Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 15:24   #1

Classic Pulsar 180 - Unreliable gearbox & harsh ride

Hi guys,

I own a stock 2002 Pulsar 180 (a.k.a. Classic or non-DTSi). It’s done just about 49000 km on the odo. Issues I have been facing with the bike are:
  1. Gearshifts not being smooth. I know this is a very common thing, but I still need help. Sometimes, while upshifting, the gears shift in two or even three steps for a single gear, meaning I can feel two or three distinct steps while upshifting from one gear to the next. False neutrals also take place sometimes. Downshifting also sometimes ends up in a false neutral gear. This gear problem has been quite prominent right from the third service. Oddly, sometimes the bike feels worse after a service.
  2. Harsh ride quality. This doesn’t seem to be stemming from the engine itself but seems to be from the drivetrain (cam, gears, sprocket, crankshaft, etc.) and I can sense the vibrations more at the left footpeg. There is also a feeling as if the chain is loose, but on checking, the chain is at the right tension and mild tightening doesn’t seem to help.
These are the two main factors responsible for having taken the joy out of riding an otherwise beautiful machine. I have touched 123 kmph (speedo-indicated) with pillion on BLR-MYS Rd with not a single vibration or feeling of harshness at that speed. This is my first bike which I bought myself and so am certainly attached to it and don’t intend selling it.

Is it possible that the gears/cogs some bearings are worn out? The gear problem could be solved by taking a look at the entire gear mechanism instead of just resetting the clutch. Every service person just says the clutch is worn out and in the last seven years, I have changed all the clutch plates 5-6 times. This has never caused an improvement in the gears. At service centres, they say that just checking the gears and other related parts would involve dismantling the entire engine and would cost a bomb, but even when I say that I don’t mind paying for it, they have never opened up to check the internals.

Is it possible that the rubber engine mounts are flattened/hardened and so the ride is harsh since normal engine vibrations are being transmitted to the chassis?

Once these two issues are sorted out, I intend getting the entire bike refurbished with new stock parts as headlight dome rim, indicators and a few other plastics have gone rusty/old/brittle. No modification on my mind for now!

TC
Old 5th November 2009, 19:54   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq_On View Post
Hi guys,

I own a stock 2002 Pulsar 180 (a.k.a. Classic or non-DTSi). It’s done just about 49000 km on the odo. Issues I have been facing with the bike are:
  1. Gearshifts not being smooth. I know this is a very common thing, but I still need help. Sometimes, while upshifting, the gears shift in two or even three steps for a single gear, meaning I can feel two or three distinct steps while upshifting from one gear to the next. False neutrals also take place sometimes. Downshifting also sometimes ends up in a false neutral gear. This gear problem has been quite prominent right from the third service. Oddly, sometimes the bike feels worse after a service.
  2. Harsh ride quality. This doesn’t seem to be stemming from the engine itself but seems to be from the drivetrain (cam, gears, sprocket, crankshaft, etc.) and I can sense the vibrations more at the left footpeg. There is also a feeling as if the chain is loose, but on checking, the chain is at the right tension and mild tightening doesn’t seem to help.
These are the two main factors responsible for having taken the joy out of riding an otherwise beautiful machine. I have touched 123 kmph (speedo-indicated) with pillion on BLR-MYS Rd with not a single vibration or feeling of harshness at that speed. This is my first bike which I bought myself and so am certainly attached to it and don’t intend selling it.

Is it possible that the gears/cogs some bearings are worn out? The gear problem could be solved by taking a look at the entire gear mechanism instead of just resetting the clutch. Every service person just says the clutch is worn out and in the last seven years, I have changed all the clutch plates 5-6 times. This has never caused an improvement in the gears. At service centres, they say that just checking the gears and other related parts would involve dismantling the entire engine and would cost a bomb, but even when I say that I don’t mind paying for it, they have never opened up to check the internals.

Is it possible that the rubber engine mounts are flattened/hardened and so the ride is harsh since normal engine vibrations are being transmitted to the chassis?

Once these two issues are sorted out, I intend getting the entire bike refurbished with new stock parts as headlight dome rim, indicators and a few other plastics have gone rusty/old/brittle. No modification on my mind for now!

TC
I love this bike dude- I wish I had not sold it, if you have bought it second hand please tell me its 4296, will buy it back rite now!

As for the ride, I totallly agree this bike is a pain to change to first from neutral always gives out a loud noise, but the trick to change the rest of the gears is to use your heel rather than your toes, and cutting gears at the right RPM also makes a lot of differerence, when you are braking/slowing down- make sure to rev and cut down.

Take your chain gaurd off if you have one, this solves the chain problem to an extent. many may recommend against it but a regular cleaning is required if you do this.

See- its a bajaj, but this model is a masterpiece, you will have to live with some problems.

The harsh ride after service is because of the mechs in your service station not changing gears properly.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
I love this bike dude- I wish I had not sold it, if you have bought it second hand please tell me its 4296, will buy it back rite now!

As for the ride, I totallly agree this bike is a pain to change to first from neutral always gives out a loud noise, but the trick to change the rest of the gears is to use your heel rather than your toes, and cutting gears at the right RPM also makes a lot of differerence, when you are braking/slowing down- make sure to rev and cut down.

Take your chain gaurd off if you have one, this solves the chain problem to an extent. many may recommend against it but a regular cleaning is required if you do this.

See- its a bajaj, but this model is a masterpiece, you will have to live with some problems.

The harsh ride after service is because of the mechs in your service station not changing gears properly.
well said man this technique is the best option. myself having one, if you cange it with the right rpm it goes in very smooth but a little here and there you may receive a thug noise
Old 5th November 2009, 20:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

The solution is to change 3 springs behind the clutch assembly which control the gear change . Give a try since you have tried many things .
This solution worked for me.
Also inspect the shift rod ,while you are changing, for any groves or damage/wear and tear .

Last edited by black12rr : 5th November 2009 at 20:33.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:29   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
The solution is to change 3 springs behind the clutch assembly which control the gear change . Give a try since you have tried many things .
This solution worked for me.
Also inspect the shift rod which you are changing for any groves or damage/wear and tear .
you mean is to replace them?
Old 5th November 2009, 20:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes replace the 3 springs .
Old 11th November 2009, 13:29   #7
BHPian

i owe a Classic 180 i dont recall wht my mechanic guy did with the gear box but its awesome smooth with out any noise and do change sometime gear without cluth too and still its butter smooth for me
Old 12th November 2009, 16:38   #8
BHPian

I have one as well, not used for the last year or so. I plan to redo the bike again soon. Will post some pics when i do. This was my first bike and I did many many long rides on the same. The bike was always there in my initial strugle in the big city and has been a faithful friend always. thats why I never sold it.

Comming to the hard gears did you change the clutchplates ot the pressure plates as well ? You may need to change the pressure plates as they get thinner and distortes.
Old 10th December 2009, 15:18   #9

Thanks guys for all your replies.

@ samuraijack: This is a bike that I bought brand new and is my very first bike, which is why I'm reluctant to sell it off. I totally understand how you feel about the bike.

@ dhananjay: I agree with you and samuraijack about changing gears at the right rpm (works best for me between 5000 - 6000) but the issue is mostly when riding in traffic where you can't really rev that high.

@ black12rr: are you sure it's 3 springs and not 4? could you let me know the specific part that has these springs? The shift rod had been changed about a couple of years back even though it had not worn out, but there was still no improvement.

@ sanjusahu: could you find out from your mechanic what he did and let me know? Also, where did you get it done?

@bhogal: the clutch plates and pressure plates have been completely changed at least 5 times in the past 7-1/2 years at Bajaj service centres. I guess they did it as a trial and error method, but there has never been any improvement, and the gear feel has deteriorated.

Have any of you guys also changed the rubber engine mounts on your Classic? My mounts seem to have become brittle and flattened or cracked, which could also be contributing to vibrations that I have been feeling over the last coupld of years. Is the engine mount kit still available?

TC
Old 4th April 2010, 00:59   #10
BHPian

hi torq on, do you still have the problems cuz i might be able to help
Old 11th October 2010, 21:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Please proceed. You are looking confident!!
Old 18th October 2010, 11:50   #12

Quote:
Dude, sorry I missed seeing this post of yours. I'm still facing the problem and would be superglad if you could help me. Please lemme know.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:07   #13

Re: Classic Pulsar 180 - Unreliable gearbox & harsh ride

Quote:
@mycarhasablower: Buddy... would like your help, please!! I'm still looking for a solution.
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:14   #14
BHPian

tell me what all have you done to rectify the problem till now. ill put up pics to guide you from there.

Also tell me more about your riding style. how fast you go , how often , how much do you rev it. there are a couple of design flaws in the first pulsar which were corrected later. but then depending on your riding it could be wear as well

so give me accurate information

you have mentioned that the clutch and pressure plates have been changed. but has the clutch drum been changed? its the assembly that contains the friction plates and pressure plates

the service personel are correct in mentioning that checking the gearbox means dismantling the engine to the very last bolt, which is unadvisable for this problem because in my opinion the problem is most likely to be in the clutch itself. unless your riding style is very harsh or you dont change oil on time then the gears and the shifting mechanisms are unlikely to be damaged.

then again you have mentioned that you havedone 123 kmph with a pillion. that is definitely brutal treatment so you never know, but then lets see.

do tell me how capable you are when it comes to mechanical work. Can you dismantle the clutch yourself? or will you have to depend on a mechanic. Cuz the service centre people will definitely object to the change i want to implement.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 2nd September 2011 at 22:32.
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:50   #15

Thanks for offering to help. My replies are underlined and are beside your own questions/comments so the correlation is clearer. (Mods, please note.)

Quote:
tell me what all have you done to rectify the problem till now. ill put up pics to guide you from there.

Also tell me more about your riding style. how fast you go , how often , how much do you rev it. --I almost always ride at 60 kmph and that is at exactly 4000 rpm on the 2002 model. I have revved to 9000 rpm occasionally (about once a week or so) for a few months when I used to work in the night shift back in late 2002 - early 2003, and would do so only on the highway, touching 100 kmph for less than a minute. However, I noticed this gear slippage and false neutral problem soon after the first service. It just worsened over the years. I initially used to get an FE of 47 kmpl but now it is consistently 40 kmpl for the last 7-8 years.-- there are a couple of design flaws in the first pulsar which were corrected later. but then depending on your riding it could be wear as well

so give me accurate information

you have mentioned that the clutch and pressure plates have been changed. but has the clutch drum been changed? its the assembly that contains the friction plates and pressure plates. --Yes, I am aware. This has not been changed but was ported sometime in 2003, wherein the Bajaj service centre mechanics made three equidistant cuts, 1-cm wide and 2-cm long, in the drum saying it would enable freer flow of engine oil throughout the clutch assembly. I really didn't find a difference even after that.--

the service personel are correct in mentioning that checking the gearbox means dismantling the engine to the very last bolt, which is unadvisable for this problem because in my opinion the problem is most likely to be in the clutch itself. unless your riding style is very harsh or you dont change oil on time then the gears and the shifting mechanisms are unlikely to be damaged. --There were a couple of months sometime in early 2005 and again a couple of months in 2009 where the engine oil had gone to a bare minimum and I was not aware until I got it serviced.--

then again you have mentioned that you havedone 123 kmph with a pillion. that is definitely brutal treatment so you never know, but then lets see. -- Riding at 123 kmph was just once with a better rider than me at the bars on Mysore Road. Also, anywhere over 100 kmph was a rarity and still is.--

do tell me how capable you are when it comes to mechanical work. Can you dismantle the clutch yourself? or will you have to depend on a mechanic. Cuz the service centre people will definitely object to the change i want to implement.
--I will have to depend on a mechanic as I have neither the know-how nor the tools, but I have recently started giving my bike to a Castrol Bike Point near my house where the service is better than most other places and the engineer/manager is open to suggestions. I could give him a try. If your method has been successful and if it is easy to understand, I don't think it would be a problem convincing them to use it. I could either take printouts or show them on my laptop.--

--Pls let me know if you need any further info.--

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks