Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:27   #1
KK9

Should I go in for the Standard Bullet

Hi guys, have burnt my fingers buying R15 and at that time itself should have gone for tbts. r15 was a great bike but made me tired trying to do short tours and also uncomfy for wifey when sitting pillion. Nothing more comfortable than bullet. Did td of electra (found false neutrals and low pickup), tbts(didnt like seating, no bullet looks, again false neutrals). Loved the nachismos (avl n 500) but now they are phased out and am completely disappointed. That is when I heard on various forums and personally too from different people that if you want to buy a bullet then go in for standard. But a wee bit scared to face the maintenance woes that might befall me or worse it dying on me while touring remote places. I love to do touring solo and so all the more worried. But am also fascinated by the classic retro looks, right shift gearbox plus fact that it will be a rarity in todays world of bikes. Need advice if I should go in for that. Currentlyhave an rx 135 for last 11 years and just got it done like new. But feeling of heavy bike is a great feeling and am sure my wifey will be comfy on it. Need it for sunday trips out of mumbai (pune, lonavala, alibag etc) But also need it to not break down etc. Am also thinking of 500 EFI classis that id due to be launched. But a standard is supposed to be the best bullet as lots of folks have said. Royally (Royal Enfield) confused and unsure since want to buy brand new and dont want to burn my fingers like i did with the r15. Please help suggest if standard is right for me. Am 35 years old and price not really a consideration. Loved Machismos and real sad that its phased out. Should I go for classis or standard considering its pure leisure and some commuting too thrown in for good measure.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:25   #2
BHPian

You would have same problems with Standard, the gearbox is worse than electra (5s) and TBTS. The Pickup would be same as Electra.

Its not a fill it and forget it bike. You have to take care of it.

But you have a misconception that it would die on you on long tours, there are set guidelines on riding it, follow them and nothing would happen. Its been in service for a very long time and it does have certain reliability factor that keeps it going while all its peers have collapsed. You just need to carry some spares with you, like cables and all, and you would be fine.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:34   #3
BHPian

Get yourself a Classic 500 and you should be all set to go
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:42   #4
BANNED

This is a no brainer. 500 EFI, in whatever guise they make it available.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Before you have any misconceptions of the Standard 350 and be influenced by anyone who claims that its the only true Bullet, take a look at this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1561255-post57.html

in this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...lectra-5s.html

I'd recommend to go in for the newer Enfield Bullets. Like Shahank mentioned about Bullets, "Its not a fill it and forget it bike. You have to take care of it." That especially goes for the Standard 350, not because its exquisite or special but because it has more regular checks to keep it functioning well.

Progress is good, and Enfield have done that with the newer Bullets. They've seen the problems and issues among their bikes since 50 years and have heard the complaints. These issues have been sorted out with newer engines, better electricals, a new gearbox, etc.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:07   #6

I have owned a Machismo 2005 AVL previously and presently own a Std. 350. All I can is that the ride and feel of the Machismo is far removed from what a true bullet (Std. 350) should feel like. The Machismo is very peppy, but feels loose n rattly and definitely lucks the thump of a cast-iron block. However, the bike is truly trouble-free and will give you great confidence on long rides (great mileage too). The Std. 350 is like nothing else on Indian roads in terms of its ride, feel and character. It cruises comfortably at 80kmph and is reasonably quick in city traffic too. However, it does come with its share of problems (which can be managed). The point system needs regular cleaning, adjusting. The electricals tend to have some teething problems which settle down after a while. All in all, I'd say go for the Std. 350 if you're really passionate about the Royal Enfield. If you want a practical, trouble-free biking solution, go for the Machismo. Btw, I recently completed 3400km on a ride from Delhi-Ludhiana-Jammu-Kargil-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Delhi on my Std. 350 and the bike was trouble-free
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:20   #7
BHPian

If you want trouble free experience, then the newer models should do it for you. But as of now, all is speculation, because they look good on paper, however the real thing will come out after 2-3 months.

Personally, I feel that 500cc engines are a challenge, the parts for 500 CI are already very difficult to source, and RE has sold like 8k-10k 500LB in all, so going further their parts are going to be a challenge too. 500cc bikes are good to discuss in biker community and enthusiasts, but they do not sell in numbers as 350 ones do.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:38   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zariquez View Post
The Std. 350 is like nothing else on Indian roads in terms of its ride, feel and character.
Arguable statement. But to each his own.

Quote:
All in all, I'd say go for the Std. 350 if you're really passionate about the Royal Enfield.
I think the requirement is a comfortable long distance tourer.

Quote:
If you want a practical, trouble-free biking solution, go for the Machismo.
Not available now as the thread initiator has mentioned.

Quote:
Btw, I recently completed 3400km on a ride from Delhi-Ludhiana-Jammu-Kargil-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-Delhi on my Std. 350 and the bike was trouble-free
Awesome. Please start a travelogue on here. Would be a great read for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
But as of now, all is speculation
There are a lot of reports in press abroad that RE has bettered their products - please go through the entire thread on Bullet Classic. You will find links and posts by members telling you so.

Also JayPrashant has added bits where the issues were noticed by the customers there and how RE went about rectifying them.

He even said that this time round the guinea pigs were the customers abroad instead of us.

And I added that is so because abroad they call a spade a spade and dont digress into character and all that.

We are not looking at perfection which no one can deliver and see that a big effort has gone into the new products from RE.

Quote:
RE has sold like 8k-10k 500LB in all,
Thats a fair number for a bike which costs 1 lakh plus.

Quote:
500cc bikes are good to discuss in biker community and enthusiasts, but they do not sell in numbers as 350 ones do.
So? Whats the conclusion from the above statement.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

UCE500 if you want a fairly reliable, quick and comfortable motorcycle. STD350 if you want to buy a classic, brand new from the showroom. Apart from the fact that both these models are made by RE, they are different as chalk from cheese.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is an easy choice based on your requirements. Get yourself a Classic 500 with EFI.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So? Whats the conclusion from the above statement.
Conclusion is 350cc bikes from RE are more practical than their 500cc counterparts. I am not talking about good or bad, just more easy to handle and maintain.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:40   #12
BHPian

What did you not like about the seating on a TBTS?

For your requirement (long rides + comfortable for pillion + decent reliability) you can't go wrong with the TBTS. Of course if you like the Std better generally then that also will do for you. False neutrals are there but that problem goes away as you get familiar with the bike (you learn to slot in the gears hard )
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:10   #13
BHPian

I have a Lb 500 and love zipping it in the hills. The torque is really impressive and it's more apparent when U ride two-up. Even i was torn between the classic looks and the charms of the Standard 350 and the superior acceleration & power of the Lb 500.

When I roar up and overtake a line of cars I feel completely justified in going in for the latest, most powerful 500 but then every time a standard 350 with it's classic pinstriped tank, black mudguards and iron engine thumps by, I sigh longingly and secretly wish I had the patience to ride leisurely on that machine.

Am now planning to buy an Rd350 and get it restored properly or go in for the latest fastest jap rocket to fulfill my need for speed cravings. the moment i do that, I'll sell off my LB and buy the Standard 350 or a restored Iron Engined 500 as a second bike. That one, I would keep to pass it off to my kids...

Yes, as others have pointed out that every successive Enfield model has come with some improvement in technology, from the Iron Engine to the AVL and now the UCE engine is here. But the trade- off is that with every successive improvement in the technology, the Bullet loses a little bit more of it's charm- the very charm that endears itself to it's fans.

Rode my friend's Twinspark TBird the other day- my, was it smooth.. it almost felt like a Jap bike. But then if i wanted a Jap bike feel, I'd buy a Jap Bike.
The sole reason for the popularity of the Bullet is because of it's classic charms- Call it the Thump, the ride quality, the feel.... You buy the Bullet despite it's niggling problems, despite it's not too great fuel efficiency, despite it's countless technological shortcomings as compared to the modern bikes.

You buy the Bullet for it's charms and for the feel- and trust me, after owning quite a few bullets- old and new, i can assure you none can give u the thrill as the Cast Iron Engined 350/500. With Gears on the right and neutral finder.

After a few months u realise that u don't really need the self start and the colorful paint. What u do need is the front disc brake and that can be easily retro fitted - 8 grands, isn't it?

Many may not agree with me, but I feel like a poser when I'm on my AVl 500 and I ride next to someone on the CI Bull. The only thing that makes me feel slightly better is when I show him a clean pair of heels but then that's not what riding the Enfield is all about, is it?

And Now i see the UCE Enfield is coming with 18 inch wheels That's like the Porsche Panamera with it's four doors- An abhorrent abnormality- a freak created in the pits of Hell and must be strangled at birth.....

Yup, must be getting old....

Let the flamings begin..
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:27   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Let the flamings begin..
No one actually gets the reasons for the cribs.

I like/love/adore the STD 350 for all that it is.

My basic issue was make the bike with better quality parts. THATS IT.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Many may not agree with me, but I feel like a poser when I'm on my AVl 500 and I ride next to someone on the CI Bull. The only thing that makes me feel slightly better is when I show him a clean pair of heels but then that's not what riding the Enfield is all about, is it?
Thats why I gave away my Mach, it was a stunner no doubt, but I actually felt like a poser against the rugged, scrapy CI bulls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks