Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2010, 21:11   #31
BHPian

Took a test drive today of the Jive, not a bad bike, it's got some sort of a rotory clutch, by which I mean, it goes 1,2,3,4,Neautral,1,2,3,4Neautral in circles if you want, can be started in any gear, a little confusing though, there a fair bit of play in the gear lever between gears, I mean the shifts are really wide, which I din't like.

I would have much preferred, if the Jive had a automtic clutch like the active and had both breaks in hand.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Took a test drive today of the Jive, not a bad bike, it's got some sort of a rotory clutch, by which I mean, it goes 1,2,3,4,Neautral,1,2,3,4Neautral in circles if you want, can be started in any gear, a little confusing though, there a fair bit of play in the gear lever between gears, I mean the shifts are really wide, which I din't like.

I would have much preferred, if the Jive had a automtic clutch like the active and had both breaks in hand.
+
It can be started in any gear - same way can the bike move on any gear
or only on 1st gear and then shift higher gears??

They have removed the Clutch lever from left hand side handle, instead they should have converted same as rear brake? That would have been more convenient
Old 18th April 2010, 23:09   #33
BHPian

Can anyone throw some light on how shifting of gears without clutch work. I believe this bike has some kind of auto clutch mechanism. But not able to understand its technology.
Old 18th April 2010, 23:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the Jive a few weeks back. Its a funny little bike!

The gear shifts are not at all crisp. It feels like you are shifting gears immersed in molasses. Actually, I think that the auto clutch thingy might be getting disengaged when you press the gear lever. The large play and the sticky nature of the shift might just be the clutch disengaging.

However, what was cool was the fact that it can stop and start off in any gear!
I don't really understand how that happens. Probably the clutch gets disengaged itself when the bike starts to lug or something.

The bike otherwise is pathetic. Poor plastic quality; a ride quality to create slipped disc epidemics and it was so light that I had difficulty riding it.

At 42000 or abouts I doubt the number of people buying this over the Activas and all.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

They claim that the bike wieghs 110kgs (much lighter) making it convenience to operate?
Also FE seems good (will it achieve actually) i.e 65kmpl (which may not be able to get either any of the other gearless scooters like activa, mahindra flyte etc?)

And a big fuel tank with capacity of 15litres - is there any difference in its look with such big tank fitted on the bike?
Old 19th April 2010, 10:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

15 lts! I don't buy that. My bullet has a 13 + 2 tank. The Jive had a 8 ltr one if I recall correctly.

15 does even make sense on a city commuter.

65 kmpl with people constantly lugging the bike sounds impossible again. Lets wait for some figures to come up.
Old 19th April 2010, 13:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
15 lts! I don't buy that. My bullet has a 13 + 2 tank. The Jive had a 8 ltr one if I recall correctly.

15 does even make sense on a city commuter.

65 kmpl with people constantly lugging the bike sounds impossible again. Lets wait for some figures to come up.
+
thanks
however websites like vicky.in, bikeadvice.in etc are claiming that this bike has got fuel tank capacity of 15litres?
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:50   #38
BHPian

Why go by some website claims?

The TVS motors website has it listed to have 15 Litre fuel tank. I have their product brochure too.

Guys, this bike is lovely. Couldn't stop curiosity and went for a test ride. Very very useful in city. Start in any gear. It pulls - no knocking - centrifugal clutch (in addition to regular gear box). Stop in any gear without stalling the engine and start moving in any gear. Awesome.

This bike has so much torque that it pulls two people from stand still up a muddy incline in 3rd gear. Even on a plain road if you revv in 1st gear it sure does a wheelie. The bike I rode had 168 KMs on the odo and cable NOT disconnected. 50 KMs ridden by SC guys to go inot the city and back. In the remaining 110 KMs odd for test drives it seems people fell off it 3 times because of the torque in 1st gear as they start off at the showroom's muddy incline down to the main road. Then they started giving test rides from the service road instead of their showroom gate

Rode it in traffic. Loved it. Rode it a little further to a little open stretch and it pulled effortlessly till 70 KMPH without feeling strain - with pillion. Couldn't go further as we had to return. Liked the bike. Very practical. No power-lag as in scooters, no messy clutch and heavy gear shifts as in bikes.

BTW, the auto clutch gets engaged during the first half press on the gear lever. That's why the gear box doesn't feel slick and has a long play. But that is great for a commuter - not bad at all and most people won't even notice it.

One real innovation. Should appreciate TVS for getting a proper motorcycle with this technology. Once I ride it I understand why the people in east Asian countries buy the Hinda Cub (HH Street), TVS Neo and the likes so much.

Last edited by MotoKris : 22nd April 2010 at 09:52.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Motokris
Thanks yours with valid information.
I referred the websites becoz have seen others claiming that she do not have such fuel tank capacity. Anyway this is not a big issue as even 10litre tank would be sufficient (atleast 600kms before next fill!).

btw, have you seen the underseat storage area - is it really useful (company claim that one bottle and a small umbrella can be kept in this space?)
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review by you brother.
No doubt a couple of Indian two-wheeler manufacturers are more into R&D & TVS is the leader in all that stuff.
Alas, people like to go for manufacturer from our North, which is at best at plastic+sticker work on borrowed technology & few crappy ads that corrupt newbie riders to go fast risking own lives & that of all others on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
Why go by some website claims?

The TVS motors website has it listed to have 15 Litre fuel tank. I have their product brochure too.

Guys, this bike is lovely. Couldn't stop curiosity and went for a test ride. Very very useful in city. Start in any gear. It pulls - no knocking - centrifugal clutch (in addition to regular gear box). Stop in any gear without stalling the engine and start moving in any gear. Awesome.

This bike has so much torque that it pulls two people from stand still up a muddy incline in 3rd gear. Even on a plain road if you revv in 1st gear it sure does a wheelie. The bike I rode had 168 KMs on the odo and cable NOT disconnected. 50 KMs ridden by SC guys to go inot the city and back. In the remaining 110 KMs odd for test drives it seems people fell off it 3 times because of the torque in 1st gear as they start off at the showroom's muddy incline down to the main road. Then they started giving test rides from the service road instead of their showroom gate

Rode it in traffic. Loved it. Rode it a little further to a little open stretch and it pulled effortlessly till 70 KMPH without feeling strain - with pillion. Couldn't go further as we had to return. Liked the bike. Very practical. No power-lag as in scooters, no messy clutch and heavy gear shifts as in bikes.

BTW, the auto clutch gets engaged during the first half press on the gear lever. That's why the gear box doesn't feel slick and has a long play. But that is great for a commuter - not bad at all and most people won't even notice it.

One real innovation. Should appreciate TVS for getting a proper motorcycle with this technology. Once I ride it I understand why the people in east Asian countries buy the Hinda Cub (HH Street), TVS Neo and the likes so much.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:25   #41
BHPian

Why bash TVS always?

Indian People just like anything whatever is foreign. TVS is a good manufacturer (might not be the best) and the reliability of TVS bikes is proven in market. What they lack is glamour,good marketting adds and a general feel that this company is well organised and serious about there 2wheelers ie.bad brand building. I myself own a TVS victor for last 7 years and can vouch for its reliability.

Jive is really a boon in the city:
1)No need to press the hard clutch every now and then when you stop behind a vehicle.
2)Easy starting of vehicle from Zero speed.
3)No need to worry about engine stalling in the middle of a traffic jam while taking off.
4)No need to press clutch to change gears.
5) The presence of gears as compared to an activa gives the advantage of positive drive read greater efficiency. Also higher torque.Here now you can decide how much torque you want to give to your rear wheel depending upon the road condition,whereas in activa its left to the variator to decide the perfect ratio which has its own lag leading to slow throttle repsonse.
6)Its a bike way more safer than a junk activa or any scooter with pathetic brakes,worst suspension and to add to it the small wheels which get stuck up in the big pothole filled Indian roads.
7)Fuel efficiency will be always better than any activas or other similar scooters because of positive gear drive,ability to select gear ratios as per the human will( like a mechanical gearbox).Add to this the 15 litre tank so you need not fill petrol often and worry about venturing on highways due to its limited range.
8)Technically and practically this bike is the best option a city rider can get.Now it all depends on the people to accept it or reject it. Indian people mostly select or reject a particular model more based onlooks,image,glamour,brand,marketting etc etc rather than the functionality or easy to use and practicality of the 2wheeler.
to JIVE and to TVS for coming out with such a bike.

One disadvantage of this bike can be that as the bike can be stopped in any gear without stalling the engine,people will try to take off in wrong gears such as 2nd and 3rd which means pure abuse of the vehicle leading to bad fuel economy and then blaming TVS for coming out with such a bike.Also starting off in wrong gears will lead to higher wear and tear on the centrifugal clutch.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 22nd April 2010 at 12:27. Reason: Inserting space after paragraphs to make it more readable.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

@amit purohit20
Encouraging write up. Very Good.
I own a kinetic sym flyte (now mahindra flyte) which gives a mileage around 32/35 kmpl. If one can compare this with Jive for which company claims that 65kmpl (take it
60kmpl for sure?), so still very very FE, and you said correctly, that the feeling of
riding a bike with big wheels than that of a scooter which has got poor ground clearance (with pillor rider) it will hit any kind road bumber's.
Only advantage with these gearless scooters (flyte, activa,aviater,dio likewise)are they have good storage place under the seat.

imo, with Jive hit the market, the sale of gearless scooters may affect somewhat.
Further who knows, other companies may also follow the footsteps of TVS and come with similar model bike's?
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No doubt a couple of Indian two-wheeler manufacturers are more into R&D & TVS is the leader in all that stuff.
Alas, people like to go for manufacturer from our North, which is at best at plastic+sticker work on borrowed technology & few crappy ads that corrupt newbie riders to go fast risking own lives & that of all others on the road.
Err this very copy paste company had launched an Auto Clutch Step Thru motorcycle in the 90s It was called HH Street, it bombed lets see how Jive fares
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:15   #44
BHPian

Reason for HH Street's failure

Off topic,

One possible reason for HH street's failure could be it's ugly looks. Jive looks like a proper bike, which is plus point.
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Err this very copy paste company had launched an Auto Clutch Step Thru motorcycle in the 90s It was called HH Street, it bombed lets see how Jive fares
Yes, I recall that moped type (Honda Cub resembling) two wheeler. But, I was just emphasising that they do not have any inhouse R&D as compared to TVS (who are not only in R&D & Bike Racing) & also Bajaj. HH have just imported the dies for products that were better that the contemporaries 15-20 years ago. But things are definitely not the same now.

Sorry ... I may have sound offensive, but these stem out of (unsatisfactory) ownership experience in the past ( me too was fooled because of a son of ....., my cousin, who suggested me that one).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks