Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 22:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa Complaints

How come no one is complaining about pathetic suspension ? I dont feel any difference in suspension between dads activa and a bullock cart. To an extent my gypsy is also the same.
Old 30th May 2011, 22:53   #17
BHPian

I guess the quality of Honda vehicles has gone down these (guessing purely based on the comments I am seeing in this thread).

I have a 10 yr old Honda Activa which has done 60K+. I have had absolutely no problem till date except for the belt breakage once.

I did have squeaking noise coming from suspension, but that was rectified during service.

For the past 2 years, it has become a weekend savaari only. Even then it starts on self-start and has absolutely no issues. (Touch-wood )
Old 31st May 2011, 00:23   #18
BHPian

Pathetic suspension may be an understatement. Coming down from TVS victor, I find the control goes for a toss even if there are slight undulations on the road at 30ish kmph. It is back breaking to say the least.

Last edited by fordday : 31st May 2011 at 00:25. Reason: grammar
Old 31st May 2011, 09:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosTHEjackal View Post
Yes, I did face low fuel economy in my Active after this. I had to change some part don't remember which one to get back the fuel economy back to normal. I think clutch valve or some think like that was the culprit. Authorized service centers are useless in this issue. The couldn't fix it for 3 consecutive service. Later I took it to local mechanic he got the issue fixed.
What is the mileage you are getting now? How old is your bike? the clutch was actually recently serviced. They changed some rubber bushings. do you remember what the part you changed looked like? Was it metalic?
When you say oil filter, is there only one oil filter on the Activa? Do you know why an oil filter could result in misfiring? These are only a few of the questions my mechanic asked me
Where do you give your bike for service in Bangalore? Please don't say classic motors, that guy is a cheat! Even though he knows his work, the last time I gave my bike there, he replaced my minda dual horns with some other cheap crap. I couldn't prove it, so I left it at that. I haven't been to his workshop after that.
Old 31st May 2011, 12:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
What is the mileage you are getting now? How old is your bike? the clutch was actually recently serviced. They changed some rubber bushings. do you remember what the part you changed looked like? Was it metalic?
My Activa was giving me 22 to 25 Kmpl when I had faced this issue. After these changes now the mileage is back to 40's. My bike is 7 years old. The part replaced was definetly not rubber. It was metallic, there was some crack which was the cause of more fuel consumption. I had paid Rs.500 just to replace this part.

Quote:
When you say oil filter, is there only one oil filter on the Activa? Do you know why an oil filter could result in misfiring? These are only a few of the questions my mechanic asked me
The reason for misfiring is due to uneven fuel supply from Carburetor / Oil Filter. This happens if you tend to use fuel from petrol pumps which do not have clean fuel. Also some impurities might have got stuck in Carburetor / Oil filer straining oil filter with less number of perforations for filtering oil.

You hear misfiring in the vehicle if you suddenly increase/ decrease the throttle which in turn gets more fuel from carburetor / lessens the fuel intake from carburetor. This sudden variation in fuel intake will cause misfiring.

If the Oil filter is already replaced and your vehicle is continuing misfiring, then ask the service person to clean the carburetor. This also is one of the solution to your problem.

Quote:
Where do you give your bike for service in Bangalore?
I started giving service to Haiku Honda. Was dissatisfied from his service, changed to Silicon Honda. Again lot of unnecessary service changes were levied, hence changed to local mechanic. I just hand-over the vehicle to my uncle who knows the local mechanic in Rajajinagar area and gets the service done every 3K Kms. Frankly I do not know where is this service center in Rajajinagar. I just rely on my uncle.

Quote:
Please don't say classic motors, that guy is a cheat! Even though he knows his work, the last time I gave my bike there, he replaced my minda dual horns with some other cheap crap. I couldn't prove it, so I left it at that. I haven't been to his workshop after that.
Sorry to know about this illegal and unethical practice.

Last edited by carlosTHEjackal : 31st May 2011 at 13:00.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason for misfiring is due to uneven fuel supply from Carburetor / Oil Filter. This happens if you tend to use fuel from petrol pumps which do not have clean fuel. Also some impurities might have got stuck in Carburetor / Oil filer straining oil filter with less number of perforations for filtering oil.
You might want to take a look at the spark plugs too. My wife's bike also used to misfire quite a bit, the culprit was the spark plug.

That said , I have stopped giving our Activa and the Dio to the Honda Authorized service station. Only two services done from Dhruvdesh Honda and pathetic was an understatement. Lack of professionalism, bad quality of service and the lack of commitment from the SA/mech's there has forced me to get both my bikes locally serviced.
The SA's don't even have the patience to listen to what you have to say . No amount of complaining to their customer care helped. Looks like everyone out there are nincompoops who care two hoots about customer complaints.

I chose on a local garage who has been servicing my Yam for the last 12 yrs. Does a clean job and makes sure every single compliant is addressed.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
You might want to take a look at the spark plugs too.
That's what i suspected too. However, this was ruled out as the mechanic tried a plug from another bike and the issue persisted.

I've also avoided the ASC like the plague for the same reasons.

What a pity we don't have good private workshops for our Scorps!

Last edited by triedeverything : 31st May 2011 at 15:57.
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
My Activa was giving me 22 to 25 Kmpl when I had faced this issue. After these changes now the mileage is back to 40's. My bike is 7 years old. The part replaced was definetly not rubber. It was metallic, there was some crack which was the cause of more fuel consumption. I had paid Rs.500 just to replace this part.

I went to the auto accessories shop and asked them for a oil filter for the Activa. The guy looked at me like I'm nuts! Can you specific as to what was actually changed? How is it described? Where is it found/fixed? Would it also be possible to ask you uncle to check with the mechanic on what was the name of the part you changed?
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:18   #24
BHPian

Can someone suggest a good mechanic around the Maratahalli area to get my Honda Activa serviced?
Old 6th June 2011, 14:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I went to the auto accessories shop and asked them for a oil filter for the Activa. The guy looked at me like I'm nuts! Can you specific as to what was actually changed? How is it described? Where is it found/fixed? Would it also be possible to ask you uncle to check with the mechanic on what was the name of the part you changed?
I am sorry for the confusion. I can understand your situation at the shop. . The parts which were changed were Clutch lining for about Rs.500 and another part was Carburetor head to reduce the misfiring. The firing has again cropped up in my bike as well as considerable fuel economy drop. I can't confirm if the above mentioned parts will fix the issue permanently or may be these replacements are for a temporary duration. But these changes helped me for about 1.5 years without any issues.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:15   #26
BHPian

I met the mechanic again. This time, I talked to the 'big' guy. He brushed off the coil as the source of the issue. He also said that some head had to be changed. So it could be the carburetor head. I'll also tell him to check the lining.

He was talking about some grinding/turning work that needs to be done. he says this is a common issue on the Activa. I've given the bike to him today, let's see what he does. I also changed to the Amaron maintenance free battery and changed the spark plug as well - for good measure.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:36   #27

Quote:
I have a 6 yr old Activa and it seems to be misfiring. The mechanic (during the last service) says it is the coil (alternator). Is there any other place in Bangalore I can get the coil checked other than Ruby electricals on Lal Bagh road?
This is either because of unburnt fuel, firing in the exhaust or because of high compression, low octane fuel combination.

Simple solution, is turn the air screw in the carb to let more air, lean mixture of fuel and air. so that there is ample air to burn the fuel in the combustion chamber. and there is no unburnt fuel bursting in the exhaust and back firing.
Old 29th March 2012, 14:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
How come no one is complaining about pathetic suspension ? I dont feel any difference in suspension between dads activa and a bullock cart. To an extent my gypsy is also the same.
lol and i though i was the only one who found it hard. However with the right air presure and a pillion it does get a lot better. About the multiple problems faced, you have just been plain unlucky to have got hold of a lemon, however, simple mechanicals is one of the reasons why the Activa has been such a reliable scoot and as a result fixing it shouldn't be a problem. Once the service centre resolves the issues its better to get the Activa serviced outside, since the authorized centres dont do jack!
Old 29th March 2012, 14:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, Activa's front suspension are pathetic, the bumps are clearly felt in every inch of your body. When Activa started coming out with their ads recently, the first thing I looked out was had they changed the front hydraulic spring suspension to telescopic, but was disappointed.
Old 30th September 2014, 11:39   #30
BHPian

Hello mates,

I intend to get my 2010 Activa which has run circa 8500kms serviced in a day or two. I, to this date haven't received a FE of more than 33kmpl (driven very very sedately @50kmph for 90% of the journey and fillup. Usual mileage lingers around 25!). Moreso, the engine has misfired right from the second year of ownership.

When complained about the low FE at the Om Sai Honda ASC, I was told about certain additives (which magically clean the fuel lines) and those indeed bumped the mileage up by say 2-3kms till I refueled. Now, back to square one!

I've heard from a friend that the Preetam Honda fellas at Andheri East, Mumbai do a neat job. Any other BHP-ian to back this claim? Alternatively, any trusted independent mechanic that I can reach out to in the Jogeshwari(W)/ Goregaon(W)/ Powai or Andheri(W) belt?

P.S. - The Activa is owned by my dad and has been really maintained well with regular servicing every 6-7 months regardless of the clicks on the odo. Also, I'm hard bent to resolve the above highlighted perennial problems this time around and so, any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 30th September 2014 at 11:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks