Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2009, 03:42   #1
BHPian

Spongy Brakes on Honda Dio

The brakes on my Honda Dio feel spongy. I got them tightened and also the brake pads were changed, but the problem recurred soon after (i.e. within a few days). In brief, I am not happy with brakes.

Is there any way to improve the braking action of Dio?
Also, has any one tried something different than the routine brake cable tightening, brake pad cleaning and changes?
Old 27th September 2009, 07:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you get air bleeding done? Spongy is symptomatic of this. And air in barake circuit is dangerous. It should be done by competent mechanic and not in a hurry. The circuit should be bled several times to take out all air.
Old 27th September 2009, 09:33   #3
BHPian

Faced the same problem with my KiHo Marvel (now stolen...sob!). Had to replace the brake drum + shoe as a set to get it fixed. Apparantly, the brake drum had developed a groove which was preventing full contact.

Edit: @sudev, I think the dio has a mechanical brake system, not hydraulic. psp62in can confirm this

Last edited by vipul_singh : 27th September 2009 at 09:45.
Old 27th September 2009, 13:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Did you get air bleeding done? Spongy is symptomatic of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Edit: @sudev, I think the dio has a mechanical brake system, not hydraulic. psp62in can confirm this
You are right Vipul, Dio has a mechanical brake system (so do the most other scooters and bikes AFAIK).
Old 27th September 2009, 17:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP: My bad....early morning improper reading.
Old 27th September 2009, 22:01   #6
BHPian

Facing similar problem on my friend's Dio as well. This was after getting both the front/rear brake pads replaced, not so long ago.

Subscribing to thread..
Old 27th September 2009, 22:08   #7

The Dio has Brilliant Brakes normally. I suggest you just routinely tighten your brakes. At leas that is what I do
Old 27th September 2009, 23:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is a normal thing.

1) Open the drum, take out the brake pads and see if there is life in them or not.

2) There will be some black powder on the surface of brake pad and drum, clean it.

3) After monsoon, water must have entered into drum and this is problem with scooters. Their wheels are small so even in very little water, chances are that water enters the drum. Clean surface of brake pad with sand paper. But do this only if the brake pads have life in them.

4) If still the braking performance does not improve, replace the pads, but do clean the drum.

5) The life of drum is more than 70K kms. Yes, I know it very much depends upon usage, but in general the drum will not get so much ineffective very soon.

I have worked upon my Bajaj spirit, friend's and cousins Activa and Dio respectively. I still change brake pads for my sister's Kristal.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
This is a normal thing.
Open the drum, take out the brake pads and see if there is life in them or not.
Hi aaggoswami,
What is the normal life of the brake pads? Because in last 6 months I have changed them twice already and still no big improvement. And got the cleaning done almost every month. This looks kind of too frequent (and not normal) for me for ~1500km done in 6 months.

Could this be something else, e.g. spares quality issue or any thing other?

I am still struggling!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th September 2009 at 11:24. Reason: fixed quote

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks