Team-BHP - Registration of Honda Activa after relocation to Mumbai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Registration of Honda Activa after relocation to Mumbai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/67763-registration-honda-activa-after-relocation-mumbai.html)

Friends

I had purchased a Honda Activa in 2003 in Bangalore in my name.

In 2006, I relocated back to Mumbai and then was in US since then. My brother continued to use it to go to the nearby temple etc for really short distances as it continues to have a KA-01... number plate. I intend to get it registered in Mumbai such that I get a MH-01 number and use it for not so short distances but not sure of what the process is

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Note: I only have the RC Book which cites the vehicle is in my name. I dont think my family paid for the insurance of the Activa so I think I might have to get insurance cover prior to getting the vehicle registered.

Mods - hope this is the right forum. Do move it to the appropriate forum if this does not belong here

Its quite difficult and costly.

You will have to:
  1. Pay Octroi (Approx 5k)
  2. Get NOC from Bangalore RTO
  3. Deposit Tax in Mumbai RTO (Approx 4k)
  4. Claim Tax refund from Bangalore RTO
It would be easier to sell it and buy a new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 1539710)
Its quite difficult and costly.

It would be easier to sell it and buy a new one.

Wow - thats a pricey affair. Can I sell it easily in Mumbai?
If I decide to continue to own it and register it, it it necessary to go to Bangalore? Can't this step be avoided?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarenes (Post 1539721)
Can I sell it easily in Mumbai?

NO. Since the buyer would have to take this headache. Only those who do not really want to do paperwork would buy it and that too at scrap rates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarenes (Post 1539721)
If I decide to continue to own it and register it, it it necessary to go to Bangalore? Can't this step be avoided?

Transfer to Mumbai can't happen without NOC from Bangalore RTO. If you pay 7 - 800 Rs RTO agent in Bangalore would be able to arrange it.

AFAIK NOC requires pencil impression of chasis number from scooter.

Frankly, you have two options:
  1. Sell it in Bangalore
  2. Drive it in Mumbai with KA number plate
Option #2 is not too bad. Just keep PUC / Insurance up to date.

@Aarenes - I have just been thro' all that. Reregistered my AP Hero Honda to TN.

Shall tell you from experience its a waste of time and money. I spent close to 4-5 K to get my bike reregistered. It is not worth it unless your bike is very new.

I would suggest you to sell your bike and buy a new one.

I tried doing the process on my own. Went to RTO office armed with all the documents. The clerk will tell you bring signature of inspector. The inspector is not at his seat. When I ask, his secretary tells me "no one knows when sarr will come, he manages 3 police stations you see!!" :Shockked:

I made 4 visits and each time I got same response. Just that I didnt want to bribe the agents sitting outside, I thought I will do on my own. And it was damn frustrating. Nothing works in India unless you are ready to pay the quacks.

Finally took membership with AASI (automobile association of south india). They did the process relatively simple and no bribing! But it took close to 6 months for the reregistration with 2 visits to RTO - 1st inspection and final inspection.

Quote:

Thanks netfreakBombay

That was the original intent. But friendly relatives adviced against having a non-MH number plate stating police would give trouble.

Perhaps that should have been my original question whether it is ok to continue driving with the KA number plate. Have not seen many non-MH scooters/bikes. If it ain't too much hassle, I might actually consider driving it around with KA. Certainly see a ton of MH-04 number plates in South Mumbai and another ton of DD/GJ registered vehicles.

Actually, wife will be using it a whole lot more to run around for small errands. Although she has a vehicle available, parking is a huge problem an that ends up wasting more time than the carrying out the errand itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarenes (Post 1539765)
Thanks netfreakBombay

That was the original intent. But friendly relatives adviced against having a non-MH number plate stating police would give trouble.

Can't rule out possibility of trouble.

But on a practical level, been driving my scooter since 2004. Got fined once for PUC, but not for out of state vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 1539782)
Can't rule out possibility of trouble.

But on a practical level, been driving my scooter since 2004. Got fined once for PUC, but not for out of state vehicle.

You have an Out of State registration for your scooter too?

Yaa. Its not registered in MH. Never faced a problem due to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 1539743)
Transfer to Mumbai can't happen without NOC from Bangalore RTO. If you pay 7 - 800 Rs RTO agent in Bangalore would be able to arrange it.

AFAIK NOC requires pencil impression of chasis number from scooter.

Frankly, you have two options:
  1. Sell it in Bangalore
  2. Drive it in Mumbai with KA number plate

Bhai, in today's time no broker will do this work for Rs 800. Recently one of my friend paid Rs 1500 for getting an NOC from Bangalore to Chennai. Even I shifted my bike from bangalore to chennai, fortunately i managed to get an NOC by approaching ARTO directly:).

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarenes (Post 1539574)
Friends I had purchased a Honda Activa in 2003 in Bangalore in my name.

In 2006, I relocated back to Mumbai and then was in US since then. My brother continued to use it to go to the nearby temple etc for really short distances as it continues to have a KA-01... number plate. I intend to get it registered in Mumbai such that I get a MH-01 number and use it for not so short distances but not sure of what the process is

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Note: I only have the RC Book which cites the vehicle is in my name. I dont think my family paid for the insurance of the Activa so I think I might have to get insurance cover prior to getting the vehicle registered.

Aarenes: Selling your Activa is not possible in MH without re-registration. In your case, the best option is to use it without changing the registration. just pay Rs 50-100 and move on. Getting an NOC that too without filling "Babu sahab's" pockets is a difficult task, but not impossible. Suppose if you manage to take an NOC from bangalore then also you have to pay road tax, re-registration charges and brokerage at Mumbai. This will be not less than Rs 5000-7000 (including brokerage).