Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2009, 09:04   #1
BHPian

Honda Activa Complaints

Hi Guys,
I have bought a new Honda Activa On 19th sept 09 with a faith in mind that nothing can happen to a Honda. But alas it is turning out to be a mistake. I would like to mention the problems faced so far, so any one buying the same product may consider other options. I am mentioning the booking & delivery time here.

1. At the time of delivery there was a dent on the side panel. So the scooter was sent back for the job. Delivery delayed.
2. After rinding the Activa, I found the handle was getting jammed on right side. Twice it happened so that while driving it got stuck & almost had a accident. So visited workshop & got it repaired.
3. Within two weeks the horn stops working. Again visit workshop.
4. Twenty days later front brake starts making nose as if the brake drum is out.
5. 30th day the left brake lever switch starts malfunctioning.
Now At first service I will have to report all these problems & attend to them. All these complaints at just 192 kms on the odometer.
I am quite surprised & worried about the build quality of the scooter now.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:05   #2
BHPian

Abhijit, i would advice that you get your vehcile checked by KUN honda who are one of the best dealers and the best when it comes to service.

Honda vehciles are extremely reliable and their engines are extremely well refined. This might be a one-off issue. Get it checked well by KUN, i am sure they would resolve your issue.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:44   #3
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Honda Lemon?

Hi Abhijit,

Looks like you landed up with a lemon from Honda.

You should not have taken delivery of the scooter when you found a dented pedal. You could write to Honda Scooters directly about the problems and ask for a replacement at the max. Could be that this lemon is the hand-work of the dealer and not Honda.

MODS: Please move this thread to the Motocycle section.
Old 18th October 2009, 11:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

There's a GO SLOW by the employees of HMSL since the past more than 1 month due to some wage/perk disputes.That has reduced its output by about 50%. Maybe the quality is suffering.
And HMSL management has given a press note saying that they are not averse to shifting out the whole factory and relocating it elsewhere.
Maybe thats why lemons like yours are coming into the market.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th October 2009 at 11:33.
Old 18th October 2009, 23:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Hi Abhijit,

Looks like you landed up with a lemon from Honda.
We had a Honda Dio for some time. It was nothing I expected from Honda. In its 2-3 years with us, the cylinder block/ piston had to be changed because of gudgeon pin issues. The bike had constant small niggling issues. A sound here and a sound there.

I am not too sure of the quality of Honda scooters, Motorcycles are well made it seems.

Scooty is serving us well now. Better than that Honda lemonade that we had.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:45   #6
BHPian

looks like a TD scooter. Demand a full refund. SOme one from Himachal pradesh got it for his faulty Shine (125 cc). He had to follow it though
Digg the thread. Try xBHP.com too
Old 19th October 2009, 02:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

The dent in the side panel itself should have made you suspect that it might have been a TD scoot. Even if it was not, you should not have accepted the scoot in that state for any reason. New should mean new. If it requires fixing up, its like buying a 2nd hand vehicle.
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Abhijit, i would advice that you get your vehcile checked by KUN honda who are one of the best dealers and the best when it comes to service.

Honda vehciles are extremely reliable and their engines are extremely well refined. This might be a one-off issue. Get it checked well by KUN, i am sure they would resolve your issue.

What is this KUN ?
Is it something in Chennai? I guess abhijit is from Pune/
Old 22nd October 2009, 20:43   #9
BHPian

Abhijith,

Yours is a one off case probably. My office assistant is using it from past 8 months and has not come to me with a single problem. He has done 9.5k kms and visits the service centres only for the due service and nothing else. I have never seen him complaining on anything. HE is a very happy man.

Get the scooter checked properly and ride.But i think you should check how the dent on the side panel has happened.
You should have not taken delivery of the scooter if you had seen the dent. now they can easily say it was not there when delivered.I hope its not a demo scooter though.

There is absolutely no doubt on the build quality of the scooter whatsoever. Every second scooter in Bangalore is an activa.They are selling like hot cakes. This is my experience with the Honda.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 22nd October 2009 at 20:48.
Old 27th October 2009, 22:09   #10
BHPian

activa complaints

Hi Guys,
Thanks everyone for the sincere concern. I did my 1st honda free service from the dealer, & i am glad to say that all problems seemed to be solved for now. Its running quite nicely.
Old 30th May 2011, 08:31   #11
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa Complaints

I have a 6 yr old Activa and it seems to be misfiring. The mechanic (during the last service) says it is the coil (alternator). Is there any other place in Bangalore I can get the coil checked other than Ruby electricals on Lal Bagh road?
Old 30th May 2011, 14:29   #12
BHPian

I forgot to mention that the mechanic checked and changed the spark plug and it was still misfiring. There is a loud back fire every now and then that startles bystanders. Anyone face this issue? Is the diagnosis correct? The bike has completed about 24K kms so far.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I forgot to mention that the mechanic checked and changed the spark plug and it was still misfiring. There is a loud back fire every now and then that startles bystanders. Anyone face this issue? Is the diagnosis correct? The bike has completed about 24K kms so far.
Change the Oil filter. This should address the issue. I did face similar issue in my Activa at around 36K Kms, after all the trial and error, oil filter change did the trick.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 16:34   #14
BHPian

I'm also getting a very low fuel economy - under 30kmpl. Do you think this is the same issue? I've already put in a new air filter and keep the tyres at the right pressure.
Carlos, were these issues you faced too?
Old 30th May 2011, 16:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm also getting a very low fuel economy - under 30kmpl. Do you think this is the same issue? I've already put in a new air filter and keep the tyres at the right pressure.
Carlos, were these issues you faced too?
Yes, I did face low fuel economy in my Active after this. I had to change some part don't remember which one to get back the fuel economy back to normal. I think clutch valve or some think like that was the culprit. Authorized service centers are useless in this issue. The couldn't fix it for 3 consecutive service. Later I took it to local mechanic he got the issue fixed.

Most Viewed