Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 20:44   #1
BHPian

TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS

Today's Business Line reports that TVS Motor Company is planning to launch a auto clutch bike in the Executive Commuter Segment.
Now, the concept is not new- we've had the HH Street, though it was a step thru, it had rotary gears to add the convenience factor. But, terrible pricing made it extinct soon.

How many of us to really wish such convenience feature in a bike?
If I'm a commuter, I definitely would like an auto-clutch. If I'm a biker, I want the manual clutch.
If the bike really turns into production reality, I'd definitely be interested to ride it, if not own it.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice, but which executive commuter. Their executive bike is Apache and its hard core sporty bike..not a commuter. This would really suit a Uni or GS.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:41   #3
BHPian

Mpower Sir,
This is how I'd name the segments-
Basic Commuters for CD Dawn, Deluxe, Platina, Star
Executive Commuters for
Splendor, Passion, Discover, Flame
Sports for Pulsars, Xtreme , Hunk, Apache, FZ
Premium Sports for P220, ZMR, R15, may be the Ninja also till there're more Exotic Sports... ;-)
And for Unicorn and GS, I'll call them Super Commuters.
I don't intend to say that this is the perfect classification, but this is how I tend to see them as.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:50   #4
BHPian

Good feature to have looking at the hard 'clutch dragging+ engine revving' while in city traffic. For so called sports/ premium bikes, preferably it should have a manual override for enabling the quick shifts as needed.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:57   #5
BHPian

My Yamaha TTR-50 has an auto-clutch. Honestly, I do not like it much. I suppose it would be alright for commuting though.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:10   #6
BANNED

TVS indonesia has the bike running already . I suppose it might be same bike . It just looks like a HH street though .

TVS Motor Company Indonesia
Old 21st October 2009, 19:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excuse my limited knowledge of the 2 wheeler segment, but the way I see it : At one end (and major chunk) of the bike segment, fuel efficiency is paramount. At the other, power & image rule (I'm told this segment is growing). Wouldn't an auto-clutch bike be neither here nor there?
Old 21st October 2009, 19:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well if the autocluth is anything like what Hero Honda had offered in their street then its nothing new & is neither has any significant advantage or disadvantage.

It would only serve as a Marketing Gimmick.

On the other Hand if its autobox like Activa, Scooty etc it would have an impact on pickup & mileage, both of which would make people stay away from it.
Old 21st October 2009, 20:19   #9
BHPian

Quoted from the BikeIndia Website : TVS to go clutch-free

"Looks like our speculation about TVS step-through bike will also come true. A source close to the firm has confirmed that the two-wheeler major is planning to launch a motorcycle with automatic clutch in the next couple of months.

Yes, the bike could very well be the Neo, that we had spotted under test near Chennai recently. Internationally TVS also sells this step-thru with an automatic clutch coupled with a rotary gearbox. Which means that you don't have to use the clutch lever every time you change gears.

This will be a bold step for TVS as other motorcycle manufacturers who have tried to tread the automatic clutch/step-thru path have not been very successful in India yet. Not too long ago Hero Honda had launched the Street, equipped the user-friendly clutch-less gear shift pattern. Though it was a worthy product with a reliable CD100/Splendor engine and good build quality, it failed to attract many buyers in spite of Hero Honda brand name. Kinetic tried to attract the masses with their step-thru K4 100 moped a few years back but even this product bombed. The only step-thru vehicle that did survive for quite some time was the Bajaj M-80.

Coming back to the Neo, the bike was displayed at the last Auto Expo and is currently produced in Indonesia. The Neo would be based on the Star City 110cc engine, churning out 7.5PS and boasts of sporting attractive graphics and styling. It could also feature five-spoke alloys and a 220mm front disc. Most bikes in this segment are priced between Rs 40,000 to Rs 45,000 and if TVS is looking at carving a niche then it has to price the new offering very competitively."
Old 21st October 2009, 20:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Alright this sounds exactly like the Hero Honda Street.

If the news is indeed true I am surprised to know that TVS is ignorant of the fact that India has never been a market for step thru's
Old 21st October 2009, 21:28   #11
BHPian

If I'm not wrong, the report did not mention that the Auto Clutch Bike would be a Step Thru. It may be a proper motorcycle minus the clutch.
But, we know that the Neo is bein tested extensively by TVS and it may very well be the one to sport the auto clutch.
Big question is- Does it make sense?
History has the answer in the form of Hero Honda Street.
Is TVS brave enough to go against it? May be with a super attractive price?

If it's a proper motorcycle, commuter at that and can deliver fuel efficiency levels at par with the current crop of zillion kmpl bikes, it should sell.
Old 21st October 2009, 22:17   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumBiker View Post
Quoted from the BikeIndia Website : TVS to go clutch-free

I dont think it is the star city engine . I think it has the centra engine .

Last edited by Eddy : 21st October 2009 at 22:53. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post for a one line reply.
Old 21st October 2009, 22:23   #13
BANNED

HH street was launched 10-12 yrs back atleast . the traffic situation was not so bad then . There were no cellphones as well. Most of the bikes seem to be driven by cellphones rather than the drivers as such

Todays traffic is in such a chaos at most of the cities that an average customer would prefer an automatic clutch rather than a manual clutch .

The NEo from its indonesian spec seems that it has both the automatic /manual over ride as well .
If the pricing is in the bracket of 40K the bike should sell in limited quantities ,but I think it will be priced above 40K as the scooty with a 75 CC engine sells for 40K ..LOL

TVS might not be able to get the pricing right for the bike .. That is what i can assume .

A step thru with a 100 cc engine costing not more than 25-30K would sell well in India given the change in the mindsets of the average middle class .
Old 31st October 2009, 15:19   #14
BHPian

TVS is going to launch their new bike with auto clutch. Named as Star Sport CL 115. More Info at: TVS to launch Star Sport CL 115 | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos

TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS-11.jpg
TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS-22.jpg
TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS-33.jpg
TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS-55.jpg
TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS-44.jpg
Old 25th November 2009, 16:01   #15
BHPian

TVS Launches Wego and Jive.

MODS : Please merge this Thread with http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/67792-auto-clutch-bike-anyone-dial-tvs.html

Tvs Motors launched Wego, a large Scooter aimed at Honda gang.

TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS-tvs_wego_2.jpg

TVS launches Wego in India | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos

TVS also launched its first clutchelss bike named Jive.

TVS Jive - The Auto Clutch Bike from TVS-tvs_jive_1.jpg

TVS launches its Clutchless bike – TVS Jive | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 25th November 2009 at 16:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks