Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 22:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
By truck or by train, damage does happen more often than not. Neither is relaible. Best way of transporting is to get a small thick iron-sheet mini container fabricated. Roll your bike inside, slam the door, put a huge padlock, check it in with truck or train and forget about it. Even if they toss this things around, the scratches will be on the container and bike inside will be safe.
I am sure that GILL's bike may not be full insureed as it is a RD and no one in this date does a full insurance for it cause it is not possible untill and unless it is less than 15 years old which i suspect.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:05   #17
BANNED

Even my last RD came from Chandigarh and tracking was showing damaged but touch wood nothing was damaged, they do preety good job only we need to take care of removing indicators, control levers, tail lamp unit ect to protect from transport damages.BTW congrates Gill on sending the bike to Bangalore at last its happenning.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:39   #18
BANNED

We have used Gati many times in the past (Kanpur-Manipal. Manipal-Kanpur, Kanpur-Hyderabad, etc) ), and have always found them reliable and good. Only the transit time they specify has to be often taken with a very big pinch of salt. The web figure is however accurate.
Old 28th October 2009, 07:05   #19

Hi,
I need to move my Honda Unicorn from Hyderabad to New Delhi in the next week.
What would be the best mode of transport. and any company with contact number/ address / cost in hyderabad

One issue here also. It's a bike basically from Delhi, with Delhi registration. (DL) but i have lost all the papers of it, so considering this what mode would be best where paper checks are not required, as i will have to get duplicate papers when i am in delhi

thanksin advance for your replies
Old 28th October 2009, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKKSHA View Post
Hi,
One issue here also. It's a bike basically from Delhi, with Delhi registration. (DL) but i have lost all the papers of it, so considering this what mode would be best where paper checks are not required, as i will have to get duplicate papers when i am in delhi
I dont think any transporter will agree to transport the bike unless you have the papers with you, atleast the photocopies.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Best way of transporting is to get a small thick iron-sheet mini container fabricated.....
Is this feasible? I think it would cost quite a bit to get something like this fabricated. Are there any companies which hire out containers like this?
Perhaps, it would be best to remove the tank, instrument cluster, head/tail lights and indicators and pack them in a sturdy wooden crate before transporting.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:58   #22
BHPian

bikes are meant to transport you the best way to transport them is to ride them to the destination in one piece .full stop
Old 29th October 2009, 14:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

When you transport bikes by gati/vrl/afl, which i've done on every single ride of mine, my experience has been checkered. A few things i noticed:
1. Remove not just the mirrors but the indicators & the tail light assembly.
2. Make sure you stand there and get the bike packed in your presence if possible. Nothing beats ones own supervision.
3. Make sure you have comprehensive insurance for your bike. No claims are ever entertained by the carrier. They do lip service and stretch the matter for so long that you lose it. They always refer you back to the sending office and if you are there, the receiving office!

Damages are unfortunate but of the 8 times i've carted my bullet by Gati/AFL, the damage was only on the first time when i didnt do the things i just listed!

If your wheels are rare/precious, either ride them to the destination or take them on a train with you. Most of the folks i know who carried their bikes along (removing lights, mirrors etc) didnt have any damage with the right packing.
Old 31st October 2010, 00:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Here is a case of my friend - where GATI not only delayed delivery - they changed web logs, there was pilferage and all the time customer care did not put him in touch with anyone who was responsible.

We choose a courier rather than a transporter as we get:

Speedy on time delivery
Care for your precious bike
Security for the same
Accurate tracking information

What if you get one that:

Is consistently incapable of fulfilling delivery commitments
Makes it a point not to reply in writing to any e mails.
Allows pilferage en route
Is pin drop silent on the issue of refunds due due to non adherence of promised delivery schedules?
Refuses to allow irritating(all) customers to communicate directly with anybody senior and capable of making decisions within the organisation as though these worthies have descended from the heavens or something.

This shipment took almost 8 days more than the promised delivery date:

MOST SERIOUSLY, once there was the potential for a dispute (due to pilferage which occured with his baggage as well) this is what happened to their shipment status page. Please compare the two screenshots - GATI do not seem to be good people to deal with IMNSHO.

What the docket says:
Poor service by GATI - Transporting a bike-docket-gati-resized.jpg

What the tracking page originally said:
Poor service by GATI - Transporting a bike-original-gati-tracking-page.jpg

What it now says #facepalm:
Poor service by GATI - Transporting a bike-gati-tracking-page.jpg

Do you want your stuff to go like this:
Poor service by GATI - Transporting a bike-different-packaging-resized.jpg

Caveat emptor!
Attached Thumbnails
Poor service by GATI - Transporting a bike-properties-gati-tracking-page-ii.jpg  

Last edited by phamilyman : 31st October 2010 at 00:11.
Old 31st October 2010, 10:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Phamily man - If you're sure about this, you need to write to Superbrands & Ministry of Consumer Affairs :: Food & Public Distribution. Such people DO NOT deserve super brands awards because as customers, we (especially me) are carried away by people who've such accolade.

Last edited by aargee : 31st October 2010 at 10:37.
Old 31st October 2010, 14:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKKSHA View Post
Hi,
I need to move my Honda Unicorn from Hyderabad to New Delhi in the next week.
What would be the best mode of transport. and any company with contact number/ address / cost in hyderabad

You mean to say you lost your RC.Do not transport the bike now even if someone agrees to transport it free of cost.

Documents are required if you transport the bike by railways and roadways.

Please get the duplicate RC from Delhi RTO and then transport the bike.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:24   #27
BHPian

I transported my yamaha couple of times

from bangalore to belgaum (used the train) Paid enough to pack it with no chance of damage to the tank and everything - Got the bike a week later with the front mudguard bent.

From Belgaum to Bangalore ( Train ) Indicator broken, number plate bent

From Bangalore to Chennai ( Gati ) Side cover, clutch lever and indicator broken

These parcel service people don't give a damn about how much anyone loves their bike. Its completely man handled thrown around, pushed, loaded with tons of things on top of it. They try to squeeze in as many things as possible inside the same van. More the things, more the money.
They don't give a damn whether it gets damaged or not.
So it is our personal responsibility to take care that the packing is done with utmost care. May be go to the showroom, get those thermocol packing for tank and stuff.

Riding the bike is the best option compared to all. You just need the time and energy to do so.
Otherwise be ready to repair the broken bike.
Old 1st November 2010, 15:43   #28
BHPian

Private Bus companies do a decent job too. I had transported my pulsar 180 from chennai to Hyderabad in the luggage section of a volvo once. They charged a full ticket price (700Rs) which was the same amount I paid to travel by the same bus. simply rode to the bus stand. got it loaded, got down at an intersection close to my place early in the morning and rode away... :-)
Old 1st November 2010, 23:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Phamily man - If you're sure about this, you need to write to Superbrands & Ministry of Consumer Affairs :: Food & Public Distribution. Such people DO NOT deserve super brands awards because as customers, we (especially me) are carried away by people who've such accolade.
Fully agree. My friend is going the FIR way. Will post an update soon enough. Consumer court does not move the companies - FIR does make the local junta sit up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You mean to say you lost your RC.Do not transport the bike now even if someone agrees to transport it free of cost.

Documents are required if you transport the bike by railways and roadways.

Please get the duplicate RC from Delhi RTO and then transport the bike.
+100. Or for life's sake - get it scanned once u have it and keep it on a DVD. or email to your folks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I transported my yamaha couple of times

from bangalore to belgaum (used the train) Paid enough to pack it with no chance of damage to the tank and everything - Got the bike a week later with the front mudguard bent.

From Belgaum to Bangalore ( Train ) Indicator broken, number plate bent

From Bangalore to Chennai ( Gati ) Side cover, clutch lever and indicator broken

These parcel service people don't give a damn about how much anyone loves their bike. Its completely man handled thrown around, pushed, loaded with tons of things on top of it. They try to squeeze in as many things as possible inside the same van. More the things, more the money.
They don't give a damn whether it gets damaged or not.
So it is our personal responsibility to take care that the packing is done with utmost care. May be go to the showroom, get those thermocol packing for tank and stuff.

Riding the bike is the best option compared to all. You just need the time and energy to do so.
Otherwise be ready to repair the broken bike.
Absolutely. That's unfortunately the case. I honestly think they all start out as loaders of potatoes and onions at the local mandis and still behave the same way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cUjO View Post
Private Bus companies do a decent job too. I had transported my pulsar 180 from chennai to Hyderabad in the luggage section of a volvo once. They charged a full ticket price (700Rs) which was the same amount I paid to travel by the same bus. simply rode to the bus stand. got it loaded, got down at an intersection close to my place early in the morning and rode away... :-)
Oh yes - for those small distances - Volvo guys anyday! From manali to mumbai one does need some decent company, though. What say?
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:12   #30
Team-BHP Support

Here is what Arnob has to say.

GATI = Nightmare - Motoroids Forums

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks