Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 00:16   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield - Troubleshooting and technical support thread

Hi

this is for all bullet lovers.. from the last couple of years i build several bullets and continously trying to understand them as much as i can. now bullets are in my blood.
it would be great if i can be of any help to bullet guys. engine or any technical problem, you can ask it here and i will try to answer them with all i have.

happy thumping
Sajid
crazy4s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2009, 12:31   #2
BHPian

Sajid, great ! thanks for the offer !.

I do not have a problem with my bullet now, but would like to use your services.
Do you have pictures of parts you have worked on ? Can you post up photos of the bike you my have with parts marked ? ( eg. Seat removed, pointing out various parts and circuits ?)
Old 5th November 2009, 12:50   #3
BHPian

74 Bull

Hi Sajid,

Thats a really nice start of a thread. I do have a problem for you :-)

A month back, I had purchased a 74 Bull, offlate after riding for 100kms, my bull stops after riding for some 5kms. It stops with small jerks, as though it has run out of petrol, but there is petrol. Also noticed that the engine has become real hot, this might be common among bulls. But to get it started, I have to clean the spark plug, wait for 2 mins and then start, but it would just stop after riding for another 1 km. This happens endlessly, i.e., stop at every 1 km of ride. It was real nightmare for me to get back home and I am glad it was in the night, else the scorching sun in Hyderabad would have drained me out completely. My mechanic says, there might be a problem with the electricals, and that he would check it. I had recently purchased a new SF battery, so I am not sure where the problem is. Any suggestions will be great.

Thanks
Pretorian.
Old 5th November 2009, 12:58   #4
BHPian

Pretorian @ What are the speeds you were riding on ?

Sajod @ here are few of my queries, had posted them an another thread, but here you go again.

This is for a new standard 350.

1. Shall run-in the bike same as specified in the manual ? i.e. no hard revving and riding in 45-55kmph band ? Any special care ? additives ?

2. If I go for a conical filter, and upjet the carb (I guess the standard is 85), what impact does it have on the bike ? (better pickup or mileage or top speed)

3. If I change the front sprocket to say 19 tooth one, it is essentially going to increase my top speed, while reducing the pickup or low end torque. But does it have any impact on the engine ?
Old 5th November 2009, 13:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Hey Shashank, I limit myself to 40-50kmph.
Old 5th November 2009, 15:49   #6
BHPian

work has begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Sajid, great ! thanks for the offer !.

I do not have a problem with my bullet now, but would like to use your services.
Do you have pictures of parts you have worked on ? Can you post up photos of the bike you my have with parts marked ? ( eg. Seat removed, pointing out various parts and circuits ?)

hi ashok
thanks for all the compliments. soon i will be uploading the pictures related to bullet

thanks
sajid
Old 5th November 2009, 18:14   #7
BHPian

@pretorian, I had a similar experience once, after a water wash. All of a sudden, the bike started showing symptoms of starving for petrol and stopped running.
It was a lose connection somewhere, to this day, I do not know what. This is what I did. Opened the seat, took the spark plug and saw that spark was not correct. Cleaned it and then touched all parts under the seat to ensure they were all correct. Gave a firm touch on everysingle component there, and tried to start the bike. It worked.
Regret now for having not done that one part at a time, so I could have isolated the issue.
Take your bike to a good mechanic. Sudhakar Anna's garage at Ranigunj is a good place. There is an electrician also nearby if you need help that way.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
Hi Sajid,

Thats a really nice start of a thread. I do have a problem for you :-)

A month back, I had purchased a 74 Bull, offlate after riding for 100kms, my bull stops after riding for some 5kms. It stops with small jerks, as though it has run out of petrol, but there is petrol. Also noticed that the engine has become real hot, this might be common among bulls. But to get it started, I have to clean the spark plug, wait for 2 mins and then start, but it would just stop after riding for another 1 km. This happens endlessly, i.e., stop at every 1 km of ride. It was real nightmare for me to get back home and I am glad it was in the night, else the scorching sun in Hyderabad would have drained me out completely. My mechanic says, there might be a problem with the electricals, and that he would check it. I had recently purchased a new SF battery, so I am not sure where the problem is. Any suggestions will be great.

Thanks
Pretorian.
hello dear

first of all i suggest you to replace your spark plug, it seemed to be shorted n do take a look on ignition timing

Let me know what transpires
good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post

Sajod @ here are few of my queries, had posted them an another thread, but here you go again.

This is for a new standard 350.

1. Shall run-in the bike same as specified in the manual ? i.e. no hard revving and riding in 45-55kmph band ? Any special care ? additives ?

2. If I go for a conical filter, and upjet the carb (I guess the standard is 85), what impact does it have on the bike ? (better pickup or mileage or top speed)

3. If I change the front sprocket to say 19 tooth one, it is essentially going to increase my top speed, while reducing the pickup or low end torque. But does it have any impact on the engine ?
let me answer in the same manner

1) yes do maintain that speed and do not try to over throttle if your bull is new..there are more chances of piston seizure in case of new cylinder-piston

2) conical air filters are mostly used for modifications and style, taking indian conditions into account you would be quite better with the factory fitment

3) yes it do affect your engine, in low rpm's or while riding uphill you would see a noticable load on your engine. The Bullet 350 comes standard with a 16-tooth sprocket and the Original Bullet 500 comes with a 17-tooth
19 tooth is used in 5 speed bullets
Old 5th November 2009, 23:29   #9
BHPian

Sajid - Can you confirm that is indeed 19 teeth on the 350cc Electra 5S? 18 was mentioned on a different thread, so want to make sure.

I myself wish to try a taller front sprocket on a 500 CI. Me thinks, if it is factory fitted on a smaller 350cc motor, it should be OK on a 500cc motor without straining it. Besides, I have always felt the 500 could do with a taller final gear. Many a time I have pressed the gear shift in a vain attempt to move to the top gear when I was already in 4th! However, on extremely steep inclines it would exacerbate the problem due the bullet's inherent weight penalty. It ought to work well for highways and gentle rolling hills. However, it is not recommended if you are touring the Himalayas.

The 19 tooth sprocket on the 5s works IMO, because there is one extra gear to play with and the gear ratios are closer compared to the 4s.
Old 6th November 2009, 00:10   #10
BHPian

hi
thanks for pointing out the sprocket issue. keeping indian bullets in mind you are pretty correct. [COLOR=#2f2f2f][FONT=Arial]These 5-Speed Countershaft Sprockets are basically fitted in English bullets. In India thet are known as a replacement. If you change from the OEM size (Original Bullet 500 - 17T, Electra and Bullet AVL - 18T) a general rule of thumb is: at the same highway speed a larger gear will allow the engine to run at a lower rpm than the OEM sprocket. With a modified engine (more horsepower) you will also get more top-end speed[/FONT][/COLOR]
Old 6th November 2009, 00:14   #11
BHPian

happy thumping......

Last edited by crazy4s : 6th November 2009 at 00:18.
Old 6th November 2009, 00:16   #12
BHPian

well, I know that it will struggle with initial pickup and climbs, however I am talking about cruising speeds on plains. Going above 85 is not recommended on CI engines, however with changed sprocket and increasing the top speed, what are the things that one must keep in mind ?
Old 6th November 2009, 00:27   #13
BHPian

in higher top end speed the trade-off is losing take-off power and putting an additional strain on the clutch for which we recommend heavier clutch spring kit. If you use a smaller gear than stock you will gain power and lose top-end speed

less power at low gear and high speed at higher gear ratio

Mod's Note: Please type your posts directly on the board. Avoid copy-pasting from Word or any other external editor. It creates unreadable posts.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

2005 Bullet Machismo LB350 AVL

Recently replaced the starter coil in the alternator that is connected to the CDI unit. Is this coil different from the other five charging coils? Because the mechanic installed a "Swiss Charging Coil" in place of the starter coil. The bike seems to be working fine without any misfire.

Hope I used the right terms.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:59   #15
BHPian

Hi crazy4s,

I have a 2005 Electra 5s. I just wanted to have a good thump sound like the old bullets. I have even installed the old silencer. But the thump is not so good.
I heard that if the breather pipe(i hope this is correct,it is below the spark plug) is blocked the thump will get good is it true.

Pls give suggestions on making the thump better.

Regards,
Vamsi

Royal Enfield - Troubleshooting and technical support thread-8188_11.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks