change the Bend pipe ( it makes a difference )
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:06   #5
BHPian

Is there a difference between a STD 350 short bottle silencer and a Std 500 short bottle one? I thought they are the same!!!!

I generally buy my spares from Prem motors so sourcing will not be a problem. If I go for the 500 short bottle, I need to change the bent pipe? Are they different from the one I have right now?
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:17   #6
BHPian

hi ! No both Short bottles are same ! there is absolutely no difference, I said to change the bend pipe Because As my mechanic told me that its better to put on the Whole New Set of bend pipe & silencer to make the BULL sound better. You can keep your old bend pipe, but it might give you some fitting problems as its a bit shorter than what comes with the RE original KIT ( Silencer + bend pipe)

Refer : the pic you attached.

IF you go with the current bend pipe you are using it wont be a problem, but you might feel the whole silencer to be a bit short

** The Bull Guru's here might clarify on this
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:27   #7
BHPian

came accross this!!

Stumbled accross this today. This seems to be the lookalike of the upswept exhaust used for the new classic.
Attached Thumbnails
Silencer change for my Bullet CI 500-2815.jpg  

Silencer change for my Bullet CI 500-2816.jpg  

Silencer change for my Bullet CI 500-2817.jpg  

Silencer change for my Bullet CI 500-2818.jpg  

Silencer change for my Bullet CI 500-2819.jpg  

Old 24th September 2009, 08:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Stumbled accross this today. This seems to be the lookalike of the upswept exhaust used for the new classic.
I have seen 2 kinds of bend pipes, the curvey one (stock) and this one, with a reverse C bent, is there any real difference between them ? Some people prefer the later, I wonder why.
Old 24th September 2009, 09:13   #9
BHPian

AFAIK the curvey one comes with the STD 350 and the square one ( or the reverse C type) came with STD 500s, RE still produces it i think.

Has anyone ever seen or heard the up-swept silencer in my picture above? I inquired abt the price, its 1.8k including the bent pipe. The only thing is that they will ship it from Karol Bagh, delhi and I am put up at Bangalore, so I have to take the risk if I want it :(
Old 1st October 2009, 12:02   #10
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning to change the stock silencer to the short bottle one after the running-in period. Can anybody tell me how much it would cost for me for the orginal RE one including the bent pipe?

Thanks
Old 1st October 2009, 12:50   #11
BHPian

it costed me Rs.1650/- for both from the RE dealer here in my city.
Old 3rd October 2009, 20:44   #12
BHPian

I checked at Sandhya motors, bangalore, its Rs1600 for both the silencer and the bend pipe.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
I have seen 2 kinds of bend pipes, the curvey one (stock) and this one, with a reverse C bent, is there any real difference between them ? Some people prefer the later, I wonder why.
Hi Pretorian
There is not much difference in both of them as they are readily available and are locally produced.Some people thing that the angular one gives a more bassy beat with the same silencer as this bent pipe used to come in CI 500 and lightning 535 cc which were know for there heavy thumps.
Nevertheless,This bent pipe is more of a cosmetic thing than a performance enhancing booster.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Bulleteers, after a lot of thoughts i've finally decided to change the stock long bottle silencer in my '93 CI 500.

My need is a bit more meatier thump, i hate the loud sound of the free flow ones and the rocket silencers, so they are out... After researching a lot, i've zeroed in on the below 2.

1) Company short bottle silencer: I have a STD 350 with this silencer and it just sounds wonderful

2) Goldstar with baffles: My friend got this installed in his TB and I drove it, its good.

If anyone has changed their silencers for their cast iron 500, please enlighten
me about the pros and cons.

This is what I have now.
jingaboysr,

I like the cover in your Tank. Can I fit one in Thnderbird fuel talk? Where did you get this, Cost etc? Thanks a lot.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

Assuming you are also into touring, I have a few suggestions.

GET rid of that crash guard. That is a very bad design and I have personally seen it trap a bikers leg against the engine. Get a simple crash guard like the one on my bike. Check my profile pic.

If you are changing the silencer, do not forget to upsize the jets. If you don't you will get a lot of back fire issues.
These can be so strong that the baffles inside the silencer can break away.

I had this happen to me during a 1800 km ride.
Not a nice feeling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks