Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

My friend is looking for a small distance runabout and was looking at buying either the Aviator or the Activa.
However, since the Jive came out, he is giving it serious thought too,since they fall almost in the same price band and it is probably easier to buy a Jive than an Activa. I am trying to convince him that for a short distance household and family runabout, nothing can beat the convenience of a scooter.
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
My friend is looking for a small distance runabout and was looking at buying either the Aviator or the Activa.
However, since the Jive came out, he is giving it serious thought too,since they fall almost in the same price band and it is probably easier to buy a Jive than an Activa. I am trying to convince him that for a short distance household and family runabout, nothing can beat the convenience of a scooter.
+
Scooter (aviator or active or anyother make) can be handled by all including ladies. whereas JIVE is just a Bike hence may not be convenient for ladies? However if your friend need the comfort and style of a Bike then better go for JIVE!
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

I guess the scooters bring with them a definite space advantage, which the Jive won't be able to match.

I think the Jive better suits people who are into local city commuting with a lot of traffic on their routes.
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

JIVE has got underseat space to accommodate a Bottle and a small folding umbrella or some documents etc. Whereas in scooters (especially on Activa/aviator/wega etc)
the underseat space is spacious and one carry lot of things -and ofcourse can keep a helmet safely without bothering to carry same alongwith you.?
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
Scooter (aviator or active or anyother make) can be handled by all including ladies. whereas JIVE is just a Bike hence may not be convenient for ladies? However if your friend need the comfort and style of a Bike then better go for JIVE!
I dont think its size and weight would make it that inconvenient for ladies in general(now, i am only guessing here.) , but my friend hasnt owned a two wheeler for atleast 5 years now.
His use would be very much in the city, of distances at max a couple of Kms from home.

PS : We do really need the Wego to be out , and fast. There has to be a credible alternative to the hyper popular Activa.

Last edited by sajo : 3rd May 2010 at 23:39.
Old 4th May 2010, 20:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
No I understand your feelings, I just wanted to tell that this is not a revolutionary technology & has been intriduced in India before. Yes the Street wasnt a looker & for that matter the step thrus didnt work in India accept for the M80.

I still have doubts on Auto Clutch bikes in India irrespective of who offers it. For one we dont know how the target audience reacts to it after the intial euphoria, also we need to see the possible technical issues that owners might face.

Some people are comparing it with Automatics well there is big difference, this one has all the gears it just the clutch which is missing.

I agree that the technology is not revolutionary. But the application is definitely revolutionary. Jive is a complete motorcycle unlike Street.

Which means better handling, maneuverability, good ground clearance, better braking compared to a step thru design.

IMO.. it would highly appeal to those who ride in traffic everyday.
Old 4th May 2010, 20:50   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I did not find the torque anything impressive. It was okay at best. Is it possible that your pillion's weight might be causing the phenomenon?

I don't know how great the clutch will deal with obvious clutch riding in Indian conditions.

Lets hope not too many people end up with fried plates.

I don't quite understand its USP. Do we not already have the gearless scooters for this convenience?
The Jive is not even remotely macho that someone goes in for it purely due to the looks.

Is it confirmed as having a 15 ltr tank?

May it is focused on commuters who currently buy splendors, shine, passion, glamour etc. Hopefully this being geared motorcycle the mileage will be great.

Comfort of a scooter & performance of a motorcycle. Kind of hitting the sweet spot, IMO.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

I have already checked with the dealer and they confirm fuel tank capacity 15litres (inlcuding 2.7l reserve)
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:59   #69
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod : nairrk's Jive ownership report has been moved to a new thread here - ownership Link
Old 13th December 2010, 20:21   #70
BHPian

Re: TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS

A neat Ad on Jive ! Watch it

Old 20th December 2010, 21:24   #71
BHPian

That's a good ad by TVS. But I wonder how much it woud appeal to the "aam junta" so that they come to buy this in dozens
Old 19th September 2016, 17:51   #72
BHPian

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I'm considering returning to riding a motorcycle for my daily commute through dense Mumbai traffic.

While I don't hear too many people complaining about left hand pain caused by clutch operation on commuter bikes, I was keen on learning about what happened to this bike ... and why it has disappeared from the market.

No, I am not interested in any of the gearless scooters - even though the big wheeled TVS Jupiter and the recently launched Aprilia SR 150 seem interesting.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 19th September 2016, 18:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread.

I'm considering returning to riding a motorcycle for my daily commute through dense Mumbai traffic.

While I don't hear too many people complaining about left hand pain caused by clutch operation on commuter bikes, I was keen on learning about what happened to this bike ... and why it has disappeared from the market.

No, I am not interested in any of the gearless scooters - even though the big wheeled TVS Jupiter and the recently launched Aprilia SR 150 seem interesting.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

The idea of a Motorcycle with Gears but without Clutch is alien to Indians.

The Hero Honda Street (Similar Gear mechanism in a Step Thru format) was another failure in India

Even in South East Asian countries where such clutchless / geared step thrus were once very popular have been over taken now by Automatic scooters (with CVT mechanisms)..

.. therefore I would suggest you not to resist.. but to give in to the ease and convenience of riding an automatic scooter with CVT transmission

Old 19th September 2016, 19:20   #74
BHPian

Just asking, why don't bike manufacturers provide an option of CVT on their models? For someone like me who doesn't want to give my left leg a workout it would be a boon. I can ride around in a Fazer or R15 with style and comfort.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
.. therefore I would suggest you not to resist.. but to give in to the ease and convenience of riding an automatic scooter with CVT transmission
Thanks payeng.

While I am not opposed to CVTs, I have a strong preference for big wheeled motorcycles over smaller wheeled scooters.

I would dearly love it if Honda were to introduce a CVT CB Unicorn ... that would be the best of all worlds - class-leading ride comfort, one-of-a-kind convenience, and the stability and superior braking of a motorcycle - all rolled into one.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 19th September 2016 at 21:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks