Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 12:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Products with frequent design changes are not stable nor you can guarantee its longevity beware of the TVS they will come up with number of changes which they call it as constantly evolving product.
That's what I call a sweeping statement - and something which I do not subscribe to. If any manufacturer learns from his mistakes and makes improvement, it is something to be welcomed. Yes - some people who purchased the initial product are receiving the short end of the stick - but if you take into account the bigger picture - everybody benefits.

BTW, I agree with M_G, but one test drive alone may not indicate the correct picture. Forums like this as well as feed back from friends (owners) and visit to couple of dealers (to observe how existing customers are treated) enables a broader view
Old 9th October 2009, 12:30   #32
BHPian

Go for Honda Unicorn or Yamaha Fazer for their quality. They are really reliable. For your son, I would really recommend the new Yamaha Fazer. Unicorn is also a nice bike, but the styling could have been better.

Like others said, Fazer stands out of the crowd compared to pulsars, apaches or other old models. It looks stunning. Price is comparitively high, but its not a bad choice if you are considering the bike for the long run. I have not heard many negative opinions about Yamaha service. Overall it looks to be a good deal.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post

Apache RTR 160/180 are good bikes - however IMHO the TVS bikes age much faster than others.

All the best!
Why do you think TVS Bikes age faster.Any experience of owning any TVS bikes.?I have Victor GLX which has crossed 50,000 Km /4years.Not a single problem ,my bike starts on first kick without chock,except regular service no major problem.the gear shift is as slick as when it was new.TVS is a very good company with great R&D and best Engineered bikes.Its only problem is brand name.But still they are really doing great on their own,everything indigenous efforts.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Nothing against TVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Why do you think TVS Bikes age faster.Any experience of owning any TVS bikes.?
We (my room-mate in Pondicherry & I) were one of the first clients in 1987 to buy a Supra (before it became Power-up) - he had it with him for five years (before it got stolen). I had a KB100 - the difference between the two was pretty obvious. I still had it (for 16 years to be exact for over 100,000 kms - only a rebore done and sprockets changed, chain was not!)- when he upgraded to Fiero (one of the first 150cc bikes with electric start in 1998) and I was still driving KB 100 when the Fiero was replaced by the Apache 150 about four years ago (he is a die-hard TVS fan!) - the Fiero did not quite live up to the expected standards. Apache has satisfied him, but you know what - there are better bikes in the market now!

In between I have plenty of friends owning AX100 (after 15 years, got an extension of 5 years from RTO!), Samurai, Victor, Centra, City et all..... but the panels get loose.... the fuel tank gets corroded (AX100, Samurai & Victor).... the rattles and vibrations are much more compared to Yamaha / Bajaj .....

I don't have anything against TVS - their two bikes are really great (1) Shogun (2) Fiero FX. The former could not never conquer RX100 - the latter got eclipsed by CBZ
Old 9th October 2009, 17:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

GS150 is good. In Pune, I get 50+ mileage for riding 2 up. Weekend trip in abundance! The bike is built good and solid. FZ's fiber body put me off big time. I was waiting for it for many months, and when I saw it, all liking was gone. Where in case of GS, it was love at first sight, and growing day by day.

The price difference, ~64k for GS vs ~80k for Fazer, almost 15-16k is too huge to ignore. Fazer is sure a head turner, but it's low mileage (around 35-40kmpl) and huge premium is too big a point to ignore.
Old 11th October 2009, 10:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
We (my room-mate in Pondicherry & I) were one of the first clients in 1987 to buy a Supra (before it became Power-up) - he had it with him for five years (before it got stolen). I had a KB100 - the difference between the two was pretty obvious. I still had it (for 16 years to be exact for over 100,000 kms - only a rebore done and sprockets changed, chain was not!)- when he upgraded to Fiero (one of the first 150cc bikes with electric start in 1998) and I was still driving KB 100 when the Fiero was replaced by the Apache 150 about four years ago (he is a die-hard TVS fan!) - the Fiero did not quite live up to the expected standards. Apache has satisfied him, but you know what - there are better bikes in the market now!

In between I have plenty of friends owning AX100 (after 15 years, got an extension of 5 years from RTO!), Samurai, Victor, Centra, City et all..... but the panels get loose.... the fuel tank gets corroded (AX100, Samurai & Victor).... the rattles and vibrations are much more compared to Yamaha / Bajaj .....

I don't have anything against TVS - their two bikes are really great (1) Shogun (2) Fiero FX. The former could not never conquer RX100 - the latter got eclipsed by CBZ
Even i had my shogun with me for 7 years and close to 96,000 Kms with no problems except regular service and i changed the bore and piston something around 60,000 km that also due to local mechanics fault ,he forgot to connect the oil cable to carb(and i don't want to re bore it).Even one of my brother has fiero old one since 2001 the bike is still mint as good as new,Also one friend having F2 70,000 km +.See its up to us how much you want to keep the bike if someone is changing the bike after four years that doesn't mean the bike is aging.And if you maintained it very well any bike will last long.
The only thing i was recommending TVS for their better handling ,better breaking also their electrical are very good,and fuel efficiency with the kind of performance,
Rattles i agree my shogun used to rattle from rear with tail piece used to get loose,but tvs is not producing Shogun/Samurai AX 100 any more and new bikes are of different designs.My GLX is almost 5 years old no rattles.No problem with tank also.
All modern bikes are very good and very reliable it up to us what we want from bike.
Old 11th October 2009, 14:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend the following:

Karizma R (A refined, reliable tourer. Please note that the spares are expensive, but of good quality).
Pulsar 220 (Great value for money considering the engine and features. But not as reliable and durable as Karizma).

I have a 2000 model Suzuki Fiero. It requires only the routine maintenance and runs without any issues.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 11th October 2009 at 14:40.
Old 14th October 2009, 21:28   #38

Friends, my son has made a finaly decision and has booked for Hero Honda Karizma R. It being Diwali season and requested for BLACK colour. Will let you all know when he gets it home. It may take some time. Thanks a lot to all of you for the guidance and experiences shared. The thread in the TBHP was important for us.
= Shishya =
Old 19th October 2009, 18:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Would be good to get your son involved in this thread. Youngsters have their own choices and do not like dads choosing their bikes.
Old 24th October 2009, 00:06   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Would be good to get your son involved in this thread. Youngsters have their own choices and do not like dads choosing their bikes.
Noted Mpower. But the information collection was for my son, who has seen the whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishya View Post
Friends, my son has made a finaly decision and has booked for Hero Honda Karizma R. It being Diwali season and requested for BLACK colour. Will let you all know when he gets it home. It may take some time. Thanks a lot to all of you for the guidance and experiences shared. The thread in the TBHP was important for us.
= Shishya =
Hero Honda dealer informed that the said bike would not be available till 1st November 2009. Hence my son got his advance back and booked HONDA R15. He got his bike today 23-Oct-2009. Attached a preliminary photo of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Best 150 - 200 cc Motorcycle for my son? EDIT - Bought Yamaha R15-img_0089_b.jpg  

Old 24th October 2009, 10:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hence my son got his advance back and booked HONDA R15. He got his bike today 23-Oct-2009. Attached a preliminary photo of the same.
That's a very good bike and a splendid decision! I am sure he will enjoy his biking - a lucky son indeed! Not to forget, a wonderful dad, too!!
Old 24th October 2009, 10:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Hero Honda dealer informed that the said bike would not be available till 1st November 2009. Hence my son got his advance back and booked HONDA R15. He got his bike today 23-Oct-2009. Attached a preliminary photo of the same.

Congrats for the bike,looks real race breed in this color.
and small correction Its Yamaha R15..
or is is a Honda R15 after the amazing CBR Stunner 125 .

Last edited by parimal_g : 24th October 2009 at 11:00.
parimal_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2009, 11:33   #43
BHPian

Dad No 1 !!

You bought your son a R15!!!!

you make the faternity proud
Old 24th October 2009, 12:17   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Congrats for the bike, looks real race breed in this color.
and small correction Its Yamaha R15..
Thanks for correcting me. In the (even the dad's) excitement I wrote wrongly. My son immediately pointed it out when he saw the post. But I had already logged out as it was very late at night.

Moderators thanks for the first correction in the subject as after that we started getting more response. And also final update of the subject. We once again thank all those who extended their views and guidance for my son to make the selection. Incidently Yamaha did give him a test-drive before he chose the bike.

= Shishya =
Old 23rd January 2011, 17:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best 150 - 200 cc Motorcycle for my son? EDIT - Bought Yamaha R15

My son brought a brand new Yamaha FZ 16 a year back, now after one year passed and last so called SERVICE done by FACTORY SHOP at Malad,only last month with engine oil and oil filter changed and paid 250/- for oil and some amount for filter.almost 7 services were done and oil changed at every one and I was charged for @250/- and cost of oil filter.

Drove the bike for about 600 kms and today just got the bike washed at a petrol pump and out of curocity Got the engine oil checked at a local mechanic , to my surprise oil was as black as that of a diesel engine and thick like gear oil.

The mechanic told me that oil seems not changed at all since first fill by the compony.Spark plug was dirty seems not cleaned for ages, battery was tottally dry without any electrolyte,chain was loose and full of dirt,(they charged me for chain lubricant).

And adding fuel to the fire there is no one responcible at the work shop to speak to , it has all illiterete shop floor guys speaking typical roadside bambaiya language AILA HAI, GAELA HAI, KHALAS HO GYA HAI,These guys are very particular in oppurtunity to fleece the customers .

Once I missed my free service by 4 days that joker at the service told me to pay for the service or I will lose my warranty.

There are many issues with this workshop on BAD TOWORSE workmanship and fleecing the customers and we end up talking to the wall, can any of our Team Bhpian will help me in getting Email of top authority in the compony so that my problems go to the right person instead of any tom dick and harry. else I approach CUSUMER COURT. which is very tiring and long. Regards.......

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 23rd January 2011 at 17:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks