Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:42   #1
BHPian

A little help in deciding for R E Bullet Electra 5s please

I got my TB TS 2 days back.Now,I am planning to buy a Royal Enfield Bullet electra 5s in 1 month,after seeing this at RE workshop.But I will be flying off to london in June 2010.Is it okay to buy or not ? No one else uses my motorcycles,when I am abroad.I will be coming once in two months and my study period is 1-1.5 year.

Need your advise please....
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:53   #2
BHPian

I dont think its a good idea, since no one else will be using your bikes and they have to stand idle till you come back. Its better to get it after you finish your studies. May be you will have some newer and better models to choose from.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't see the point in investing in something you'll not be using often. If you plan on retaining the TB, then you'll still have a bike to ride everytime you come down to India.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Do you mean you have a brand new Tb TS.
and are also planning on buying a second hand Electra 5S.
and you are leaving the country in 2010.

Why do you want 2 bikes?

Actually when will you be back.
If its gonna take a long time (say a year or more) coming back, sell off your TB TS.
and needless to say, dont buy the Electra.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:38   #5
BHPian

Rude 7,

I am buyer if you are selling the TBTS ! mind you, nobody else !
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:25   #6
BHPian

Beautiful idea Rude 7,
Actually answer is not as simple as your question is.
When will you go?? ========= It is june 2010.
Enjoy both AVL+UCE+ latest (as on today)= TBTS…………&……………. Old Cast iron thump =Electra 5s for 8 months.
And of course you are not going for ever!! You will be here once in two months.
But as you are only 2 days old bulleter remember that it is not a japans (even TBTS) pattern bike, you may have face starting problem when you will be in india (once in two month)….. I mean to say when will go the bikes and kicking in expectation that it will start in 4-5 kicks and it will not start you start to abuse bullets. So do some googling and surf Team-bhp itself for some DO & DO NOT type guidance while leaving bike idle for a long time.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do you mean you have a brand new Tb TS.
and are also planning on buying a second hand Electra 5S.
and you are leaving the country in 2010.

Why do you want 2 bikes?

Actually when will you be back.
If its gonna take a long time (say a year or more) coming back, sell off your TB TS.
and needless to say, dont buy the Electra.
Yes my TB TS is brand new,3 days old and I am not buying a second hand electra,I want to buy a new one only.

I recently finished my internship and I will be free for 8 months,so to kill time I
got into Royal Enfield riding.I will be going on trips,that's why I want two bikes.

I read in classic's topic that another model is going to be released along with classic,so If it's electra EFI,can I get that within 1 month atleast ? My dealer here in vijayawada doesn't even know that Machismo was stopped.I need a new dealer too.

Yes,I will stay for 1-1.5 year there,But I will come back once for every two months and in between I have semester holidays.

@nandan
I am not selling my Tb ts

Last edited by Rude7 : 23rd October 2009 at 22:28.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Rude 7,

I am buyer if you are selling the TBTS ! mind you, nobody else !
Mmmmm!! nandon water in mouth
Joking. Same here.

Regards
Alok Mathur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude7 View Post
Yes my TB TS is brand new,3 days old and I am not buying a second hand electra,I want to buy a new one only.

got into Royal Enfield riding.I will be going on trips,that's why I want two bikes.

I read in classic's topic that another model is going to be released along with classic,so If it's electra EFI,can I get that within 1 month atleast ? My dealer here in vijayawada doesn't even know that Machismo was stopped.I need a new dealer too.

Yes,I will stay for 1-1.5 year there,But I will come back once for every two months and in between I have semester holidays.
BOSS if you are going for brand new electra 5s, then I will suggest for STd. 350(4S right shift)/ Electra (4S right shift) instead of Electra 5S.
Also there is very hot thread on bullet classic saying it is going to launched on 4th Nov-09, check it out. One member is also claiming that he has booked a bullet classic.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th October 2009 at 10:46. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
BOSS if you are going for brand new electra 5s, then I will suggest for STd. 350(4S right shift)/ Electra (4S right shift) instead of Electra 5S.
Also there is very hot thread on bullet classic saying it is going to launched on 4th Nov-09, check it out. One member is also claiming that he has booked a bullet classic.
I heard that STD 350 has a lot problems,but my mechanic told me it's the only motorcycle saving RE from decades.I did not test ride electra 4s.I will do that on monday.

I am not going for classic because I don't know when the dealer is going to deliver the bike and for TB TS only he took 45 days.

My dealer says TB TS/Bullet electra 5s/Std 350 are hot in their showroom.That's the reason I opted for electra 5s.

But my main concern is,even though If I use my motorcycle at improper intervals like once in two months ,there will not be a problem right ? or else is there any better way to store my bike when it's not used.
Old 24th October 2009, 00:14   #10
BHPian

I have a STD 350 from June ! touch wood, there has not been a single problem, i just had to sit for 8 hrs. each for 2 services i took from RE. So if you keep your eyes open STD 350 is Awesome
Old 24th October 2009, 15:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude7 View Post

But my main concern is,even though If I use my motorcycle at improper intervals like once in two months ,there will not be a problem right ? or else is there any better way to store my bike when it's not used.
Rude
I have faced the situation you are talking about.
I have a std. 350 2006 model.
It often got idle for 20-30 days but many times it was idle for more than 2 months.
The issue I faced is the battery. In beginning when I left it for 2 months I started wrestle (at the time of start after 2 months) with bike for starting (30-50 kicks). But later on I use a trick to charge the battery and it got start within 2-3 kicks.
Except this I had never faced any other issue.
BUT it is advisable for any (Japanes, US, UK, Indian or whatever) bike to disconnect the battery and empty the petrol tank (& carburetor if possible) if it will be idle for a month or more.
If you are surly going to use within 2-3 months then problem is not as big as you are thinking.
Defiantly go for 2nd bullet.
There is no problem with Std. 350. But I will suggest for Electra 4S because of CDI ignition system. Also the seating posture on Electra is also comfortable compared to Std.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:34   #12
BHPian

Dude you are going to be free for 8 months and plan to do some riding and got yourself a TBTS. What is the use of the 2nd bike? Honestly all this is a waste of money, I mean, even if you can afford it, it doesnt really make a lot of sense money wise.

And when your bikes are idle while you are doing your studies, after you return you may not want to ride them coz the bikes would have stayed idle for long, caught rust here n there.

Instead of the RE Electra, get some nice riding gear - jackets, helmets, et all and enjoy your ride for the next 8 months. Once you come back after completing your studies pick up the latest steed availble then.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:41   #13
BHPian

Technology is changing rapidly. It is better to buy once you come back and settle down. Till then enjoy your current TBTS
Old 24th October 2009, 16:41   #14
BHPian

Rather than buying it here and storing it for 1.5 years why don't you buy the export version of the bullet in UK and enjoy riding it through the english countryside?
Old 26th October 2009, 15:41   #15
BHPian

@ Rude7
You want two bikes, go for it buddy !
As long as you have the money, Electra is always a good buy.

For your actual question, there would be some issues because of irregular idle periods. Not very much nagging and each time you would have to spend max a day or so to get it up and running.

Most Viewed