Team-BHP - My Honda Aviator - 2200km report
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   My Honda Aviator - 2200km report (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/66942-my-honda-aviator-2200km-report.html)

We had bought the Honda Aviator in September last year. It’s been 1 year now and I have driven 2200kms. The scooter is mostly used in Bandra only as I reside there. Daily usage is 10-15kms. It’s mostly used for groceries and going to college which is also in Bandra (5 km from my place).
So now that my Aviator has completed 2200km on the odo and I know it’s pros and cons very well, here’s a small review.

Daily usage: 15kms
F.E: 36-40kpl
Top Speed: 95kph (YES! I once reached that speed)
0-60kph (without pillion): 11.9sec (tested at Bandra recl. straight)

Pros:
Great looks- During early days, when people didn’t know much about the Honda Aviator, I used to be asked by many people about which scooter it is and if it has been launched here! That is no surprise since Honda didn’t bother advertising it as much as the Activa. But everywhere I used to go, the scooter turned a lot of heads! The tall front end looks distinctive.
Great performance: Undoubtedly one of the best performing 100cc scooters in India! Riding a scooter has never been so much fun!
Great Handling: Aviator is one of the best handling scooters in the market. Very stable at turns. It’s a joy to ride one of these. With the 12” alloy wheels on the Deluxe version, it’s even better.
Comfortable ride: The seats are really comfortable and have a high seating position. It’s not ideal for short people. The ride is very smooth too.
Stable at high speeds: The Aviator is very stable at high speeds. I have driven at 95kph max and it was unbelievably stable!
Excellent braking: Though my Aviator has the drum brakes (discs are optional), the braking is really good. I wonder if it had discs, wouldn’t the scooter topple over!
Good Storage space under the seat: It’s more than most scooters here. Although there’s no front glove box(not even as an accessory!)

Cons:
Starting problem: Every morning, the choke has to be pulled in order to start the scooter at once. Even if it is idle for 6hrs or so, it doesn’t start at once. After my final service, I told the Honda mechanic to tune the engine for better ignition and performance. But this has resulted in lower F.E.
Plastic quality needs to improve: Once my scooter fell off the stand, and the front headlight panel got cracked! The front panel now rattles a bit while accelerating.
Mediocre F.E: While Honda claims a 45kpl efficiency, my Aviator returns just about 36-40.

Now, time for some pics:)

Striking front and rear!
My Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04193.jpg
My Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04200.jpg
My Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04197.jpg
Team-BHP stickers! Got 'em just last week.
My Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04176.jpgMy Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04164.jpg
got BHP? mine has 7bhp:uncontrol
My Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04199.jpg
The retractable foot steps on both the sides are really helpful for the pillion rider.
My Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04195.jpg
Blue back-light for speedo looks good.
My Honda Aviator - 2200km report-dsc04159.jpg

Nice, crisp review. Good pics too.

Any idea when Honda is getting the new 110cc engine for Aviator? That would make Aviator an awesome machine !

You have summarised Pros very well. clap:

I have also purchsed Aviator for my wife, her height is 5' 5" and Aviator is bit tall for her but she want something different from Activa and very relaible so went for it. Our scooter has completed 3000 Km and 3rd Service done.

Mine is also Rebel Red and the issues you described is the same with many other owners i talked during services.
Issue 1: Low Average: its giving me 39-42. Taken this issue with service advisor, first he said the average cannot be low, then i showed my average calculation sheet. Then his reply was "Gaadi kam chali hue hai, engine khulne mein time lagega, 4th service ke baad average bad jayega" (Vehicle is less driven, it will take time for engine to open up, it will improve after 4th service).
Issue 2: Morning Start problem: Reply is the same as above.
Issue 3: Brakes: Front brakes are damn good but rear ones are not so good, they take there sweet time to stop the vehicle. SA Reply "We just tight the brakes in free service, it will 100 Rs for break drum cleanup and inspection". I will do it outside at bike point near my place.

After Oil Change & Washup (They only do these 2 things in free service and ignore other check points) the Kick is bit light and start in 3-4 kicks with choke.

RagingBull@ Did you vehicle also skid/slip when it goes from dry surface to wet surface? How much is 4th service bill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabahmad (Post 1521485)
RagingBull@ Did you vehicle also skid/slip when it goes from dry surface to wet surface? How much is 4th service bill.

yep, the scooter does slip on wet surface sometimes, especially during braking. And the 4th service was totally free. They had changed the oil and tuned the scooter for better ignition as i had told them. This was done at 1400km. Now i have to go for the 5th service (which is not free). There are issues like rattling of front panel and low F.E.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2_4_u (Post 1521303)
Nice, crisp review. Good pics too.

Any idea when Honda is getting the new 110cc engine for Aviator? That would make Aviator an awesome machine !

Aviator already has a 102cc engine. I don't think just 8cc will boost the performance! Although, 150cc would be lots of fun :)

2200 KMs in one year ! Thats pretty less mileage clocked in one year. But I still managed to beat you. I have a 2005 Unicorn and have clocked 5700 KMs till date:D

Nice choice of colour too !

Quote:

Originally Posted by theragingbull (Post 1521882)

Aviator already has a 102cc engine. I don't think just 8cc will boost the performance! Although, 150cc would be lots of fun :)

But it will definitely improve the FE. The new Activa with the new 110cc engine gives a consistent FE of 45-47.

The new aviator 110cc is going to be launched tomm.

enjoy!.

Kamal.
http://burnyourfuel.com

!! Those are very nice pictures !! I thank every contributor on the TBHP Forum on the Aviator. The absolute facts, pros & cons helped me buy an Aviator. I have got the Pearl Black set of wheels for me. I shall be posting the pictures very soon.

I've completed 320 KMS so far and agree with theragingbull on the Pros.

The dealer I got the scoot from advised me to engage the choke and do a kick start in the morning. So far its helped ! Didn't face a self start problem later in the day.

I'm planning to take it for a ride as soon as I get leaves..atleast over 500 KMS..on a long run just for testing it out. The front shock ups are a real stunner. It makes the ride very smooth.[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vista (Post 1593721)
!! The dealer I got the scoot from advised me to engage the choke and do a kick start in the morning. So far its helped ! Didn't face a self start problem later in the day.

Is this true with new Aviator also. I am planning to buy one for my father..

this is only bad issue i found so far other than low FE

Hi Niv26

You are right. It is very true of the Aviator. The new Aviator has come with a combi braking system & fresh new colors.

Other than the cold start + low FE it is a very good set of wheels with a better road presence than other scoots around. If your Father is above 5.6 ft above in height you can definately choose an Aviator.

The new Aviator has a 110 CC engine so you may expect a little better FE.

I have been riding Aviator for the past two months and never experienced the trouble start in the morning. I have tuned it myself (with the help of local mechanic) in the last service. The most probable culprit for the cold start problem is less idle rpm. Most of the mechanics set the idle rpm at 1200 just like a bike. But scooters need higher rpm and the ideal rpm is 1700 + or - 200. If you set like this, you will not have cold start problem.

With sane riding between 40-45 kmph, with 40% city and 60% highway riding, I have achieved an FE between 53-59 kmpl. I am sure in city, it would give around 46-50 kmpl.

The new 110 cc has better torque now and it is true that it gives 15% more mileage than the 102 cc engine. A city FE of 52-54 kmpl is (with sane riding) is possible with the new engine.

The 102 cc engine goes from 0-60 in 12.5 sec and the new 110 cc engine goes from 0-60 in 10.5 sec

I am riding the Disc version and the braking is awesome. The headlight beam is very good and better than many bikes. Build quality is top notch.

My rating for this scooter 9/10.

I have been riding a disc version with alloy wheels for past one year, IMO this is the best scooter available in the market the brakes are awesome, there is no rattling, the engine is pepey, it does not strain when riden by two persons it easily strides on overbridges, maileage is around 35 - 40 & the main highlight is the front telescopic shocks it does marvels to the engine As others mentioned here there is a self starting problem if i donot take it for more than two days, I Love my Honda AVIATER & i would recommend it to anybody for both sex, all ages, at any time bye.