Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 23:18   #1
BHPian

Road Veda...motorbike touring and bike rentals

Folks,

In the process of finding places to hire Enfield Bullets, I bumped upon this interesting group who organizes motorbike road trips and also offers Enfield Bullets for rent, in Bangalore.

We have planed to hire their bullets next month for a short road trip to Bandipur.

This is what they have got to say

-- What does Road Veda do?

>> We organise bike trips of various lengths and eclecticism. Trips are open to all – bikers, Bulleteers, pillions and support car play-it-safers. We’d love to build a custom-made trip for you and we can also organise Bullet rentals on request.

Here is the website for more details.
Welcome to Road Veda

Later..
Siva
Old 16th October 2009, 00:10   #2
BHPian

great concept, but remember, 2-wheeler rental in Karnataka is NOT LEGAL. so you can well imagine getting stuffed in the name of the law by some cops in the event of any even micro incident.

i would at this time be wary, till better days.
Old 16th October 2009, 06:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow , do you know any one who used teh service ?

How about the cost and the service ?
Old 16th October 2009, 08:26   #4
BHPian

@hollywood hogan, Thanks for that info! I never knew that. Any idea about other states which have not legalised bike rentals?

s3va, Good find, any idea how much they charge?
Old 13th January 2010, 09:50   #5
BHPian

Republic Day Charity ride - Charity cause

One more from Roadveda, those interested you may contact thru the details listed in the website-> www.roadveda.com , else you may PM me

As recieved through mail, i have pasted the content below

>>>

Hello people,
Road Veda is starting 2010 with a big charity ride on 24th January to celebrate Republic Day – see yesterday’s front page article in the Deccan Chronicle supplement . We’re riding to Baalemane girls’ orphanage outside Bangalore to take some basic essentials – from spoons to mattresses to vegetables - for the girls. The more bikes the more donations so please join us if you can.
Details attached, but most importantly: please reply to this email telling us which item you’ve selected from the list (www.roadveda.wordpress.com) to register for the ride.
Email ID - venetia at the rate roadveda dot com
>>>

The website www.roadveda.wordpress.com has also brief travelogues from people who have been part of their previous rides
Old 13th January 2010, 16:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think renting a two wheeler is legal in Goa. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers,

Jay
Old 13th January 2010, 21:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I think renting a two wheeler is legal in Goa. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers,

Jay
AFAIK,there are tonnes of rental places in Goa, where you can get scooters or bikes on rent.
I wasn't aware that bike rentals are illegal in Karnataka. How do these guys survive then?
Old 13th January 2010, 22:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
great concept, but remember, 2-wheeler rental in Karnataka is NOT LEGAL. so you can well imagine getting stuffed in the name of the law by some cops in the event of any even micro incident.
what is that so? whats the reason for it?
Old 14th January 2010, 03:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
AFAIK,there are tonnes of rental places in Goa, where you can get scooters or bikes on rent.
I wasn't aware that bike rentals are illegal in Karnataka. How do these guys survive then?

AFAIK, this initiative is not their mainstream business. This is just out of sheer passion for riding that such rides are organized. Of course I am not denying the Vit M reason behind, but the initiators work full time and this not their primary bread and butter stream.
Old 15th January 2010, 13:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what is that so? whats the reason for it?

guess that no organization/department has made a strong enough proposal to the transport department to make bike rentals legal in karnataka. several years back it was the same in goa but i believe that when they realized that tourists could really use bikes to move around goa, the tourism development department along with bike dealers made a proposal and got the approval.

no such need here and i guess no law passed yet. of course there are a few guys who do it in bangalore by paying off the cops and transport department officials i presume.
Old 27th January 2010, 12:57   #11
BHPian

Some update on the ride !

Quote:

Hope you all saw the Indian Express article on the ride – if not the online version is here: http://bit.ly/5cfred
Republic Day tomorrow and only a few days until the big ride on 31st Jan…A few things for you in preparation:

Please book yourself and your friends a place on the ride if you haven’t already done so – this is what you need to do:
Select your donation from the list – www.roadveda.wordpress.com. Select the amount you want to donate - you might choose 2 lightbulbs from the 100 that are required in total, or a year’s supply of educational materials for three 1st-2nd standard girls.*
Send an email to venetia@roadveda.com with details of your donation and how many riders/pillions/bikes – you’ll get a reply confirming your place
Buy the item you’ve selected
Hand over your donation to the Road Veda truck (call Krunal 97399 77379) OR drop it off at the pre-ride meeting on Friday 29th Jan (as below) OR bring it with you on 31st Jan
Remember registration closes at 100 bikes…

Pre-ride Meeting
All riders are invited to drop in on Friday 29th Jan, 7-10pm, at 14 Naina Terraces, 159 Richmond Road - behind Kids Kemp on MG Road. Hand over your donation and pick up your flag. We’ll also brief you on the ride.

Road Veda Playlist www.roadveda.wordpress.com/road-veda-playlist
Capture Crew Productions is making a film of this ride which will feature a few songs from the Road Veda playlist. All riders and the Baale Mane girls will vote on 31st for their favourite songs and the top three will be used in the film. We need your suggestions - what is your riding song? Send them to venetia@roadveda.com

Opus
The ride will end at Opus in the Creek, in Whitefield. We’ve got a special discount rate there for all participants - free-flowing drinks and food and Solder will be performing. Any friends or family who can’t make it for the ride are welcome to join us at Opus.

*For cash donations there are three options:
Cheque to Baale Mane Trust (no tax exemption)
For 80G tax exemption, cheque to Paraspara Trust (the parent organisation)
Cash – bring it on the day and hand it over to Bella from the Baale Mane and you will be given a receipt

Venetia

venetia@roadveda.com
www.roadveda.com | www.roadveda.wordpress.com

Old 27th January 2010, 13:44   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
several years back it was the same in goa but i believe that when they realized that tourists could really use bikes to move around goa, the tourism development department along with bike dealers made a proposal and got the approval.
Not really.

In Goa we have what we call pilots or 2wheeler taxis. This is an unique profession in Goa and the bikes that were used by them were privately registered vehicles like you and me own. But then since it was a commercial activity it needed government regulations as the pilots formed unions and asked the government for motorcycle stands like we have rickshaw and taxi stands. This was around Goa moved from being a Union Territory to a State.

Now one could not register a 2 wheeler as a taxi. So the rule was changed that the taxi guys should now register their 2 wheelers as taxis. So yellow boards now (earlier black on white).

By then the business of renting out 2 wheelers had caught on big time. The same issues with police/RTO etc like would happen with other states.

About 4-5 years back the self ridden 2 wheeler hires were brought under the pilot taxi ambit. So now the bikes available on rent need to be registered as Taxis; i.e. yellow board.

To replicate this scenario in other states would not be possible as 2 wheelers cannot be registered as taxis.

Most Viewed