Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 05:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I'm pretty sure that you know this but I just wanted to make sure that you keep this in mind. Don't ride the LB500 at 30-40 in top gear man. The LB500 will thump along but you will be lugging the engine. 60-70 is a safe speed for the fifth gear.

Cheers,

Jay
That was my initial impression, and I was a little upset about it, because one of the charms of the RE is low rpm cruising in the city in top gear, sounding totally relaxed. 2 years on, with the bike fully run in, I now find that she is quite comfortable at 45-50 in 5th on a flat road. Not the 30-40 that the CI engine can do, but still a lot better than when new.
@Navpreet, I agree with you on reliability v mechanical mods, and in 2 years I have done nothing to the bike by way of mods. It is so reliable, that now I am really not in the mood to disturb that. Only glitches have been electrical shorts inside the headlight nacelle, the wiring is a birds nest that RE should be ashamed of.
Occassionally I mull over putting in just a short bottle silencer to tighten up the looks, and to round off the sound, but I keep putting that off. But one of these days....!!!

Last edited by Sawyer : 17th October 2009 at 05:54.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hey Navpreet, how about some more snaps man, especially from your ride to mussoorie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Awesomeness. I'll hit home tonight.

Definitely want a ride on your two wheelers dude!

@Shan
A get-together is surely in order.

@Sammyboy

Any chance you'll be in Doon anytime soon or is that hoping for too much?
I wish man, couldnt make home this diwali. I might come over during year end but not sure yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Sure guys !! Anytime anywhere , I would love to meet all the doonites.

Sammyboy : I am from Rajpur ( Old Mussorie Road Area ).
cool, used to hang around that side a lot after bunking school (SH).

Last edited by sammyboy : 17th October 2009 at 10:06.
Old 11th December 2009, 15:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Someone Stole my rear wheel!!!

And swapped it with this-
Attached Thumbnails
She's here...The LB500-img_2036.jpg  

She's here...The LB500-img_2029.jpg  

She's here...The LB500-img_2030.jpg  

She's here...The LB500-img_2031.jpg  

She's here...The LB500-img_2032.jpg  

She's here...The LB500-img_2033.jpg  

She's here...The LB500-img_2034.jpg  

She's here...The LB500-img_2035.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2009, 22:22   #49
BHPian

@Navpreet318 I presume that is an 18" wheel. What difference does it make on the road? Why only the rear-wheel, and not also the front? I am curious, as I am thinking of putting 18" wheels on my TBTS.
Old 11th December 2009, 22:36   #50
BHPian

man, your LB is looking amazingly good ! awesome work with the rear hub ! love the overall chrome effect on your bike !
Old 12th December 2009, 13:26   #51
BHPian

Yep. that has to be 18's. im assuming thts a Pirelli sport demon 110/90.
Old 12th December 2009, 17:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nope thats the pirelli sport demon 130/70. the bike is so bulky it makes the 130 tire look like 110.hehe.
Old 12th December 2009, 17:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nice ones!

How much did you get them for?

PS:Is the forum looking funny for you too?
Old 12th December 2009, 19:21   #54
BHPian

yes, there is a problem with either v-bulletin or the image server !
Old 13th December 2009, 01:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Awesome man
Guys, will be in doon after the 20th of Dec. Lets catch up.
Old 13th December 2009, 19:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

Did an Early morning Breakfast ride to Laal Tibba along with a bulleteer friend today.It was super fun having Pancakes and omelettes early in the morning in super cold conditions.

About the bike.Well you might have read earlier that i loved the bulltt's handling last time i went too.But this time it surpassed it yet again.All the more flickable and all the more leanable.I think it ows to the 18" 130 section pirelli.

A small review-

I think the air is a bit too high for me filled up in it.Or maybe because the tire was kept with me for a few years that its turned a bit hard.the ride was slightly jarring.

the tire handles curves beautifully.leaned into it amazingly today and the bike overall was very stable.
This can also be attributed to the way the swingarm has been re-enforced by a triangular 8mm think plate welded below the area of widening.It helps control the flexing of the swingarm in hard fast curves.
Last time i distinctively remember the bike rear twitching on the same curves.

Overall i can say that the 18" wheels will be great for corner carving.

But yes i do feel that the 19" actually are better for touring and a more comfort oriented ride.Its an unexplainable phenomenon but one does feel it when shifting.
Ah it might be just my mind playing games.lol.

So there it was.Great ride today.and Awesome Pancakes.
Old 13th December 2009, 22:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That was my initial impression, and I was a little upset about it, because one of the charms of the RE is low rpm cruising in the city in top gear, sounding totally relaxed. 2 years on, with the bike fully run in, I now find that she is quite comfortable at 45-50 in 5th on a flat road. Not the 30-40 that the CI engine can do, but still a lot better than when new.
Based on my short ownership experience, I was inclined to think the bike's inability to cruise between 55 an 60 was a individual trait of my bike all this time, but now that I know that it is common to all LB500s, I am totally flabbergasted. From 55 it wont pull away cleanly in 5th, it WILL but with a good bit of protest. So I am learning to shift up at over 70 to 5th and at the same time learning to shift down to 4th at the slightest hint of deceleration. For old schoolers like myself, this is a hard earned lesson.

So far, there is only mode where I find the bike fun - over 70 on back roads. It is relaxed between an indicated 90-100, but above 100 it isnt so relaxed. It is fun blasting through relatively easy flowing traffic, but knowing something is bound to give takes away half the thrill.

I have a question for those who upjetted the pilot(i will be doing so myself in a few weeks), does the bike's ability to cruise improve?
Old 4th January 2010, 12:31   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
So there it was.Great ride today.and Awesome Pancakes.
@Navpreet - Down here we call them "dosa", aptly so. Great feedback regarding the 18" tire mod and I am interested. I am a self-confessed sucker for fast sweepers. I have a few questions.

1. It sounds like the swingarm has been reinforced/modded, can you confirm this? If Yes, please post a pic.

2.Where did you source the rim and shorter length spokes from? Has the old hub been retained or did you change the whole thing?

3. Now that you are running a smaller wheel, the overall gear ratio would be shorter, can you tell me subjectively how much of a difference this has made to the top-end?

4. Some folks advocate a slightly smaller front chain sprocket to improve in-city rideability, going to a smaller wheel would have this same effect. Not everyone is a fan of the 19T front sprocket evidently. Please can I have your impressions of the bike in traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks