Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:55   #31
BHPian

My experience with Fazer

Hello Dear BHPians!

I thought of sharing my experience with my new Fazer by starting a new thread but found this one and felt this is the right place to share my experience.
Though the owner of this thread faced problems with the dealer, i didnt experience much problem in getting the bike dellivered as i payed the full amount on Day 1 itself coz i was very impressed with Fazy and i had no second thoughts. Let me put things straight.
My Budget : Less than Rs.80,000
Confusion creators : Pulsar 220, Karizma, CBZ Extreme, Hunk and Apache.
My Ride then : Discover 110cc (My Dad's Choice and I Love my Dad
My Story : After owning Discover for more than 4 years and as i was about to complete 1 year at HCL, i decided to upgrade my ride and started test riding all those confusion creators. Pulsar 220-Awesome power..but it was a Bajaj and i didnt wanted my bike to get older in just 2 years, Karizma is good but typical old looks, CBZ Extreme and Hunk- I dont know why i went for a TR , Apache was awesome but since im 6 ft it looked too small for me. Then came the Fazer, i didnt get a chance for a test ride but fell in love at first sight. I got the Red one delivered within 2 days of paying Rs.80,790 and with the help of scratch card i got Rs.1000 cash back!
Till date (20 days over) i'v covered 900 kms and 1st service is already over. Now let me get share the facts,
1. Engine is underpowered (153cc). Low end torque is the worst. I feel this because my previous bike Discover though a underdog had an amazing pick up but fazer lacks it (This is the only Minus point of Fazer)
2. Though the bike looks like a monster the handling is very easy without causing strain to my wrist. I wonder if this bike would ever skid and fall in steep curves and Im sure not coz of the road grip it offers!
3. Mileage i have got till 1st service is 45KMPL and there isnt much change after the first service. Since the engine is brand new im just maintaining my revs lower and iv never exceeded 55 kmph, only once i was forced to cross 80 kmph while overtaking a long truck.
4. The rear shocks seem to be a little stiffer ( i expected ride comfort of Unicorn as it also had mono shocks but Fazy is a little stiffer)
5. Awesome Braking characteristics, thanks to the large disc brake upfront!
6. Though the pillion seat seems smaller it is comfortable still.
7. Digital console is really beautiful to look at during night drives esp with the orange color Backlight.
8. Only one side of the head lamp can be swithched on at a time. Because each bulb is 35 watts (Low and High beam) and Yamaha Engineers are not fools to keep this setup. There might be some reason behind this. My guess is since the bike doesn't have kick start and everything is much depended on the battery they would have thought not to pressurise the battery too much as the headlights are DC. Of course both lights can be lit by keeping the switch in mid position but it will affect the battery in the long run.

Though people complain it as a 150 cc bike i still feel it has its own advantages
1. Definitely Yamaha could not release a similar good looking bike with 250 cc under 1 Lakh Rupees.
2. Mileage factor plays a role- i get 45 to 50 KMPL only beacuse its a 150cc engine inspite of the fat rear tyre.

City riding is very easy thanks to the fully retractable RVMs! just push the mirrors far down and it turns out to be a perfect city bike inspite of its monstrous looks! This point may be confusing for some people but just take a test drive and im sure you'll feel the difference when riding with a fully streched RVM and a fully folded RVM (I'll post pics soon)

I have not faced any issue with the bike so far. I'll post a report after 2000 kms coz i feel its not fair to judge a vehicle either good or bad when its under Engine Run-in period.

But im sure about one thing, Fazer can surely cross 130 KMPH and i have no doubt in it.

Cheers!!
Senthil

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2010 at 21:54. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats On getting the Fazer

A few points-

- under what riding conditions are you getting this mileage?
- What Makes you say that it will do over 130 kmph (True or speedo?)
- I would suggest to get used to using RVMs as they are very helpful

Keep us posted on your ownership experience
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats On getting the Fazer

A few points-

- under what riding conditions are you getting this mileage?
- What Makes you say that it will do over 130 kmph (True or speedo?)
- I would suggest to get used to using RVMs as they are very helpful

Keep us posted on your ownership experience
1. Im maintaining the Revs between 4000-4500 and varying the speed between 45 to 50 in city. I check the tyre pressure once in 2 days and i couldnt figure out why the rear tyre pressures gets lower to 32 though i top it up to 35 once in 2 days and i do 40 kms per day.
2. My heart never allowed me to rev the engine harder but once while overtaking an unusually long truck i was forced to rev it harder and after passing the truck i realised that i have taken the bike upto 87 KMPH in 3rd gear itself. To be honest i was feeling very very bad when i realised this and gave the bike rest for 5 minutes With this im assuming with 2 more gears left i could touch 130 KMPH and the Wind tunnel tested fairing could aid me on this. It is only the speedo and if we assume 4 to 5 % error on it i think 124 could be the true speed achievable. Sorry if im wrong.
3. I really dont like to drive without RVMs but at the signals people are just hitting my RVMs and please sir...i just could not tolerate this! but anyway i'll continue using the RVMs from today as safety is our first priority!

Cheers!!
Old 19th July 2010, 02:06   #34

Hi,
Please give us an update about your ownership experience with the Yamaha FAZER - ride quality, quality of service, mileage, performance, etc.
I am seriously considering the FAZER for purchase.
Thanks in advance
Philip
Old 19th July 2010, 22:47   #35
BHPian

I have recorded my ownership experience with fazer in my blog. I would recommend Fazer over any other bike except R15 currently in Indian market. My recommendation is not based on reading other forums but after owning it for 10 months and covered 12000 kms that includes lot of long road trips.

Yamaha Fazer Touring

Most Viewed