Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2005, 15:35   #1

Yam Rx135?

Hi folks,

Getting back to 2 wheeler days after a gap of 4-5 years. I have a slight back problem and am avg built. So my requirements are: light weight, low height, good pickup/power, low maintenance, decent looks.

After a quick search I am kind of settling in with Rx135 primarily because of its low weight/height and of course good pickup.

A few questions

(1) How are the newer Rx135 models? I know the 5 gear ones are discontinued. I read in one of the forums that the current model isn't giving as much performance as older ones.

(2) Rx135 will be phased-out sooner or later. Will there be issues with spare-parts? Going by what happned to Rx100, I guess this shouldn't be a problem.

(3) How are the newer 4-stroke models (Fazer etc) from Yamaha?

(4) How does the new Pulsar 150 dtsi compare with Rx 135? I know it's about 20kg extra, not sure about height difference.

(5) Any other models out there which would meet my requirements (not the 100cc ones)?

thanks for your help
Old 1st August 2005, 15:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you have back problem, I would suggest that you stay away from RX135. It's suspension is on stiffer ride, good for high speeds but not so good at lower speeds on bad roads/city, and will not offer you a plush ride. You might want to consider Fazer which offers better ride. Test drive and figure it out. Other than that, Pulsars are good bikes too, not sure how durable though, while I can very safely say that, Yamahas are built to last.
Old 1st August 2005, 16:31   #3
Tom
BHPian

if u have a back problem suggest u stay away from the older 2-stroke bikes.
Try the new Honda mono shock bike.
Old 1st August 2005, 18:05   #4

Folks,

The back problem isn't anything serious. I pulled too much weight during those exercise days and that probably causes occassional strain.

I just don't want to get into a situation where I have to push a heavy bike if there is a puncture or bike doesn't start.

Considering this, can you please provide replies to the questions I asked.

thanks again
Old 1st August 2005, 19:20   #5
BHPian

If you do not want heavy bike then go for the 100/125CC bikes. Try out the Fazer or Hero Honda Glamour or Bajaj Discover. They should be fine for your requirements.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:25   #6
BHPian

The rx135 is the right place to put your money if you are performance oriented. Stock, it will keep a 180dtsi honest. A modded one (rddreams.com) will tear up any production bike in India (Comet is not a production bike ). I have a vid of this to support it, will only post if situation demands.

Go for a 4 speed rx.
Old 1st August 2005, 19:47   #7
BHPian

You should probably go in for the Fazer or the Discover...both are good bikes and are very good maintainence-wise and performance wise. Both the bikes have got upgrades lately...discover coming with the SIS(something like that)suspension.It has also come with upgraded graphics....the fazer on the other hand ios a very good bike if your looking at a good maintainence. Yamaha is doing a good job trying to keep the sales of the Fazer...they have upgraded the fairing(the previous one sucked), but now its better.
Old 2nd August 2005, 09:17   #8

Thanks for the replies folks.

Somehow the current 4-strokes from Yamaha aren't appealing me. I know Fazer has been upgraded but it has yet to prove itself in the market.

I think I will go for Rx135, unless someone points out serious issues with the 2005 models.
Old 2nd August 2005, 10:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Achchu

As a person who has had severe back problems resulting in surgery on my poor spine, I wouldnt recommend that you ride a bike regularly. If you do, go for one that's heavier because it will jolt you around less. The only issue would be putting it on the centrestand, which is usually a trick that can be mastered with some practice. Running out of fuel...well, what can I say?

Take care of your back. Remember that if you have an issue with your back, it could immobilise you, since the spine is like the main frame and wiring harness on your bike rolled into one. If thats Kaput, you're grounded - you cant use the good forks and swingarms even if you want to.

Last edited by Steeroid : 2nd August 2005 at 10:30.
Old 28th September 2005, 01:14   #10
BHPian

a lot depends on the route and distance you intend to ride everyday. If you are riding more than 40 odd kms one-way a day (total 80 kms), i would strongly advise you to stay away from the RX-135.

I own one. i do mulund-kandivali stretch almost on a daily basis and trust me..its no fun. it will kill your back thanks to our road quality. Also inherently its not very well engineered for riding comfort. its a fun run-about and thats it.

its a fantastic peppy bike when you want to zip around within the suburbs. not one for the highway or extended rides or cruising.

anything more than 80 kms a day and with your cited back issues i'd say go for a cruiser which will probably be easier on your back. you have choices from yamaha's 125cc enticer, bajaj's 180cc avenger and enfield's 350cc thunderbird. i can vouch for the riding comfort of the thunderbird. i found it awesome as compared to my RX-135. but maintenance niggles might be an issue supposedly.
Old 28th September 2005, 08:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

lets start from the begininng

yezdi, bmw and Rajdoot are discontinued

enfield has some good bikes and these days they also have gas shocks. Enfield is known to give the best comfort on long rides. may be a bit tiring in the city and maintainence is on the higher side. (Top recommendation).

Lml has in its portfolio some very comfortable bikes. These bikes are made to last like its scooters. but resale will be poor. look at the graptor(recommended) or freedom.

kinetic has the gf170 that is a good bike but u will get better options from other manufacturers that are highly recommended.

hero honda has the Karizma(top recommendation) which is the best of a sports cruiser INdia has had. Has almost no negatives compared to other bikes.

Bajaj- the avenger is the INdian eliminator. again highly recommended until u dont like cruisers. (top recommendation)
on the cheaper not you also have the wind 125 or the discover.pulsars are not as comfortable as a Karizma on long drives.

tvs fiero is the best city commuter even today. IT doesnt win in performance but with 12 bhp it very good.( Top recommendation). go for the fx instead of the f2 which looks better.

yamaha has some good bikes too. the rx135 is too old to be considered anymore. fazer and libero are good options and the new fazer is highly recommended.even the enticer is good and comfortable but with 125cc it feels to underpowered.

honda unicorn is an excellent bike. IT is the better part of a cbz and is higly comfortable with the single mono shock

top list of recommendations

enfield
hero honda karizma
Honda unicorn/tvs fiero fx
yamaha fazer
bajaj avenger

hope this helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks