Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 13:51   #16
BHPian

My pick goes for the RTR160 or the 180. The happen to be the best engineered bikes in that segment in the country today. Handles well, cheap spares, easy to maintain and above all easy to buy. I like the looks of the RTR160 and 180 and I am seriously planning on buying one. I would recommend the RTR180 than anything from Bajaj.
Old 8th October 2009, 13:54   #17
BHPian

I have owned pulsar 180 since 2003 february and have not faced any major issues.This was my first vehicle and learnt riding on this bike and have taken it past the limits.P220 is the best powerful V.F.M bike i can see in the market today.From my Pulsar 180 experience i would recommend it for your son.I was more of a biker than a car person untill recently.Encourage him to learn to use Front brakes well.I am saying this because 100cc bike which he owned may not have had a good front brake.But in pulsar you cannot survive without front brakes.I personally use the power of front brakes along with engine braking and it is the safest way to ride a Bike once it is mastered.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 8th October 2009 at 13:56.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:12   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishya View Post
Basic ride comfort, vehicle stability, good quality with availability of spares and service is a necessity.
= Shishya =
Pls go either for Yamaha OR Honda bikes.

Excellent ride comfort, quality and stability is something which I can vouch for Unicorn. Its more kind of sedate when coming to acceleration.

Bajaj or TVS bikes will give you better acceleration but not good in terms of comfort or stability.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basic ride comfort, vehicle stability, good quality with availability of spares and service is a necessity.
= Shishya =
If below 150 CC, go for Honda Unicorn or yamaha FZ varients.
If above 150 CC, go for Karizma-R.

You can't go wrong with these choices.

Do let us know which bike your son picked up.
Old 8th October 2009, 16:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with Technocrat - P220 is a good choice. It will take some time for your son to get used to bigger size - but it will be a rewarding ride. It is definitely VFM - on all the points you have mentioned above.

Have you seen the new YAMAHA FAZER - it is within your budget, almost close to the models which they sell abroad and is the latest entrant. Yamaha has opened several showrooms in Pune (Tilak Road, Kothrud, Satara Road etc.) and their company showroom in Wakdewadi caters to all the high end bikes.

Apache RTR 160/180 are good bikes - however IMHO the TVS bikes age much faster than others.

All the best!
Old 8th October 2009, 17:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
I agree with Technocrat - P220 is a good choice. It will take some time for your son to get used to bigger size - but it will be a rewarding ride. It is definitely VFM - on all the points you have mentioned above.

Have you seen the new YAMAHA FAZER - it is within your budget, almost close to the models which they sell abroad and is the latest entrant. Yamaha has opened several showrooms in Pune (Tilak Road, Kothrud, Satara Road etc.) and their company showroom in Wakdewadi caters to all the high end bikes.

Apache RTR 160/180 are good bikes - however IMHO the TVS bikes age much faster than others.

All the best!
+1 to that. I just bought the new Pulsar 220 and I compared it with all the available bikes and at that price, it really is VFM. Yamaha's Fazer and FZ series bikes cost near the price of the 220 (a few thousand's less) but then why go in for a 150cc engine when you get a 220 cc engine with other goodies for a little extra thousand bucks... Thats one of the reasons, the 220 has a long waiting period (20-25 days) at the moment...

That was my selection criteria for the bike
Old 8th October 2009, 18:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

I own a Honda Unicorn & I can say that it is the best amongst the 150 cc segment ,even though it is 5 yrs old, the engine, mechanicals & frame design has remained the same except some cosmetic changes. This shows the inheritent strength and quality of its design.

Products with frequent design changes are not stable nor you can guarantee its longevity beware of the TVS they will come up with number of changes which they call it as constantly evolving product.

Unicorn is a highly stable & comfortable bike to ride. The engine & transmission is butter smooth. I am getting a consistent FE of 55 kmpl in 100% city conditions.
And it virtually requires no extra maintenance at all except the routine.

Only problem is the quality of service support, any ways if driven properly it won’t need much.

Look no further fly unicorn.
Old 8th October 2009, 18:29   #23
BHPian

Please let us know if you need more details on a specific bike.[/quote]

Technocrat can i get the details about Apache RTR 180?
Old 8th October 2009, 18:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

What details are you looking for?

We have ownership thread on a RTR 180 by Sammyboy in this section.
Old 8th October 2009, 19:38   #25

Hi,
Im in the same boat as u . Even Im planning to get something under 85k. With me its RTR 180 vs ZMA vs P220. Requirements almost similar to urs .
What i have found with some reading stuff around this forum is .
All three bikes are definately good. Although the RTR 180 is in the lower segment than the other two , but its the power which puts all these three bikes on the same stage.

I personally absolutely love the looks of the RTR in both white n black . Also the instrument cluster in white with added goodies like 0-60 timer and not to forget the rear disc are like icing on the cake .

Now ZMA , i can say that it the best of the lot. Very reliable engine. Awesome power . And most important of all that its "proved product" . There's no way ur gonna regret after choosing this. However confusion arises when at round abt same price u get an P220. i.e 21bhp compared to karizma's 17bhp.

P220 - I doubt many people like the looks of this bike (I dont). Significantly more powerful than the above two. Its the price that makes this machine even more tempting.

I did not consider the fz series due to price.Its a bit high for the looks an that rear tyre. .I dont think i'll be happy with it payin 75k for 150cc underpowered bike. Agreed that its a Yamaha and its got looks,presence. But whenever u'll see a P220 or ZMA by ur side ur gonna miss that power just for a few 5-6k's, even though they were in ur budget .

I think u shoud let ur son test drive these bikes, and then buy wat he loves the most
Old 8th October 2009, 20:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penno View Post

I think u shoud let ur son test drive these bikes, and then buy wat he loves the most
Exactly. Here people will complement their buying decision and praise the bike they own. But you are your own judge. Let your son test ride the bikes in this segment/price range and ask him which one he finds the best from the lot. After all he's the one who is going to ride it

Last edited by MurtazaGhiya : 8th October 2009 at 20:17.
Old 8th October 2009, 21:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I own a Honda Unicorn & I can say that it is the best amongst the 150 cc segment ,even though it is 5 yrs old, the engine, mechanicals & frame design has remained the same except some cosmetic changes. This shows the inheritent strength and quality of its design.

Products with frequent design changes are not stable nor you can guarantee its longevity beware of the TVS they will come up with number of changes which they call it as constantly evolving product.

Unicorn is a highly stable & comfortable bike to ride. The engine & transmission is butter smooth. I am getting a consistent FE of 55 kmpl in 100% city conditions.
And it virtually requires no extra maintenance at all except the routine.

Only problem is the quality of service support, any ways if driven properly it won’t need much.

Look no further fly unicorn.
I second that with conviction. I own a Unicorn too and I have had no qualms what so ever. Go ahead and buy it. You will not regret your decision.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

before a handlebar, pls get him a TBHP handle

and then we would like to see what he values most. Seating posture, fuel efficiency, faster pick up, exhaust note....etc.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:39   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
Let your son test ride the bikes in this segment/price range and ask him which one he finds the best from the lot. After all he's the one who is going to ride it
Thanks to all of you who were so kind to express their experiences / opinions. This thread has given us a more clear view. I think now I should move to PHASE-2 and let my son test ride some of the bikes and make up his mind refering to Penno and MurtazaGhiya.

= Shishya =
Old 9th October 2009, 11:30   #30

[Moderators this may be appended into my post # 29 as at present I cant do it]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
before a handlebar, pls get him a TBHP handle
and then we would like to see what he values most. Seating posture, fuel efficiency, faster pick up, exhaust note....etc.
vivekiny2k your post appeared after my post which was waiting approval. Thank to you too. Your statement "with great power, comes great responsibility. Bigger the car, longer the cleaning time." would be applicable to motorcycles too ! Thanks for also suggesting that he gets his own TBH-handle.

= Shishya =

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks